Want more information about this university?

Opinions on University of Lincoln?

Watch
genericname12365
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm going to University of Lincoln next year to study Computer Science and I'm just curious if anyone has any good (or bad) opinions to share on here.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JQLeitch)
I'm going to University of Lincoln next year to study Computer Science and I'm just curious if anyone has any good (or bad) opinions to share on here.
My only experience with the computer science department was being a student rep on a hiring panel for a new lecturer in computer science. I met the head of school and few of the staff. All were really nice and, in the hiring process at least, genuinely cared about their students. The head of school even took the time a week before the interview to talk to me about the candidates so that's a bonus since it means he's probably a pretty approachable guy to the students in his department.

The University as a whole served me very well for three years. I studied law. Experiences are mostly based on your department since those are the academic and support staff you'll have 95% of your interactions with. For my part at least the law school were fantastic. I still talk to them post-graduation and they're helping with my PhD applications.

All the university services and the SU are pretty helpful and easy to access. Everything is essentially a drop-in with your problem system and things get sorted very quickly.
genericname12365
Rep:
?
(Original post by alexgilder)
My only experience with the computer science department was being a student rep on a hiring panel for a new lecturer in computer science. I met the head of school and few of the staff. All were really nice and, in the hiring process at least, genuinely cared about their students. The head of school even took the time a week before the interview to talk to me about the candidates so that's a bonus since it means he's probably a pretty approachable guy to the students in his department.

The University as a whole served me very well for three years. I studied law. Experiences are mostly based on your department since those are the academic and support staff you'll have 95% of your interactions with. For my part at least the law school were fantastic. I still talk to them post-graduation and they're helping with my PhD applications.

All the university services and the SU are pretty helpful and easy to access. Everything is essentially a drop-in with your problem system and things get sorted very quickly.
Thanks for answering. In general how are the students at Lincoln? Are they mature or are there a lot of piss takers?
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for answering. In general how are the students at Lincoln? Are they mature or are there a lot of piss takers?
That really isn't something that can be answered. Every university will have its high achievers and its dossers. We used to have a cheese and wine society which probably qualifies as a mature activity! Obviously there is the immature lad culture that you'll find everywhere with the rugby and football teams etc.

It is all based on the friends you make when you arrive.
genericname12365
Rep:
?
That really isn't something that can be answered. Every university will have its high achievers and its dossers. We used to have a cheese and wine society which probably qualifies as a mature activity! Obviously there is the immature lad culture that you'll find everywhere with the rugby and football teams etc.

It is all based on the friends you make when you arrive.
True, stupid question :P

How was your Law degree? Was it difficult? What were your typical contact hours p/ week?
thinkFlooD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've firmed my offer for CompSci as well! I've visited the uni several times and it looks awesome. The accommodation looks great as well.
genericname12365
Rep:
?
(Original post by thinkFlooD)
I've firmed my offer for CompSci as well! I've visited the uni several times and it looks awesome. The accommodation looks great as well.
Nice man, you going to the applicant day? I can't because I live 400 miles away... (Northern Ireland)
thinkFlooD
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nice man, you going to the applicant day? I can't because I live 400 miles away... (Northern Ireland)
I am indeed. I live about 40 minutes away (Nottingham) so its only up the road really.

There is a UoL CompSci Applicants facebook group if you want to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1706...9500/?refid=52
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
True, stupid question :P

How was your Law degree? Was it difficult? What were your typical contact hours p/ week?
It was good. I loved my time there. I usually had 8 hours a week contact time but that's because most of law you have to go away and read yourself. I felt it was a nice place to be too compared to larger and more impersonal universities. Lincoln made an effort basically.

