0lut0
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So, my school is sorting out a-level subjects using blocks which is a little frustrating. So, basically you can't choose two subjects from the same block. You have to pick one subject from one block.
So far i've picked Geography and English Literature but the third option is worrying me I want to do Sociology but the requirements are quite high you need a B in all core subjects and to be fair I don't think I can't do that for Maths. I'm also interested in Government & Politics, those two are the only real options i'm thinking about.
So, it's either Government & Politics or Sociology. (Background info and experiences would be nice too).
Idk which to pick.
Purple-Pixie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 0lut0)
So, my school is sorting out a-level subjects using blocks which is a little frustrating. So, basically you can't choose two subjects from the same block. You have to pick one subject from one block.
So far i've picked Geography and English Literature but the third option is worrying me I want to do Sociology but the requirements are quite high you need a B in all core subjects and to be fair I don't think I can't do that for Maths. I'm also interested in Government & Politics, those two are the only real options i'm thinking about.
So, it's either Government & Politics or Sociology. (Background info and experiences would be nice too).
Idk which to pick.
Are your school really strict on entry requirements or do you think they'll be lenient since it's a new subject? The official entry requirements for Sociology at my school is an A in English but there's someone in my class who didn't get that and they still let them do it.

I do both Sociology and Politics AS Level and I'm probably going to study both of them to A2 as I'm really enjoying them Politics exams are really tight on time - it's a mark a minute so you have to write a 25 mark essay in 25 minutes Sociology isn't quite as restrictive for time thankfully. Both subjects link in really well together as in Politics you learn about the New Right and feminism which are key concepts in Sociology, and there are also some political aspects in Sociology so it would be great if you could do both subjects.

I think Politics is harder than Sociology as there's more content, but it's a bit more interesting. As long as you have a genuine interest for Politics you'll be fine with it. In Sociology we're learning about Families and Households at the moment and we often look at different sociologists' views on the family, how families have changed since maybe the 1900s.

Both subjects are great in my opinion so you can't really go wrong with whichever one you choose, hope I helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
11.03%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (87)
63.97%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (18)
13.24%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (13)
9.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.21%

Watched Threads