The Student Room Group

Stephen Moffatt has ruined Doctor Who...

Whilst Matt Smith made a great Doctor, it started going down hill when Moffatt took over. The final straw for me was Amy and Rory's sudden departure. Capaldi is a joke. Clara has no substance. There's not hint of realism - it's all fantasy. In the Eccleston/Tennant era it was so much more down to earth and realistic. Now it's just cheap, and every season finale is predictable. Storylines are cheap, wibbly wobbly timey wimey events have become so common that they are no longer fascinating. Missy is a disaster - completely undermines the character of the Master and the dynamic between him/'her' and The Doctor. The show is riddled with left-wing motifs (it shouldn't be political!). It's just not the same. Stephen Moffatt has ruined Doctor Who.

/rant.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Agree/disagree?
Reply 2
I wouldn't say the series has been ruined - there have been moments and episodes I think that have been very well done. Some of the dialogue/one liners between the Dr and Clara have been good and Capaldi is doing great work with what he is given. But the writing quality has gone down - the episode before last felt like Moffat wanted to tell a Sherlock story in space and it didn't work as well as it could. I keep seeing great ideas which are just lost or that just don't go anywhere.
I'll come in to this by saying I have pretty much always disliked Dr Who, it's cheap, lazy, boring the acting is, from start to finish, dreadful, Tennant, Smith and now Capaldi bring no subtlety to their roles in what amounts to a glorious festival of scenery chewing.

It's even worse now though, at least it seems that way when I come down for a cuppa and it's inevitably sent my mum to sleep after 3 minutes.
After Tennant left it went to s**t.
Original post by mojojojo101
I'll come in to this by saying I have pretty much always disliked Dr Who, it's cheap, lazy, boring the acting is, from start to finish, dreadful, Tennant, Smith and now Capaldi bring no subtlety to their roles in what amounts to a glorious festival of scenery chewing.

It's even worse now though, at least it seems that way when I come down for a cuppa and it's inevitably sent my mum to sleep after 3 minutes.

lmao, you have to give your mum some credit. She's still trying to watch it whilst most people have dropped Who at least whilst Smith was doctor.
Original post by jambojim97
Whilst Matt Smith made a great Doctor, it started going down hill when Moffatt took over. The final straw for me was Amy and Rory's sudden departure. Capaldi is a joke. Clara has no substance. There's not hint of realism - it's all fantasy. In the Eccleston/Tennant era it was so much more down to earth and realistic. Now it's just cheap, and every season finale is predictable. Storylines are cheap, wibbly wobbly timey wimey events have become so common that they are no longer fascinating. Missy is a disaster - completely undermines the character of the Master and the dynamic between him/'her' and The Doctor. The show is riddled with left-wing motifs (it shouldn't be political!). It's just not the same. Stephen Moffatt has ruined Doctor Who.

/rant.

ABSOLUTELY ABSOLUTELY agree

Well said, my friend. Well said.
Original post by MrKmas508
After Tennant left it went to s**t.

Exactly
Original post by Aria Enoshima
lmao, you have to give your mum some credit. She's still trying to watch it whilst most people have dropped Who at least whilst Smith was doctor.

I think it's just that its on after Strictly and she can't be bothered to move the 2 feet to grab the TV remote, but hey, I don't think the BBC care, as long as someone is 'watching'...
I don't read too deeply into it, I think it's still pretty good. :angelblush:
agree, i can't understand any of the story arcs/ episodes and at first i thought it was me but given that it is aimed at a younger demographic it must just be that the episodes aren't coherant... :s-smilie:
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
Exactly

Have you heard about this, I think it sounds really good. http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/oct/26/david-tennant-doctor-who-audio-dramas-catherine-tate
I totally agree, I just straight up stopped watching after the episode with The Fisher King. It's been going downhill since Tennant left. It's not even the actors, Smith and Capaldi are great doctors. It's Moffatts writing that's terrible
Reply 13
I agree pretty much but I like Capaldi. Moffatt had great standalone episodes but he sucks at running the show. Didn't like Sherlock series 3 either. He's too self-aware and tries too hard to be funny while failing. People loved to hate on Russell T Davies but he kept things feeling coherent (well, Season 4 had ups and downs, didn't like the finale), and could write excellently at times as well (Series 2 finales and Midnight for instance)
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think how characters are dealt with have changed that much, remember that Martha and River were born of the Davis era and it was quite kiddy at times. Moffat's main failing is that series 6 and 7 were quite bland and in general he's not good across an entire series.

This series has been better (bar Missy) but the final episode was a letdown both being 2 stories rammed into 1 hour and saving Clara from what had actually been a perfectly done death. Remove the annoying bloke that got them there and it would have been a stellar episode.
Hmm idk...think there were actually a few really good episodes with Matt Smith, although I preferred Tennant as the Doctor a lot more. I also think Capaldi COULD be a really great Doctor, but yeah the plots are so rubbish, kinda draws away from his acting ability
I don't really agree. I have enjoyed the last few series and I thought that this most recent one was really very good. The penultimate episode was fantastic. I have always enjoyed Moffatt's writing and have enjoyed the fact that it generally is less childish than it was when it first came back. But that is probably strongly influenced by the fact that I was 18/19 when it came back.

ngl, this has made my day

thank you for posting this
Original post by jambojim97

/rant.

There aren't enough reps in the world for this.

I completely agree. The series is on its last legs and it's painful to watch; the only reason I still tape it is out of loyalty.

- The Weeping Angels, the Daleks, and the Cybermen are now completely ruined and overused.
- Clara's character is hollower than a chocolate Easter bunny and she's constantly shoved down my throat.
- Missy is total a disaster.
- The storylines are boring and difficult to follow. I fell asleep during the gunslinger episode and they've butchered so many Christmas specials.
- It's 90% talking and 10% action, if that.

I do enjoy Capaldi though. I think he's fantastic, both in action and in appearance, but the script has let him down dramatically.

I also liked the recent flashback to Pompei. I thought that was clever.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by We'reAllMadHere

I also liked the recent flashback to Pompei. I thought that was clever.

That was actually a Russell T Davies idea that he told Moffat, I think I read it in an interview a while back

Quick Reply

Latest