maggiehodgson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
In the two M3 questions in the attachment both say, in the solutions, that in the RHS "acceleration is in the direction of x decreasing".

In the first question the rocket is fired up and in the second the particle is falling down. How can x be decreasing in both cases?

I can imagine that the rockets is getting slower as x increases and the particle is getting faster as x decreases so I can believe that both would be -ve RHS but I just don't get the given explanations.

I do find mechanics a mystery so please explain in as simple a way as you possibly can.

Many thanks.
Attached files
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by maggiehodgson)
In the two M3 questions in the attachment both say, in the solutions, that in the RHS "acceleration is in the direction of x decreasing".

In the first question the rocket is fired up and in the second the particle is falling down. How can x be decreasing in both cases?

I can imagine that the rockets is getting slower as x increases and the particle is getting faster as x decreases so I can believe that both would be -ve RHS but I just don't get the given explanations.

I do find mechanics a mystery so please explain in as simple a way as you possibly can.

Many thanks.
In each case x increasing is upwards, and acceleration is due solely to gravity and is downwards, hence in the direction of x decreasing.

I have to say their solutions are not very well explained - not impressed.
maggiehodgson
Rep:
?
Yep. Makes sense now. Took a while to sort it out in my head, flipping between understanding and then questioning it all over again, but it's settled down now into getting it.

Thanks
atsruser
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by maggiehodgson)

Many thanks.
This may or may not help but ..

You need to bear in mind that in a 1D mechanics problem, you have 3 vectors to consider, namely displacement x, velocity v =\frac{dx}{dt} and acceleration a = \frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}.

Each of these vectors can point either up or down *independently* (in a vertical problem). Note that by Newton II, F=ma, then a always points in the direction of the force producing the acceleration. So in a problem with gravity, the acceleration will always point toward the Earth i.e. downwards.

However, the velocity vector may at one time point upwards (e.g. for a stone been thrown into the sky) or downwards (e.g. for a stone that's falling back to Earth). All of the time, though, the a vector points downwards.

Also the displacement vector can point up or down - up if the particle is a stone thrown into the air, down if it's a stone falling into a well (i.e. below the Earth's surface, where we usually put the origin)

And of course, you distinguish "up" vectors from "down" vectors in the algebra, by making "up" vectors +ve, and "down" vectors -ve, or vice versa.
maggiehodgson
Rep:
?
Thanks. That all makes sense to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.11%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
27.98%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (92)
37.86%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.35%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.7%

Watched Threads