There's still one group it's perfectly acceptable to discriminate against: atheists

Watch
skeptical_john
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinio...cle4626072.ece

I realise it's paywalled but you only have to read the opening salvo to get the idea. replace the word atheist with Jew/Muslim and ask why is it acceptable to say this about atheists?

Never mind the fact the articles inaccuracy is beyond redemption. The word atheists did not even crop in the court case once!

This is also more often seen in the US where people trust rapists over an atheist!
BefuddledPenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is there anything more boring than being correct about something? Anything more boring than seeking to deviate from millennia of murder and mayhem and division of people via arbitrary supernatural beliefs?

This is about allowing humanist discussion in R.E. lessons. This is essential, how can you truly have a rounded religious education if you are not even taught about the alternatives to religion. All arguments against this have been utterly farcical.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lol at the boringness.

I'm sorry but we aren't all atheists because we like being atheists. You may as well ask me to believe in unicorns. I wish dragons did exist. But they don't.

We are not being discriminated against just because someone wrote an article... Teaching humanism as part of RE is a really good idea though :yes:
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
whatever next... do they want to teach Our Children spoonbending ?
skeptical_john
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
lol at the boringness.

We are not being discriminated against just because someone wrote an article... Teaching humanism as part of RE is a really good idea though :yes:
It is indeed and even the Archbishop Justin Welby was on the side of plurism in RE.

But there is discrimination in many more not just the writings. For instance, non-religous school children are last in the pecking order at faith schools (a catholic school will pick catholics/anglicans/jews...literally in that order)

In England there is no humanist weddings allowed though they have now been made law in Scotland.

The list really does go on.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by skeptical_john)
It is indeed and even the Archbishop Justin Welby was on the side of plurism in RE.

But there is discrimination in many more not just the writings. For instance, non-religous school children are last in the pecking order at faith schools (a catholic school will pick catholics/anglicans/jews...literally in that order)

In England there is no humanist weddings allowed though they have now been made law in Scotland.

The list really does go on.
Ye well, I'd make all schools secular :fuhrer:
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
whatever next... do they want to teach Our Children spoonbending ?
Spoon bending is based off some Hindu type religion/philosophy I believe. As is The Matrix film in general I believe.

It's no more silly than believing Jesus was the son of God and was resurrected and all that.
skeptical_john
Rep:
?
Spoon bending is based off some Hindu type religion/philosophy I believe. As is The Matrix film in general I believe.

It's no more silly than believing Jesus was the son of God and was resurrected and all that.
Far less bonkers when compared to say Roman Catholicism

"The Catholic Church teaches that once consecrated in the Eucharist, the elements cease to be bread and wine and actually become the body and blood of Christ"

So you're basically sticking christ in your mouth!
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well it is Giles Coren. His intellectual soulmate is Katie Hopkins.
sw651
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

ChaoticButterfly killing the joy in TSR arguments since 2013 :P
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sw651)
Noooooo, I'm not saying it's not interesting, I'm just saying you shut down their point very fast!

And I agree.

Loads of our pop culture is based on other religions and life philosophies. It leaks into everything. Star Wars is another example. The idea of The Force is very none Christian. It's almost Buddhist like. It's funny because all the hardliner atheist nerds that gawp over Star Wars are massive fans of something based so heavily on religion :teehee:
sw651
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How is that not interesting :-/

Stupid close minded Christians annoy me.
Noooooo, I'm not saying it's not interesting, I'm just saying you shut down their point very fast!

And I agree.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by skeptical_john)
Far less bonkers when compared to say Roman Catholicism

"The Catholic Church teaches that once consecrated in the Eucharist, the elements cease to be bread and wine and actually become the body and blood of Christ"

So you're basically sticking christ in your mouth!
Thing number two that pisses me off with a lot of Christians. They laugh at the 'pagans', the 'spoon bender' whilst believing in all kinds of bat**** crazy. Unless we are talking coffee morning Christians. In which case I can be a coffee morning Jedi Knight.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (15)
25.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
62.07%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads