Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Parents forcing you to end a relationship. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    dont let them, find a way to make it work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I agree with all your post apart from this bit Nik! Won't go down well with most parents, and isn't really a very fair comment to make . I'm sure they have your best interests at heart, Ghost , next time don't get any tacky love bites
    naw, i no but the post seemed a bit thin without advice of that sort. how old are you, Ghost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Theyre going on about how its not the love bite.. its what it leads to.. and how my life can be ****ed up in 1 minute. The lack of trust is sickening.

Has anyone else ever been through this situation?
    What is this, well we are sorry oh mighty vengeful parents... we wont have sex untill you allow us to. Why is it any of their business if you wanna have sex (guess this is what they mean by leads to), tell them to mind their own sexual habits and you will mind yours. Seriously I cant see the problem... if you wanted to quit school and become a bum then yeh I could understand there being issues with that but sex....come on man sort them out and go see your G/F.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17, just finished my exams on monday and was looking forward to spending 2.5 months of freedom with her

I have had a big long discussion with my dad.. he will let me see her aslong as some of our friends are there at the same time.
    My mum, pfft **** that, she is one of the most unreasonable and narrow minded and hypocritical *****es I have met in my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    I'm 17, just finished my exams on monday and was looking forward to spending 2.5 months of freedom with her

I have had a big long discussion with my dad.. he will let me see her aslong as some of our friends are there at the same time.
    My mum, pfft **** that, she is one of the most unreasonable and narrow minded and hypocritical *****es I have met in my life.
    What is it that they object to so much? Are they religious? Are they worried that you are sleeping with her? How about you get some of you friend to go with you and come back with you but leave you and her with some time alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    My parents have basically forced me to end my relationship with my girlfriend. We've known eachother for a year and been going out almost 3 months, and they are forcing me to end it just because she left some love bites on my neck.
    There is no other way I can see her, she lives quite far away and my parents are pretty much the only way to see her.
    I am in tears right now and feel so sick. I want to murder my parents, right now.
    Surely no-one elses parents are this strict..

My parents are very strict, I had to hide and see my boyfriends. They would kill me If they knew that I had lost my virginity before marriage.
    Your parents must be doing it to protect you, dont hate them. The best thing to do, is talk to them and tell them how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    My parents have basically forced me to end my relationship with my girlfriend. We've known eachother for a year and been going out almost 3 months, and they are forcing me to end it just because she left some love bites on my neck.
    There is no other way I can see her, she lives quite far away and my parents are pretty much the only way to see her.
    I am in tears right now and feel so sick. I want to murder my parents, right now.
    Surely no-one elses parents are this strict..
    They're forcing you to finish it because of love bites?! That's a bit harsh. Can't you reason with them, or is that a bad idea? Would you be able to get back together with her sometime? Say if you're off to uni or something..

ReputationRep:
    My mum is somewhat religious, my dad is just paranoid..

ReputationRep:
    they knew you had a gf, they must know these things happen. talk to them and say that if they don't let you see your gf then you will just do all you can to deceive them and continue seeing her/ringing her/emailing her. they cannot split you up and by attempting to do so they're just alienating you. you've been honest about your gf and surely thats better than sneaking around behind their backs?

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    They're both busy yelling about it.. I can hear them from here..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueAngel)
    My parents are very strict, I had to hide and see my boyfriends. They would kill me If they knew that I had lost my virginity before marriage.
    I am quite lucky with my parents in the long run. They tend not to like new boyfriends. Not they seem to like my bf. My mum pretty much told me that she knows I sleep with him and just to be carefull. Although I have never told her or really had a conversation about it. We were allowed to share a bed when we went on holiday with my familiy last year and this year we have are own hotel room. So I guess that I am lucky now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I am quite lucky with my parents in the long run. They tend not to like new boyfriends. Not they seem to like my bf. My mum pretty much told me that she knows I sleep with him and just to be carefull. Although I have never told her or really had a conversation about it. We were allowed to share a bed when we went on holiday with my familiy last year and this year we have are own hotel room. So I guess that I am lucky now.

