Reindeer1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am considering taking Creative Writing as an AS level which i'll drop after a year as in my school that is the only option if you take it. But I want to know how difficult it is, how much work is involved and how recognised it is by universities and Russel Groups.
Many thanks
Zahid~
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Creative writing is looked down upon. I wouldnt really consider doing it since some Universities dont accept it as an A level.
I guess its good if you want extra UCAS points, but considering youre wanting to go Russel group, theyll probably ask for specific grades.
Better to do something else
Reindeer1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Zahid~)
Creative writing is looked down upon. I wouldnt really consider doing it since some Universities dont accept it as an A level.
I guess its good if you want extra UCAS points, but considering youre wanting to go Russel group, theyll probably ask for specific grades.
Better to do something else
Ok thank you for your help
username1468462
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did Creative Writing for AS and am now doing it for A2 and am loving it. I've currently got offers for Bristol and Exeter (both Russell Group) and an unconditional for UEA. All of these are top 15 unis - Creative Writing is part of all of my offers. If it's something you think you'd enjoy and do well in, then I would absolutely recommend taking it. I haven't heard of anyone having it excluded from their offer. Some people might say that it's an "easy option", but I can assure you if you want to do it well, it's just as much work as any other A level - who's to say when a poem's finished? No one has anything against drama/art/music A levels - all art forms, just like creative writing. In my opinion, you'll always do better in a subject you're enjoying than in one that you take because other people think it's more "prestigious". If you want any details specifically on the AS spec or anything else, ask me!
lamentas
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by z1ggystardust)
I did Creative Writing for AS and am now doing it for A2 and am loving it. I've currently got offers for Bristol and Exeter (both Russell Group) and an unconditional for UEA. All of these are top 15 unis - Creative Writing is part of all of my offers. If it's something you think you'd enjoy and do well in, then I would absolutely recommend taking it. I haven't heard of anyone having it excluded from their offer. Some people might say that it's an "easy option", but I can assure you if you want to do it well, it's just as much work as any other A level - who's to say when a poem's finished? No one has anything against drama/art/music A levels - all art forms, just like creative writing. In my opinion, you'll always do better in a subject you're enjoying than in one that you take because other people think it's more "prestigious". If you want any details specifically on the AS spec or anything else, ask me!
Hi, I was watching this post because I really want to do the CW A level and having looked at its criteria, it seems pretty robust. I'm looking at doing Eng Lit and Creative Writing as degree so am rethinking my old options of 1) English Lit 2) English and 3) History as A levels and thinking of doing instead 1) Eng Lit 2) Creative Writing and 3) History. What is your opinion of this?
username1468462
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've applied for English Lit and CW at UEA and I do all of those subjects and got an unconditional so I'd say that's a strong combination! 😊 Also, if you've been looking at Lit and CW degrees you might have seen that many ask for you to send a portfolio - if you do CW A level you'll already have loads of work you know has been worked on to a high standard for you to send off. That will definitely help with your uni application when it comes around!
lamentas
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've applied for English Lit and CW at UEA and I do all of those subjects and got an unconditional so I'd say that's a strong combination! 😊 Also, if you've been looking at Lit and CW degrees you might have seen that many ask for you to send a portfolio - if you do CW A level you'll already have loads of work you know has been worked on to a high standard for you to send off. That will definitely help with your uni application when it comes around!
Congrats!! I bet you're really proud (and so you should be).

Thanks so much for your input, I think I shall do the revised combo CW - History - English Lit. I think it does show a commitment to reading and writing.
lamentas
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want any details specifically on the AS spec or anything else, ask me!
What's it like? Theory and practice of writing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.04%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.14%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.5%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.33%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.7%

Watched Threads