& applicant days are really good compared to other universities! Mine 4 years ago had a mock lecture and seminar to let me know what it was going to be like. In later years I taught the seminars which was fun.
equinox123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What's the biomedical sciences course like? Any opinions?
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by equinox123)
What's the biomedical sciences course like? Any opinions?
Two of my friends did biomed. From what they've told me before I think their course was decent with interesting labs and they had quite a lot of contact hours. I remember being worried whenever I got any of the brayford's nasty water up my nose when kayaking because one of those friends had tested the water in first year for bacteria and there were some nasty things in there. One had an issue with not being able to really choose their own dissertation topic and having a subject forced on them. This is obviously second hand experience so don't take it as gospel.
equinox123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Two of my friends did biomed. From what they've told me before I think their course was decent with interesting labs and they had quite a lot of contact hours. I remember being worried whenever I got any of the brayford's nasty water up my nose when kayaking because one of those friends had tested the water in first year for bacteria and there were some nasty things in there. One had an issue with not being able to really choose their own dissertation topic and having a subject forced on them. This is obviously second hand experience so don't take it as gospel.
Thanks for telling me how many contact hours do they have?
Talisia13
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm currently in my second year of Biomed at Lincoln Uni. It's a great uni, constantly improving facilities and building new buildings for different courses. Couldn't recommend it enough!
Abdo.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by genericname12365)
After 4 years here I reply... I received an offer from the University of Lincoln and I am confused whether I should go or not? Any ideas? did u make it there or you went to a different uni? congrats on ur graduation btw
genericname12365
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Abdo.)
After 4 years here I reply... I received an offer from the University of Lincoln and I am confused whether I should go or not? Any ideas? did u make it there or you went to a different uni? congrats on ur graduation btw
Graduated last year with a 2.1, now working full time in industry. Would I recommend Lincoln? Yes and no, decent uni with some very good staff. Lincoln itself is great if you're from a small town like myself but I would find it boring if I was from a city. I just feel if you can, try to get to a red brick uni like Leicester instead, nothing wrong with Lincoln but if I was to choose again I'd work harder and go with a redbrick uni with better reputation and more industry links. Lincoln is a rising uni however and I noticed improvements year after year, but Lincoln has very little industry links for most courses and the lectures were sometimes a little barebones (requiring a lot of self directed studying to know what was going on).

I have very fond memories of my time there as well as very low memories with flatmate drama and assignment stress. You really can't go wrong with Lincoln, in that you will get the uni experience, seemed most people really loved the place and miss it dearly, but if you can push yourself to "better" unis, I would. At the end of the day it's for bettering yourself and for your CV, the more established the uni academically, the more value you get imo. Lincoln gave me an unconditional offer, while my decision to take it has seemed to work out in the end (no bother finding graduate work), I thought giving me an unconditional was predatory and targeted a level students to take it because it's essentially a free ride to uni no matter the grades you get. I still sometimes think how my uni life would have differed if I firmed my conditional offers like Leicester.

As far as I know now, Lincoln don't give out unconditional offers anymore.
Last edited by genericname12365; 7 months ago
Abdo.
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Graduated last year with a 2.1, now working full time in industry. Would I recommend Lincoln? Yes and no, decent uni with some very good staff. Lincoln itself is great if you're from a small town like myself but I would find it boring if I was from a city. I just feel if you can, try to get to a red brick uni like Leicester instead, nothing wrong with Lincoln but if I was to choose again I'd work harder and go with a redbrick uni with better reputation and more industry links. Lincoln is a rising uni however and I noticed improvements year after year, but Lincoln has very little industry links for most courses and the lectures were sometimes a little barebones (requiring a lot of self directed studying to know what was going on).

I have very fond memories of my time there as well as very low memories with flatmate drama and assignment stress. You really can't go wrong with Lincoln, in that you will get the uni experience, seemed most people really loved the place and miss it dearly, but if you can push yourself to "better" unis, I would. At the end of the day it's for bettering yourself and for your CV, the more established the uni academically, the more value you get imo. Lincoln gave me an unconditional offer, while my decision to take it has seemed to work out in the end (no bother finding graduate work), I thought giving me an unconditional was predatory and targeted a level students to take it because it's essentially a free ride to uni no matter the grades you get. I still sometimes think how my uni life would have differed if I firmed my conditional offers like Leicester.