Youve been blessed with nice parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    My mum is somewhat religious, my dad is just paranoid..
    Mate youre 17, jesus christ. Firstly, the age of consent is 16, meaning youre legally allowed to have sex.

I cant even be arsed to carry this on, youre 17 and you still let your parents dictate your life like this?

ReputationRep:
    I hate restrictive parents. Prospective parents should be given a quiz on what they would do in certain situations - including one like this - and forbidden from having children if it's clear they wouldn't treat them properly. I mean, good God, if the LAW says you can have sex at 16 - and the legal justice system is hardly known for being liberal - then what exactly do parents think they're playing at by forbidding it after 16? Rule number one of parenting: when your child becomes an adolescent and is going through a time of turbulent emotions, you do NOT **** with those emotions any further. Certainly not because you're just so pathetic you can't bear to let your child grow up.

I've been incredibly fortunate to have completely permissive parents. I've been granted as much independence as I want since I was old enough to ask for it, and I'm very grateful for it.

ReputationRep:
    That's so harsh. I was always sooo secretive about my bf's. Although I'd bring them over and introduce them to my parents first I'd never invite them over all the time (Although after I turned 17 that happened more and my ex was always staying over). They are only worried about you. Explain to them that you have no intention of doing anything more than that (Blatantly lie) and invest in a good concealer or foundation. Or....just make sure the lovebites are restricted for under the clothes. Or just don't do them, lovebites are actually quite bad...it's burst blood vessels under the skin like bruising.

ReputationRep:
    And if you do decide to go further TALK ABOUT IT FIRST. There is nothing worse than getting yourself into a sticky situation with a girl and then finding out she's a devout catholic. etc etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    only jking m8 sorry 2 hear about that but i assume ur going 2 uni without ur gf; maybe it helps in the fact that u wont have 2 break up with her then when ull like her more??

tell ur parents that ur a grown man and know how 2 use a condom (if u make it sound that uve had sex they will b mortified so dnt do that!)

or say u r following abstinence they may fall 4 that cz its bn in the news and is bing seen in america as a gd thing (scientifically yes it is but really ffs its 2 hard 2 follow!!)

gd luck m8 hope it works

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your comments guys,
    just had a long talk with my mum. She has seen lovebites on my neck before, but didnt say anything about it, which lead me to assume it was ok. When I asked her if anything was wrong she had told me that there was nothing wrong, which was a blatant lie.
    I told her there was no way for me to know my parents were so against it since they had never said anything to me about it (apart from the blatant lie), therefore meaning it is their fault, not mine.
    I'm feeling slightly better now that I got all of my points across, I'll just need to have a discussion with my dad (if my mum doesent) when he gets back from work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Wow, this thread's made me realise I've been really lucky too. I've been with my boyfriend since I was 16, and I'm now 18, whilst he's four years older than me. From the beginning of our relationship my parents were cool about him staying over and sleeping in my room, and vice versa - I don't remember ever having a big conversation about it, they just trusted me to be sensible and would rather I wasn't sneaking around behind their backs. We went on a family holiday 3 months after getting together and had our own room, and now we go away on our own whenever we can and they're quite happy with it. We spend a stupid amount of time together, my boyfriend usually stays over at my house a few nights per week, and when we stay at my dad's he wouldn't even think of separating us for the night. In fact, if I'm home alone for a few nights my parents prefer my boyfriend to be here to look after me! Perhaps remind your parents that if they treat you like a responsible adult, you're more likely to act like one because you'll have no frustrations or need to rebel. I guess I can't add any more to the advice on here really, except good luck

ReputationRep:
    How do you get on with your gf's parents? A phone call from your gf's mum could work wonders, you know, this kind of thing

"Oh he is such a lovely boy, we were so pleased when she brought him home because there are so many unsuitable people out there and you know how parents worry, and it's much worse for parents of girls, the girls have so much more to lose so it's wonderful that she has brought home such a well brought up young man that we don't need to worry"

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.