venture capitalist and Uni

Watch this thread
grandeur10
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I want to go in to the venture capitalist business, but there is no clear path this.
I wanted to know what uni degree would give me an advantage in this field, what unis would be good to and any work experience that i may need to do. finally is there any top firms/companies in the that i could look at because most are based in the USA.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
you cant go wrong with cambrij
username738914
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by grandeur10)
I want to go in to the venture capitalist business, but there is no clear path this.
I wanted to know what uni degree would give me an advantage in this field, what unis would be good to and any work experience that i may need to do. finally is there any top firms/companies in the that i could look at because most are based in the USA.
The path is usually a CompSci/Engineering/Maths degree, then found your own company, exit it and become rich, and finally land in a partner position.

Alternatively, you could start off in Tech Coverage/TMT in Investment Banking, then lateral over to VC as an associate. You most likely won't get a partnership track role this way though.

Really, the only way to break into a partnership track VC role is to be a successful entrepreneur yourself or rise to become an exec of a tech firm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
grandeur10
Rep:
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
you cant go wrong with cambrij
dont have the grades to get in
grandeur10
Rep:
(Original post by Princepieman)
The path is usually a CompSci/Engineering/Maths degree, then found your own company, exit it and become rich, and finally land in a partner position.

Alternatively, you could start off in Tech Coverage/TMT in Investment Banking, then lateral over to VC as an associate. You most likely won't get a partnership track role this way though.

Really, the only way to break into a partnership track VC role is to be a successful entrepreneur yourself or rise to become an exec of a tech firm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i was looking at information management at UCL its in the Engineering science faculty. i know IT and Management are not look at in a good light

But when you look in to the course structure it has things like Programming, Software Engineering and Semantic Web which are tec based.

Or i could do economics at Manchester. but also the up side to UCL is that its in london and thats where most VC companies are located for the UK
username738914
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
i was looking at information management at UCL its in the Engineering science faculty. i know IT and Management are not look at in a good light

But when you look in to the course structure it has things like Programming, Software Engineering and Semantic Web which are tec based.

Or i could do economics at Manchester. but also the up side to UCL is that its in london and thats where most VC companies are located for the UK
This is all irrelevant. Read my post again.

Pick a good STEM subject at the best uni possible, then work on breaking into a top tier tech firm, a top investment bank or starting your own tech startup out of uni.

A VC firm isn't going to hire a uni grad who knows bugger all about investing or technology. At best, you'll be cold calling random companies all day. As I said, to get a partnership role (where the real money and responsibility lies), you'll need to be a successful tech entrepreneur yourself.

Your course by itself is quite insignificant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
p.formanko
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Having just been to a venture capitalist event last week, I can say that there is no one route into venture capitalism.

Personally I'd say a degree which offers transferable skills (maths skills, data presentation, analytics, demographics) combined with a degree from a good university (a London one would be favourable given its where most start-ups are based) and a hint of entrepreneurship.

You can't just rock-up to a random event and want to invest in something and vice versa. 1) you need the contacts and 2) you need the disposable income to invest or set up a venture capitalist business. You can't just come out of university with at least £30k debt and hope that any money you invest will immediately bear fruit. Some businesses only have profits 5+ years down the line, and might go bust beforehand. My point is that you need some experience working in IB / finance / whatnot before you go into venture capitalism.
grandeur10
Rep:
This is all irrelevant. Read my post again.

Pick a good STEM subject at the best uni possible, then work on breaking into a top tier tech firm, a top investment bank or starting your own tech startup out of uni.

A VC firm isn't going to hire a uni grad who knows bugger all about investing or technology. At best, you'll be cold calling random companies all day. As I said, to get a partnership role (where the real money and responsibility lies), you'll need to be a successful tech entrepreneur yourself.

Your course by itself is quite insignificant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i see where your coming from

i was not going to use it as a hire me now card but as a way of meeting new people that are interested in entrepreneurship and maybe start a tech business so i can cover both entry points
grandeur10
Rep:
(Original post by p.formanko)
Having just been to a venture capitalist event last week, I can say that there is no one route into venture capitalism.

Personally I'd say a degree which offers transferable skills (maths skills, data presentation, analytics, demographics) combined with a degree from a good university (a London one would be favourable given its where most start-ups are based) and a hint of entrepreneurship.

You can't just rock-up to a random event and want to invest in something and vice versa. 1) you need the contacts and 2) you need the disposable income to invest or set up a venture capitalist business. You can't just come out of university with at least £30k debt and hope that any money you invest will immediately bear fruit. Some businesses only have profits 5+ years down the line, and might go bust beforehand. My point is that you need some experience working in IB / finance / whatnot before you go into venture capitalism.
thanks for the info what are you studying and what uni are you at ??
MHI
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Forex and other forms of trading are probably the only way you could go from 0 to venture capitualist but you'd have to be amazing at it, like seriously amazing
username738914
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MHI)
Forex and other forms of trading are probably the only way you could go from 0 to venture capitualist but you'd have to be amazing at it, like seriously amazing
Lol, why only forex? Surely that type of return is possible with other securities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
MHI
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Lol, why only forex? Surely that type of return is possible with other securities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is, i just enjoy forex as a concept more 😊
p.formanko
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
thanks for the info what are you studying and what uni are you at ??
I'm starting a geography BA at UCL in 2016 (on a gap year at the moment).
grandeur10
Rep:
(Original post by MHI)
i trade stocks instead. i would be able to pay off my uni debt straight out of uni at this rate but that's no where near where i want to be
MHI
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
i trade stocks instead. i would be able to pay off my uni debt straight out of uni at this rate but that's no where near where i want to be
don't pay off your uni debts, its a stupid debt to pay off considering you could out earn the interest on it. Expand your portfolio instead
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (32)
69.57%
No (10)
21.74%
I didn't use it to prepare (4)
8.7%

Watched Threads