Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hoping someone who knows the AQA A Psychology syllabus might be able to explain this one better for me?

In the Unit 4 exam, you have to answer questions from two sections. I just found that the specification states:
    "Each section will contain three essay questions, one on each sub-section of the subject content".
    Further on in the syllabus, each topic area is indeed divided into three sub-sections. For example, one area I'm doing is Social Psychology - and that included Social Cognition, Relationships and Pro and Anti-Social Behaviour.

Does this mean I could get away with revising, say, just the first two really well and ignoring the last section? I don't have my past papers to look at at the moment so can't check if there really is one question for each of these areas. Can anyone else tell me?

Sorry if I'm being dense and everyone else realised this a long time ago

Edit: I can contribute more past paper questions to the other thread later tonight for anyone who still wants them

ReputationRep:
    Social Psychology, for example...

3 questions - one on Social Cognition, one on Anti & Pro-Social Behaviour, one on Relationships!

1) Anything on Social Cognition
    2) Anything on Anti & Pro-Social Behaviour
    3) Anything on Relationships

Answer a maximum of TWO QUESTIONS!!

ReputationRep:
    So I am reading it right then Fantastic. Sorry to have to ask, it just takes a bit of pressure off my revision and when things seem too good to be true I generally don't believe them! Thanks James.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    So I am reading it right then Fantastic. Sorry to have to ask, it just takes a bit of pressure off my revision and when things seem too good to be true I generally don't believe them! Thanks James.
    Yep, I was absolutely ecstatic to discover this too. Ended up ditching 3 out of 6 subsections that I originally learnt - made things about 200 times easier.

Good luck for friday. I am terrified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternalsunshine)
    Yep, I was absolutely ecstatic to discover this too. Ended up ditching 3 out of 6 subsections that I originally learnt - made things about 200 times easier.

Good luck for friday. I am terrified.
    Me too! I was literally just planning an all-nighter tonight when I found that in the syllabus. Definitely makes revision more managable. I'm going to learn 3 in detail, and I'd like to have a workable knowledge of a 4th in case of a horrendous question - but we'll see if that actually happens

Good luck to you too, I hope it goes well. I'm also terrified If I remember rightly you're also studying this through the NEC course aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    Me too! I was literally just planning an all-nighter tonight when I found that in the syllabus. Definitely makes revision more managable. I'm going to learn 3 in detail, and I'd like to have a workable knowledge of a 4th in case of a horrendous question - but we'll see if that actually happens

Good luck to you too, I hope it goes well. I'm also terrified If I remember rightly you're also studying this through the NEC course aren't you?
    Yep.. But I seemed to abandon my folder after my AS in January.. it got big & annoying and I felt all it did was tell me what the textbook told me & then told me to go and read it in the textbook! Hehe.

Argh.. It's stressful. What did you get for your AS? & What are you aiming for?

ReputationRep:
    Yep.. But I seemed to abandon my folder after my AS in January.. it got big & annoying and I felt all it did was tell me what the textbook told me & then told me to go and read it in the textbook! Hehe.

Argh.. It's stressful. What did you get for your AS? & What are you aiming for?
    Hehe, that's so true! I do find it useful sometimes though because it explains things in a more basic way, and that can help you grasp something complicated before learning the details from the textbook.

I got an A in my AS - full marks in one paper and marks in the 80s for an other. Also got an A in my coursework. Am aiming for an A overall if possible but B should be okay for uni as long as my History exams go well. How about you, what did you get for AS and what are you aiming for now?

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, that's so true! I do find it useful sometimes though because it explains things in a more basic way, and that can help you grasp something complicated before learning the details from the textbook.

I got an A in my AS - full marks in one paper and marks in the 80s for an other. Also got an A in my coursework. Am aiming for an A overall if possible but B should be okay for uni as long as my History exams go well. How about you, what did you get for AS and what are you aiming for now?
    I got an A too, which was shocking for one term of self-teaching!! It was only just an A, I got full marks in the physiological psychology paper and about 70 for each of the other ones. I got an A for my coursework though I'm not sure how many points it was - and I am aiming for a B overall. An A would be a massive achievement but considering I haven't really started revising for PYA5 (and have exams on tuesday, and thursday next week, either side of it..) I don't think it's going to happen.

Just for the amount of time that I've spent on unit 4 though, I really want to get an A for this paper!!

ReputationRep:
    I got an A too, which was shocking for one term of self-teaching!! It was only just an A, I got full marks in the physiological psychology paper and about 70 for each of the other ones. I got an A for my coursework though I'm not sure how many points it was - and I am aiming for a B overall. An A would be a massive achievement but considering I haven't really started revising for PYA5 (and have exams on tuesday, and thursday next week, either side of it..) I don't think it's going to happen.