As far as I know now, Lincoln don't give out unconditional offers anymore.
Thanks for your reply! I have conditional offer from the University of Lincoln. they actually lured me with their ranking and reviews, however, a friend of mine is so against me going to this University "it's the worst uni! " he said, So I thought to myself he's right and he knows better than me as I am foreign here. But yea the way you described it, it seems like a good uni apart of the industry links you mentioned that might be because it's still considered as new uni maybe. What do you think of life in Lincoln is it expensive in terms of accommodation and rent? Is it safe and you know what your thoughts on the city itself
genericname12365
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Abdo.)
Thanks for your reply! I have conditional offer from the University of Lincoln. they actually lured me with their ranking and reviews, however, a friend of mine is so against me going to this University "it's the worst uni! " he said, So I thought to myself he's right and he knows better than me as I am foreign here. But yea the way you described it, it seems like a good uni apart of the industry links you mentioned that might be because it's still considered as new uni maybe. What do you think of life in Lincoln is it expensive in terms of accommodation and rent? Is it safe and you know what your thoughts on the city itself
That's the thing, there's always the people who think Lincoln is bad because it used to be very low in the rankings and shows like The Inbetweeners took the mick out of it. And that is a genuine worry, because what if employers think that? Anyways I digress, the uni is certainly not the worst in England far far from it. It's a mid table uni now, simple as.

Lincoln is quite safe for an English city. I lived on Portland Street in 2nd year which can be quite rough, but had no problems, monk's road is supposedly dodgy too and some students do get burgled, but that's typical of student cities. Just keep doors locked and secured. Most of the locals are very friendly, and the city itself is beautiful up in the cathedral Quarter and on the brayford. Rent was very expensive in halls or off campus halls, student houses are cheaper but still can be pricey. I paid 110 per week for an ensuite in brayford quay halls, think it's increased to 114 which was very expensive as term ended in August also. I would recommend the on campus halls as they're typically cheaper. Student house inc bills was like 88 per week, so definitely get a house in 2nd year!

Never once went out to night clubs at uni lol but supposedly they are quite good, very typical student events with cheap drinks etc. Lincoln has loads of great pubs if that's your thing also.
Last edited by genericname12365; 7 months ago
Abdo.
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
That's the thing, there's always the people who think Lincoln is bad because it used to be very low in the rankings and shows like The Inbetweeners took the mick out of it. And that is a genuine worry, because what if employers think that? Anyways I digress, the uni is certainly not the worst in England far far from it. It's a mid table uni now, simple as.

Lincoln is quite safe for an English city. I lived on Portland Street in 2nd year which can be quite rough, but had no problems, monk's road is supposedly dodgy too and some students do get burgled, but that's typical of student cities. Just keep doors locked and secured. Most of the locals are very friendly, and the city itself is beautiful up in the cathedral Quarter and on the brayford. Rent was very expensive in halls or off campus halls, student houses are cheaper but still can be pricey. I paid 110 per week for an ensuite in brayford quay halls, think it's increased to 114 which was very expensive as term ended in August also. I would recommend the on campus halls as they're typically cheaper. Student house inc bills was like 88 per week, so definitely get a house in 2nd year!

Never once went out to night clubs at uni lol but supposedly they are quite good, very typical student events with cheap drinks etc. Lincoln has loads of great pubs if that's your thing also.
Thanks a lot for your info that helped a lot!
UniOfLincolnStudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi Abdo.

I am a student rep for the University of Lincoln, I have been here for 4 years and have loved every second of it. Though some things said above are true, Lincoln is rising every year through the rankings, currently at 17th place. We hold a TEF Gold teaching standard and we are taking on big projects such as the medical school so we are expanding every year! Please see a video of what Lincoln has to offer here!
I strongly recommend that if you can, visit an open day or applicant day depending on what year you are applying to to see for yourself what you think! If you cannot attend these then you can come on an informal visit or view a virtual tour online, here is a useful page with many videos or campus and the city.

When I was applying to universities, people said the same to me about Lincoln not being a good uni and that it will look better if I go somewhere else. But, I would not change a single thing about Lincoln, I have done so much I don't think I would have done at other universities so listen to yourself and your gut and not the opinions of others .

Best wishes,
Lexy
4th year student rep and Microbiology MSc student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.22%
I'm not sure (34)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.94%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.04%

Watched Threads