Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have the choice of doing pure maths or maths - statistics for a-level but I cant decide which I want to do.

I feel I will get an A in maths but I have taken Maths Statistics as an extra GCSE which is 9 days from now. I don't know which to do? I'm looking to go into computing at uni so which would be better for me? I feel pure maths but im not sure :confused:

Some feedback please

ReputationRep:
    PURE MATHS!! i hate stats and decision, stick with the pure i say.

ReputationRep:
    I also did Stats GCSE as an extra and thought wehey I can do stats as part of my Maths A-Level. I was totally wrong though as I think I did well in my Pure paper but am going to fail stats in 5 days from now. Go for as much pure as possible, it should help for computing too. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    pure pure pure pure pure!! i did S1 and it was a pile of poo - really really boring. also did M1, M2, P1, P2 and P3 which were much more interesting

ReputationRep:
    do pure everyone finds that easier

ReputationRep:
    Thanks people, pure is fun well for me anyway :rolleyes:

Stats seems boring so I think i'll be doing pure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackzombies)
    do pure everyone finds that easier
    Don't know where you got that idea from. I find pure harder than statistics for one, as do most of my friends.

Anyway, you've only had answers based on personal opinion so far so I'll try to give a reasoned answer.

Pure will be more useful for computing at university. Even if you find it harder, it will put you in good stead for the degree and will be looked on more favourably by the universities.

(I'm applying for Computer Science too)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDoh)
    Don't know where you got that idea from. I find pure harder than statistics for one, as do most of my friends.

Anyway, you've only had answers based on personal opinion so far so I'll try to give a reasoned answer.

Pure will be more useful for computing at university. Even if you find it harder, it will put you in good stead for the degree and will be looked on more favourably by the universities.

(I'm applying for Computer Science too)
    I always found Pure easier than Stats (Stats made no sense to me). Discrete maths (or Decision) is most useful for Comp Sci though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    I always found Pure easier than Stats (Stats made no sense to me).
    Fair enough. I guess it depends on the person.

(Original post by Nylex)
    Discrete maths (or Decision) is most useful for Comp Sci though.
    Yes, decision/discrete is more useful but I expect his school doesn't offer it or he doesn't want to do it as he said he was trying to decide between stats and pure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siliviax)
    Hey, I have the choice of doing pure maths or maths - statistics for a-level but I cant decide which I want to do.

I feel I will get an A in maths but I have taken Maths Statistics as an extra GCSE which is 9 days from now. I don't know which to do? I'm looking to go into computing at uni so which would be better for me? I feel pure maths but im not sure :confused:

Some feedback please
    So your school is just offering PURE MATHS (P1-6) or just Statistics (S1-S6), and they are not offering Maths A level (P1-3) with 3 applied maths units? or it might be 4 units pure 2 units applied for this coming sept...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siliviax)

Some feedback please

Statistics is really BORING (doing S1 and S2 alone is dull!) so I suggest you do pure! Its great!

ReputationRep:
    Just to check something; the folks suggesting that pure is easier, are you actually doing P4,P5,P6??
    Anyone who claims that P4-P6 is easier than S1,S2 is simply wrong.
    The P1-P6 is a very nice course, do bear in mind however that the competitive pool for P4-P6 tends to be very strong, and many of the people doing P4_P6 will also be 6 other maths modules; They are surrounded by maths, grade boundaries can be pretty high.

ReputationRep:
    Do Mechanics.

That is what I am doing next year.

But to answer the question: I would go for Pure rather than Stats.

ReputationRep:
    P1 and P2 are quite easily but P3 is quite tricky.

I would advise you to do S2 rather than M2. Stats is more useful and I think more intersting. I have to admit S2 is probably hard than M2 though.

At my school we were fortunate enough to do M1, P1 and S1 for AS and then got to choose between either M2 or S2 and do P2 and P3 for A2.

If you like physics you'll prob enjoy mechanics.
    I hate physics!

ReputationRep:
    All university courses that state A Level Mathematics will not accept A Level statistics, or the ones i spoke to anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    I always found Pure easier than Stats (Stats made no sense to me). Discrete maths (or Decision) is most useful for Comp Sci though.
    Same here, I could never understand stats, and P6 was pretty easy (at least compared to P5 in my opinion).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    I always found Pure easier than Stats (Stats made no sense to me).
    I second that.

ReputationRep:
    stats is soo much easier.
    Its all about personal choice. The thing with stats is that it can be too vague siometimes, not specific questions like pure

ReputationRep:
    !!!PURE!!!

Stats is weird...i do it...but i prefer pure...pure is more maths like if u see wot i mean, if ure gd at maths definately go for pure...stats is more memorising formulas and methods, the pure methods actually make sense!!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 6, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.