Just for the amount of time that I've spent on unit 4 though, I really want to get an A for this paper!!
    I'm sure you will, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you I'm self-taught for all of my A-levels so I know what an achievement it is to get good grades and it sounds like you did brilliantly on your AS! I also totally sympathise about PYA5 - I've barely looked at it either and I also have other exams on Monday, Thursday and Friday next week It's so hard fitting everything in! Tons of luck for Friday though x

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you will, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you I'm self-taught for all of my A-levels so I know what an achievement it is to get good grades and it sounds like you did brilliantly on your AS! I also totally sympathise about PYA5 - I've barely looked at it either and I also have other exams on Monday, Thursday and Friday next week It's so hard fitting everything in! Tons of luck for Friday though x
    Next week seems like hell for A2 exams. Every board has crammed them all in. I have five exams from Mon-Wed, finishing with PYA5 - what a nice way to end my A-Levels. I'm dreading it. I did well in Modules 1-4 and 6, so I don't really need to do too well. I'm hoping I'll get my marks on the individual differences part, then I can ******* the other two sections (Approaches - arrghh!)

ReputationRep:
    You too What other a levels are you doing? What made you choose to do them self-taught?

In response to your q on the other PYA thread ~ I have chosen to concentrate on 3 areas, I'm not going to have any choice in the exam but I think it's much easier to do it this way (and it's the way psychology students that I know from my other subject groups are learning..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thom18)
    Next week seems like hell for A2 exams. Every board has crammed them all in. I have five exams from Mon-Wed, finishing with PYA5 - what a nice way to end my A-Levels. I'm dreading it. I did well in Modules 1-4 and 6, so I don't really need to do too well. I'm hoping I'll get my marks on the individual differences part, then I can ******* the other two sections (Approaches - arrghh!)
    I know It's pure torture for me. I have 2 exams on Monday, 1 on Wednesday, PYA5 on Thursday and finally finishing with History on Friday. I'd also have had one on Tuesday if I hadn't sat that unit in January! It's an immense amount of pressure. I mostly only need Bs and Cs in the remaining papers to get my uni grades, but the possibility of dropping a few marks due to trying to cram so many exams close together is really scaring me Hope all yours go okay.

ReputationRep:
    You too What other a levels are you doing? What made you choose to do them self-taught?

In response to your q on the other PYA thread ~ I have chosen to concentrate on 3 areas, I'm not going to have any choice in the exam but I think it's much easier to do it this way (and it's the way psychology students that I know from my other subject groups are learning..)
    Along with Psychology, I'm doing History and English Lit to A2, and Politics and Philosophy to AS - all with NEC materials The self teaching thing is sort of a long story but it started about 5 years ago when I was out of school due to glandular fever. I was keeping up with the work by barely doing anything and not getting any healthier with constant attempts to go back to school, so I eventually left altogether. Did 2 GCSEs by distance learning at the age of 14, got A*s, and just carried on from there really. I'd never liked school and I loved the choice and flexibility so much that I never went back! It's been great actually, it suits me down to the ground. I get all my mates coming round during their lunch breaks and after school but I don't actually have to sit through endless lessons with them - and I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn after a night out Wouldn't suit everyone but its been great for me. What made you do your Psychology out of school?

Thanks for the exam tip too - 3 seems to be the general consensus, and I think that's what I'll stick to.

ReputationRep:
    I know It's pure torture for me. I have 2 exams on Monday, 1 on Wednesday, PYA5 on Thursday and finally finishing with History on Friday.
    Hang on a minute, how is your PYA5 on Thursday? Mine's on Wednesday!

ReputationRep:
    Along with Psychology, I'm doing History and English Lit to A2, and Politics and Philosophy to AS - all with NEC materials
    Are you doing AQA-B English Lit?

ReputationRep:
    Hang on a minute, how is your PYA5 on Thursday? Mine's on Wednesday!
    Doh - I've got so many exams I can't even remember when they are I'm getting so confused - PYA's Wednesday, yeah, and it's English on Thursday!

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing AQA-B English Lit?
    Nope - AQA-A

ReputationRep:
    How come your PYA5 is thursday?? Mine's on wednesday!!

I did my AS levels in college: Graphic Design, English Lit, Film Studies and General Studies.. I really couldn't have cared less what I got last year & was looking at really rubbish unis - but for some reason that all changed when I got As for my ASs and realised that I could do well if I worked hard.

Originally I was going to do politics in a year - but I couldnt do it at my college so went to a tutorial college, they gave us 2 3 hour lessons a week and I found it soo boring sitting in a class for that long!!! So then I decided to do psychology instead.. still couldn't take it in a year at college so discovered the nec in october and worked my ass off to do AS in jan!!! Hehe

Right, I'm off to revise. Maybe. Hehe.

PS : Next week is hellish. After thursday I've got a break til the following monday when I have my last exam though , so i can spend the whole weekend studying for one english paper which will be a luxury amount of time!!

ReputationRep:
    Doh - I've got so many exams I can't even remember when they are PYA's Thursday, yeah, and it's English on Wednesday!
    Ah.. did you have a clash?

ReputationRep:
    I did my AS levels in college: Graphic Design, English Lit, Film Studies and General Studies.. I really couldn't have cared less what I got last year & was looking at really rubbish unis - but for some reason that all changed when I got As for my ASs and realised that I could do well if I worked hard.
    Wow, that's really good! People always sell themselves short, I find, especially where I live. They are much cleverer than they think, so they go in for rubbish Universities with DDD offers when they got A's and B's at AS. It's madness, I say (says the boy who applied to Cambridge and was rejected at the interview!).
    Right, I'm off to revise. Maybe. Hehe.
    Yeah, I keep saying that too. I have Procrastinitis.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.