The Student Room Group

Previous landlord will not give me his address

I have asked my previous landlord for my deposit back and he is ignoring my calls/texts/emails, and I don't have his address so can't write to him, not sure what to do, any advice appreciated... !
Do you know what deposit protection scheme your deposit was put in? If so you can contact them. If not contact citizens advice.
Reply 2
Original post by The Racist Dragon
I have asked my previous landlord for my deposit back and he is ignoring my calls/texts/emails, and I don't have his address so can't write to him, not sure what to do, any advice appreciated... !

What deposit protection scheme was it put into? If you don't know, contact all 3 of them(https://www.gov.uk/deposit-protection-schemes-and-landlords/overview) and see which has it.

If none of them do then your landlord has broken the law and you'll need to get legal advice.
Original post by SophieSmall
Do you know what deposit protection scheme your deposit was put in? If so you can contact them. If not contact citizens advice.

There's nothing about a deposit protection scheme in my contract. I think the whole thing is a bit dodgy, he got all his letters from the bank sent there which makes me think he had a residential mortgage on the place without telling the bank he was renting the place out...

Original post by Reue
What deposit protection scheme was it put into? If you don't know, contact all 3 of them(https://www.gov.uk/deposit-protection-schemes-and-landlords/overview) and see which has it.

If none of them do then your landlord has broken the law and you'll need to get legal advice.

Thanks, will try this :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
There's nothing about a deposit protection scheme in my contract. I think the whole thing is a bit dodgy, he got all his letters from the bank sent there which makes me think he had a residential mortgage on the place without telling the bank he was renting the place out...

Thanks, will try this :smile:

Regardless of what the tenancy agreement says landlords are legally obliged to register your deposit with a deposit protection scheme. If he hasn't then he could get in a lot of trouble.
Regardless of what the tenancy agreement says landlords are legally obliged to register your deposit with a deposit protection scheme. If he hasn't then he could get in a lot of trouble.

He hasn't, i've just checked all 3. On HRMC it says that if i still live there, the court may decide that I can stay there after the end of the tenancy. Do you know what happens if I have already left?
He hasn't, i've just checked all 3. On HRMC it says that if i still live there, the court may decide that I can stay there after the end of the tenancy. Do you know what happens if I have already left?

You still have right even after having still left. CAB will be able to tell you exactly what route you should take in getting your deposit back, and you may even be able to get more in compensation since he didn't register you.

How did you check by the way? I've never had to check before.
You still have right even after having still left. CAB will be able to tell you exactly what route you should take in getting your deposit back, and you may even be able to get more in compensation since he didn't register you.

How did you check by the way? I've never had to check before.

on each website theres a section where you can search if it was registered - you enter your surname, date of tenancy and address
on each website theres a section where you can search if it was registered - you enter your surname, date of tenancy and address

Ah cool thanks. Good to know for future reference. There are a lot of dodgy landlords out there, and unfortunately a lot of people who don't know their rights.
Ah cool thanks. Good to know for future reference. There are a lot of dodgy landlords out there, and unfortunately a lot of people who don't know their rights.

Yeah, I'm just worried I won't be able to start legal proceedings without knowing the landlords address, or would the CAB be able to find that out for me?
Yeah, I'm just worried I won't be able to start legal proceedings without knowing the landlords address, or would the CAB be able to find that out for me?

He should have a registered address with the council for mail and tax.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending