abdulmuhaimin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
i know that amino acids are 100% monomers, but monomers are identical units that join to make polymers, amino acids have variable R groups, but doesn't that change the function and structure of the amino acids that make it different to all the other amino acids thats join together?
The Diplomat.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by abdulmuhaimin)
i know that amino acids are 100% monomers, but monomers are identical units that join to make polymers, amino acids have variable R groups, but doesn't that change the function and structure of the amino acids that make it different to all the other amino acids thats join together?
They are called monomers because they will always be able to bind to each other to create a polymer (as the it occurs between amino and carboxyl group), regardless of whatever the R group will be.
abdulmuhaimin
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Diplomat.)
They are called monomers because they will always be able to bind to each other to create a polymer (as the it occurs between amino and carboxyl group), regardless of whatever the R group will be.
i know that and i absolutely agree but doesn't the R group change the function of the amino acid so how can we say that the amino acid is a monomer of their are different r groups in the amino acids because they arent identical to each other anymore
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i know that and i absolutely agree but doesn't the R group change the function of the amino acid so how can we say that the amino acid is a monomer of their are different r groups in the amino acids because they arent identical to each other anymore
Each monomer (or repeating unit) in a polymer sequence does not have to be the same
abdulmuhaimin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asklepios)
Each monomer (or repeating unit) in a polymer sequence does not have to be the same
why not?
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
why not?
Well why would all the monomers need to be the same? All they need is to be able to link together.
Asad_2015
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
R groups technically don't change the structure but the bonds that can be made with different r groups allow different structures, I.e, di sulphide bond. There are 20 types of AAs each with slight variation, monomers are just single units that combine together to form polymers, the bond formed between two AAs is called peptide

Posted from TSR Mobile
abdulmuhaimin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asklepios)
Well why would all the monomers need to be the same? All they need is to be able to link together.
monomers are identical units, so of course they have to be the same
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (21)
9.55%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (132)
60%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.64%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (32)
14.55%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.27%

Watched Threads