The Student Room Group

Doing GCSEs and A-Levels again?

If you could go back and re-pick your GCSEs and/or Alevels what, if anything, would you change?

For me personally I would have definitely done triple award science rather than double award for GCSE, and for A-level I would have picked chemistry rather than economics.
Reply 1
I'd have stayed in school, done 10 GCSEs (inc. triple science and some humanities), and then go on to do Biology, Chemistry, and a humanities at A level.

I don't dislike what I'm doing now but I feel this pathway would have given me a lot more options, and helped me achieve my full academic potential.
GCSE: I would stick with Business Studies instead of switching to Engineering after the first week and eventually getting a C in it, a shameful stain on my academic record.

A Level: I would take at least one humanity. So I might have gone for chemistry, biology, mathematics and history. I'm doing history as a private candidate in my gap year anyway so I like to think I've remedied the bad decision somewhat. :smile:
Personally I wish i hadn't taken GCSE art, worst choice I ever made, AND I failed it:biggrin:
Original post by DylanJ42
If you could go back and re-pick your GCSEs and/or Alevels what, if anything, would you change?

For me personally I would have definitely done triple award science rather than double award for GCSE, and for A-level I would have picked chemistry rather than economics.

Whats the difference between double and triple im doing double. I had the choice to do triple but i said no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ten academic years later and I still have bad dreams about A level Drama. So yeah, I wish when I noticed the bullying in the group on sixth form induction day I'd said "sod this" and gone to college entirely or at least not have done A level Drama.
Original post by heyitscraziix
Whats the difference between double and triple im doing double. I had the choice to do triple but i said no.

You get three separate GCSEs in each of the sciences in triple science, whereas with double you get a core science GCSE and one in additional science (I think -- I did triple so I'm not sure of the latter).
Reply 7
Original post by Hydeman
You get three separate GCSEs in each of the sciences in triple science, whereas with double you get a core science GCSE and one in additional science (I think -- I did triple so I'm not sure of the latter).

This is true. Also, core science is 3 units: Biology 1, Chemistry 1, Physics 1. Additional is Bio 2, Chem 2, Phys 2. Separate sciences you do B1-3, C1-3, P1-3.
Wish I didn't choose Electronics A-Level, it's so boring omfg. Practicals can be fun I guess but still hate it, OCR textbook is actually useless too could go on...
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

Double is when you do all three sciences but only get 2 gcses for it, so imagine that each science is worth 2/3 of a gcse

Triple award is when you do three sciences and get 3 grades, 1 grade per science
Original post by DylanJ42
Double is when you do all three sciences but only get 2 gcses for it, so imagine that each science is worth 2/3 of a gcse

Triple award is when you do three sciences and get 3 grades, 1 grade per science

Ohhh. But triple do exams end of yr 11 whereas we do 3 end of 10 and 3 end of 11.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Ohhh. But triple do exams end of yr 11 whereas we do 3 end of 10 and 3 end of 11.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably your GCSE modules, you still do individual tests for each science. The difference is that you only get 2 grades
Wish I did double science instead of triple. I probably would have gotten AA instead of BBB, and although the grades I got weren't bad, it was stressful and demotivating to revise for an additional unit everyone else didn't have to do, especially when I didn't continue science for A Level. Unnecessary extra work for nothing except an extra GCSE, but at a grade lower than what I was capable of.

I really really really wish I didn't take A Level History :frown:. It's really horrible and I can't wait to drop it.

Quick Reply

Latest