Do I have to work non-contracted hours over Xmas? Watch

flowerleaf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm contracted 10 hours over a Friday and Saturday as I'm normally at school but my workplace (not going to name but it's a major supermarket) know I'm obviously not at school in the week leading up to Christmas so have me down for around 50 hours from Fri 18th-Thurs 24th Dec, with not a single day off. I am in my A2 level year at school so kept saying I couldn't do that much as I have coursework and need time to do that but they just seemed to act like I didn't have much of a choice. Some days they had me working until midnight and then at 6am the next day; it took nearly half an hour of persuading just to change the times of those shifts and after that I had no fight left in me. I'm going to fall soooo behind in school, do I have to do all these hours?
flowerleaf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
bump...
Mitul106
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Technically no you do not but brcause of the busy period they will need more staff. Technically by keeping you till midnight then calling you in at 6am the next day is against the law as you are required a full 12 hours between shifts.

You dont have to do them but im assuming a conversation concerning your availability came up and you may have said yes. Obviously just as you dont have to work if you dint they dint have to give you shifts.
CAElite
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No you dont. In fact several of the things you mentioned contravene the EU Working Time Directive. Your best course of action is to politely decline the hours. Not only is compulsory overtime illegal in the UK (unless the work contract specificly states otherwise and even then only up to 48hours per week). I believe from what you said your employer is also breaching Article 3 & 5 of the Working Time Directive. Potentially more but its hard to tell without seeing your exact rota.

Dont let companies walk over you. Especially not for minimum wage (or close to it).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Time_Directive
tylerdaniel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They can't force you. Just say "I'm sorry but I absolutely cannot do this many hours and I have to reduce them." Don't pose it as a question. Explain that work is very important and you are happy to do some overtime but you cannot do too much or you'll fail your A-Levels. Let them know this ASAP and they'll be more likely to give you fair hours.
Jackieox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It depends
did you get the job as a christmas temp or did you have it beforehand
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads