Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What if you don't get the results?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know probably everyone on this forum is thinking the same thing but I'm really worried about not getting the ABB I need to get into uni to do psychology this year. What I'd like to know is if people who are already at uni got on to their course despite not meeting their conditional offer. I know of someone at Bristol who got into vet medicine with ABC because they really liked her personality/determination etc. How far below you're offer do you think uni's will go to still let you in? Help! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on supply and demand, generally I would say 2 grades max aslong as your personal statement is good. Then again I'm not talking from experience.

ReputationRep:
    I got in with ABB (missed one grade). However I had an excellent personal statement and reference.

Best bet is to get an insurance you're happy to go to and also if you dont get the grades, don't piss about and be really depressed like some people in my college were, think clearly and get on the phone to the uni asap.

ReputationRep:
    If you miss your offer you can still get a place, though the university has no obligation to lower its offer. If you think you're going to miss your offer; firstly you shouldn't really have it as your firm; and secondly, get a good insurence.

If you missed your offer by more than 2 grades (AAB - ACC) then you're in real trouble.

ReputationRep:
    The subjects in which you might miss the grades are very important. Universities are likely to be less lenient if you drop a grade in a subject relevant to the course you're going to study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    The subjects in which you might miss the grades are very important. Universities are likely to be less lenient if you drop a grade in a subject relevant to the course you're going to study.
    Thats true, I wouldnt feel too aggrieved if a university rejected me because Id missed a couple of grades though. One has to remember that many applicants are rejected despite already holding the required entry grades, so it would be deeply unfair for people to get places mostly on the basis of dodgy predictions.

ReputationRep:
    "many applicants are rejected despite already holding the required entry grades"

I thought if you got the required grades, after being given a conditional offer, the Uni HAD to give you the place.

(Original post by Drunk1000)
    "many applicants are rejected despite already holding the required entry grades"

I thought if you got the required grades, after being given a conditional offer, the Uni HAD to give you the place.
    They are just pointing out that having the required grades / predictions is not enough to guarantee an offer. If they make you an offer which accept and meet the terms of, they are legally contracted to take you!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk1000)

I meant people who had sat their A Levels prior to applying, ie, someone may apply with AAB and get rejected while another applicant may receive an offer with predictions of AAA but eventually only attain BBB or less.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.