username1231268
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Earlier this year I chose my GCSE's, opting for music, thinking that it would be an enjoyable and slightly easier option given that I recently passed my grade 5 piano exam (albeit marginally). So we've just started and already i'm struggling a bit. As I've never actually done a theory exam my theory knowledge is pretty much non-existent. I feel like I've only made it this far because of my ability to hear and see patterns and then to imitate them.
The lack of knowledge is stopping me from progressing but there's so much to learn and I honestly have no idea where to begin! Any recommendations as to what I should do next?
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Start doing some work. There really isn't much content in music theory courses, you could probably learn grades 1-5 in about 50 hours.
fii_xox
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Start doing some work. There really isn't much content in music theory courses, you could probably learn grades 1-5 in about 50 hours.
whats the best way to learn it????
TheFarmerLad
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Natascha)
Earlier this year I chose my GCSE's, opting for music, thinking that it would be an enjoyable and slightly easier option given that I recently passed my grade 5 piano exam (albeit marginally). So we've just started and already i'm struggling a bit. As I've never actually done a theory exam my theory knowledge is pretty much non-existent. I feel like I've only made it this far because of my ability to hear and see patterns and then to imitate them.
The lack of knowledge is stopping me from progressing but there's so much to learn and I honestly have no idea where to begin! Any recommendations as to what I should do next?
Doing Grade 5 theory really helps when it comes to GCSE music (you don't have to sit the exam but learning the content is a big plus) I presume you do Edexcel? If so 60% of the final grade is practical, your piano playing will come in handy here and 40% is the theoretical/essay exam, this is where the Grade 5 theory comes in useful plus a good memory, though tbf I only memorised the facts of the instrumental setworks and still got an A* although scraped it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (101)
67.79%
No I haven't decided yet (28)
18.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
13.42%

Watched Threads