Lighfy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I've been suffering from knee pain/ache in my right leg for a couple of months now. The pain seems to be localised on the left of my knee and I think it's the result of bad form whilst squatting. Although I stopped squatting to try and let it heal, it still hurts a little when I try to leg press. It used to ache when I was sat for prolonged periods of time as well, although this aching pain has gradually gone away.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything to try and relieve the pain/ache without causing further damage.

Thanks.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A knee support band that you can buy from the pound store.
DBR247
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lighfy)
Hi,

I've been suffering from knee pain/ache in my right leg for a couple of months now. The pain seems to be localised on the left of my knee and I think it's the result of bad form whilst squatting. Although I stopped squatting to try and let it heal, it still hurts a little when I try to leg press. It used to ache when I was sat for prolonged periods of time as well, although this aching pain has gradually gone away.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything to try and relieve the pain/ache without causing further damage.

Thanks.
I have also suffered knee pain and aches in the past. It is probably due to the cartilage around the knee being worn down constantly. You should stop squatting for the moment to prevent further damage to the cartilage and contact your GP.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

Thanks.
Post a video of your squat form, and stop leg pressing.

Earlier this year I also had some knee pain, localised to one knee only (the right one - I've also had a few other, albeit smaller, issues with this one too). Felt like it was occurring under the knee cap, on the upper portion. Hurt when my knee was flexed (bent) for long periods of time. I did some stretching and foam rolling/lacrosse ball work for a while and it went away. Not sure if it went away because of the later or whether it was going to go away anyway. I would get it checked out to rule out anything more serious like a meniscus or cartilage issue.
DBR247
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

Thanks.
Hi Lighfy,

This may better explain your condition.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/con-20025960

All the best,
Lighfy
Rep:
?
Thanks all, I'll contact my GP.
Lighfy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
Post a video of your squat form, and stop leg pressing.

Earlier this year I also had some knee pain, localised to one knee only (the right one - I've also had a few other, albeit smaller, issues with this one too). Felt like it was occurring under the knee cap, on the upper portion. Hurt when my knee was flexed (bent) for long periods of time. I did some stretching and foam rolling/lacrosse ball work for a while and it went away. Not sure if it went away because of the later or whether it was going to go away anyway. I would get it checked out to rule out anything more serious like a meniscus or cartilage issue.
Thanks for the advice. My knee doesn't bother me for the most part, I can have my leg bent for a prolonged period of time and it doesn't ache. It seems to only start whilst under resistance (when I'm training). Anyway I'll definitely try some stretching to see if it gets better.
Martinnathalie9
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It could be worth visiting your GP if the knee gets worse under resistance. It could also be down to you not dedicating enough time to a proper post workout recovery; best way with muscle and joint aches is a percussive deep massage, or alternatively you could invest in a sports massager to help with recovery of those problem areas such as your knee.

Two worth looking at:
https://massagetech.co.uk/product/mt-sport/
http://www.thumpermassager.com/massa...per-sport.html

Should give you a better idea of what to look out for anyway.
kennyize
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Thanks.
....GO AND SEE YOUR DOC!

I had something similar didnt think it was anything and continued....it got worse! so be careful and go and get it checked out ok?
Aristotle's' Disciple
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you lock out when leg pressing? That would be a big reason why your knee hurts, it transfers the force directly through your joint and it's obviously been weakened. Most likely you weren't squatting below parallel when squatting, that can place a lot of stress on the knees.

Look into dynamic stretching, with and without resistance bands. Work on your mobility. Buy some tiger balm and rub it onto and around the afflicted area.

You should be very careful in the future when doing squats or deadlifts, if you damage joints badly enough you really can't come back from it. Omar Isuf has some decent mobility videos, and BodyBuildingRev has some excellent workshops once you have the fundamentals down. Good luck.
hermosaa1444
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hiii,
Knee pain can be caused by a sudden injury, an overuse injury, or by an underlying condition, such as arthritis. Treatment will vary depending on the cause. Symptoms of knee injury can include pain, swelling, and stiffness.knee pain is a common complaint that affects people of all ages.Many types of minor knee pain respond well to self-care measures. Physical therapy and knee braces also can help relieve knee pain. In some cases, however, your knee may require surgical repair.
P_alice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think you should use a pain remover spray which will help you to heel faster
D.SHA64
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i have had knee pain for along time
i use a knee support/sleeve/brace when i play sports or when i work out.
i would recommend a cold compress to the knee for about 20 mins every day.
(cold compress is something like an ice pack or a bag of peas- make sure it wrapped in a towl or t shirt or some kind of cloth)
also make sure you thoroughly warm up and stretch properly before exercising
meanwhile go doctors just to make sure everythings ok with the knee
Lighfy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you all so much for the advice! I've been to see my GP and he suggested I get a knee sleeve for when I work out. I'm going to give my knee some time to re-cooperate before I start squatting or leg pressing again, and I've also been foam rolling to see if that helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (676)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.21%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads