The Student Room Group

Are these good A-levels?

I'm currently in year eleven and I'm starting to think about which A-levels I'd like to take in college next year. I'm not certain on what type of job I want when I'm older but I'm considering a magazine journalist or English teacher. I'm definite on going to university after college and was wondering which A-levels are 'well respected' and which ones you think would be the most beneficial for me. At the moment I'm thinking of:
English literature & language
Religious Studies
Government and Politics
Sociology
Reply 1
Original post by Mollypowell
I'm currently in year eleven and I'm starting to think about which A-levels I'd like to take in college next year. I'm not certain on what type of job I want when I'm older but I'm considering a magazine journalist or English teacher. I'm definite on going to university after college and was wondering which A-levels are 'well respected' and which ones you think would be the most beneficial for me. At the moment I'm thinking of:
English literature & language
Religious Studies
Government and Politics
Sociology

All of those are OK but not the most respected. The list of 'enabling subjects' which are the most generally respected ones is here: http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/
Reply 2
Although those are alright, I agree with the above poster that you should replace one of them (maybe Sociology or Politics) with History, as it is respected more than the two.

I would also be wary about choosing 4 English/essay based subjects, as it doesn't show you to have any variety in your skils. I understand that you want to be an English teacher and obviously have a keen interest in writing, but by having 4/4 A levels being similar you reduce the options available to you at university. If you have an interest in, say, Geography or Biology, it might pay to consider taking one of those instead of, e.g. Sociology.
Reply 3
The best way to choose your A Level subjects is to work backwards. What do you want to do in the future? -> What university course should I pursue? -> Which A Level subjects should I take? Now if you want to be an English teacher or a magazine journalist, both jobs require no specified degree and it then comes down to what you enjoy the most. For example, if you enjoy at least 2 of Philosophy, Politics and Economics, a PPE degree (which is popular for journalists) would be suitable.
For what subjects are respectable, the traditional or facilitating subjects are more widely respected but it depends on what university course too. But if you are still unsure about what degree you wish to pursue, my advice is to pick at least 2 or 3 facilitating subjects.
They are all mickey mouse apart from english.

Someone mentioned PPE, economics would help and most unis state the competitive applicants offer a essay subject and at least one science.

Maths IMO is the most useful a level. It helps with everything.

I decided to do PPE and never thought maths would help, but unis love it. For example York gave me an AAA offer instead of A*AA because i had maths. That makes the offer so much easier. For places like LSE they want an A* in maths so yeah.

If your unsure i would take:
English
Maths
Economics
(any science)

That would let you do anything apart from medicine.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think you should do English Lit separately and History.

Quick Reply

Latest