CLG1996
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I am doing an intensive year in Alevel Sociology and have never done sociology in the past. So far I am enjoying it, however, because I am not doing a two year course where I can find my feet and receive predicted grades from AS year, I do not really know where to begin, what the whole course involves in terms of exams and how to get the best grade.

I have a few questions:
-Are there options in all of the units? I know in unit 2 you can choose between education and health and in unit 4, crime and deviance and stratification and social class, but can you choose for the others?
-Also, is it best to learn everything, or is it best to choose from the options now and only learn that particular section?

I am at home teaching myself which is super hard and would be grateful for any advice or help!

Thankyou!
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
emiloujess
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CLG1996)
Hi, I am doing an intensive year in Alevel Sociology and have never done sociology in the past. So far I am enjoying it, however, because I am not doing a two year course where I can find my feet and receive predicted grades from AS year, I do not really know where to begin, what the whole course involves in terms of exams and how to get the best grade.

I have a few questions:
-Are there options in all of the units? I know in unit 2 you can choose between education and health and in unit 4, crime and deviance and stratification and social class, but can you choose for the others?
-Also, is it best to learn everything, or is it best to choose from the options now and only learn that particular section?

I am at home teaching myself which is super hard and would be grateful for any advice or help!

Thankyou!
Do not try and learn all of the sections, focus on one section from each exam. I'm on the third section (in my A2 year) and found it hard enough to learn one section from each exam last year. Trying to learn them all would be disastrous IMO. Also, I'd recommend education, it was really interesting

As for where you can choose sections, I'd look on the AQA website. We had options for every exam but I'm not sure that's changed. The hardest parts of Sociology for me are learning all of the names and getting the essay structure right.

Best of luck
Asolare
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
Which spec are you doing (the new one or old?) as the AS should be the new spec but the "A2" will still be the old spec which is..gonna make things confusing?? Okay assuming you're doing old spec:

If it's the old spec for as you choose;

AS
paper 1: choose 1: culture & identity, families & households, poverty & welfare
paper 2; choose 1: education & research methods, health & research methods

A2
paper 3; choose 1; beliefs in society, mass media, global development, power & politics
paper 4; choose 1: crime & deviance with theory and methods, differentiation and stratification with theory and methods.

Do NOT try to learn all topics, please just learn the ones you intend to do for exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (165)
25%
Better than expected (133)
20.15%
Worse than expected (362)
54.85%

Watched Threads