The Student Room Group

Differentiating trig by first principles

Scroll to see replies

Original post by davros
Because that's another standard A level result that is proved earlier in B&C :biggrin:

I haven't got time to find / scan the original but this is something even simpler that just relies on taking a sector of a circle with central angle x, drawing a chord and a tangent and working out lower and upper bounds for the sector area, then dividing through by sin x and considering what happens as x gets close to 0 (radians).

I have to say, both this and the sin x derivative proof are things that I thought all standard A level books still covered, but maybe this is no longer the case :frown:

I know the one, though I can't say I remember learning it at A-level the squeeze theorem (though intuitive) wasn't a result that was covered.
I might be mistaken, I remember the horrible geometric proof for sines of sums and the like, maybe it was mixed in with those.
Original post by joostan
I know the one, though I can't say I remember learning it at A-level the squeeze theorem (though intuitive) wasn't a result that was covered.
I might be mistaken, I remember the horrible geometric proof for sines of sums and the like, maybe it was mixed in with those.

I have to agree. The proofs on the A-Level books are horrible. But at least we have stackexchange and the like.
Reply 22
Original post by joostan

Trig is awkward because you start with the basic definition involving right angled triangles, then change the definition to the unit circle because otherwise you can't cope with angles above 90 degrees, then change things again at uni because you need an analytic definition to do anything 'useful' with the sine function! (Plus confusing the hell out of A level students with the switch from degrees to radians!)

But there's an awful lot that can be 'justified' at A level using just A level techniques, even if it doesn't comprise a fully rigorous proof - it just needs a teacher with the time, ability and willingness to go through these things :smile:
Original post by joostan

It certainly wasn't included in any of my textbooks.

Quick Reply

Latest