Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can't revise unless I got some upbeat music going.. got some Old Skool club classics CD on at the moment.. and I'm jigging along as I'm typing - getting up so often to bounce around my room for a break.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    I can't revise unless I got some upbeat music going.. got some Old Skool club classics CD on at the moment.. and I'm jigging along as I'm typing - getting up so often to bounce around my room for a break.
    I need music to revise, just not upbeat music or I'll get up and start dancing to it.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    the brain reacts in different ways to different sonance. Some people like to sleep with music on while others cannot. It differs from person to person but there is nothing wrong with it. When I was doing my degree I listened to quite mellow music to study.

ReputationRep:
    I need music..otherwise the silence cases tedium..and i get bored very easily....

G

ReputationRep:
    I used to HAVE to have some background noise. These days I need silence because that's what the exam is going to be like. Otherwise I end up singing along and getting distracted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma Louise)
    Otherwise I end up singing along and getting distracted
    That might actually be useful!

Rememebr what you were singing to and link it to what you're revising.

Then rememebr the song in the exam - and you've got your answers!

ReputationRep:
    Music good, television bad.

What I listen to depends on mood - I might have a bit of Mozart one day, and Motorhead the next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaman)
    That might actually be useful!

Rememebr what you were singing to and link it to what you're revising.

Then rememebr the song in the exam - and you've got your answers!
    omg! i do that too!!!! :eek: how strange...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    omg! i do that too!!!! :eek: how strange...
    and according to psychology it should work
    does it work for you?

ReputationRep:
    I used to try and link music to information, but i end up getting distracted, even with stuff like Strauss on. But with Manowar, AC/DC etc i cant actually concentrate. Sounds like its back to the silence.

ReputationRep:
    I personally love to study with a disk man stuck in my head! but my dad wont let it be, WHY ME ?!!?!?!?!?! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    who can say what is normal,
    when normallacy is different 2 each of us,
    2 see sumthink as normal is personal preception,
    and who can b the judge of that.

ReputationRep:
    sometimes i make up my own little song to memorize dates or any boring facts..

ReputationRep:
    Music is good for me when I'm doing math. It keeps my mind from wandering. I can't listen to it when I'm doing something like writing a paper though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiniBarSmarties)
    does it work for you?
    most of the time yeah.....but not when i listen to the same cd over and over again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArisGreenleaf)
    Music is good for me when I'm doing math. It keeps my mind from wandering. I can't listen to it when I'm doing something like writing a paper though.
    it's the other way round for me! i must listen to music when im doing anything apart from maths. somehow music distracts me from doing maths...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiniBarSmarties)
    But according to psychology it's easier to access information if you can recreate the atmosphere you learnt it in. Hence why learning at school, in rows, at desks is meant to be better than learning, for example, on a computer or outside (unless they change the way we take exams of course). Learning to music may stop you getting distracted, but it may not be that beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    You think that you are werid if you do that??

I've done more werid stuff than that.

ReputationRep:
    i cant work with any music, i have to have total silence, im easily distracted i guess

ReputationRep:
    it got so bad once, i actually went and sat in the attic to do my work, it was rather cold tho

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.