The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Computer Science Interview

Hi, I got an invitation for an open day (which an interview is included with), for MEng Computer Science at the University of Manchester.

I was wondering if attendance to the interview is compulsory for them to give you an offer, since it doesn't say anything in the letter I was given.

Can anyone help?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump :s
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
No. I didn't go and still got an offer
Reply 3
Original post by SamePrice

Thanks - did you decline the invitation on UCAS?
Original post by Unravelling
Hi, I got an invitation for an open day (which an interview is included with), for MEng Computer Science at the University of Manchester.

I was wondering if attendance to the interview is compulsory for them to give you an offer, since it doesn't say anything in the letter I was given.

Can anyone help?

If at all possible, I highly recommend you attend. I had mine a few weeks ago, and it was incredibly insightful. The interview only lasts for a small proportion of the day, but the opportunity to speak to staff, current students, see the facilities, explore the learning ethic and just embrace what Manchester has to offer is invaluable.

However, if you can't attend, I doubt it'd be a barrier in receiving an offer. I was only asked 1 or 2 questions...
Just got an interview for BSc Computer Science for the 15th. I've read on Student Room that their interviews are pretty informal but the UCAS update actually said interview or portfolio so I don't know if this is the standard. Perhaps this interview/portfolio combination means it is a little more serious than the interviews that other people have had? I don't know.

But any advice would be really appreciated.
Original post by Anonymoose12
Just got an interview for BSc Computer Science for the 15th. I've read on Student Room that their interviews are pretty informal but the UCAS update actually said interview or portfolio so I don't know if this is the standard. Perhaps this interview/portfolio combination means it is a little more serious than the interviews that other people have had? I don't know.

But any advice would be really appreciated.

I think it's just a standardised template. Mine was solely an interview but the notification was the following:

Hi, you posted a message onto my profile but I can't seem to reply to you, so I'll just put mine here instead.

Sorry to hear you didn't get an offer from Cambridge! I wasn't actually given a reason why I was rejected, but I personally am not too bothered about it. For the record, I got 3 A*s at A-level and I'm now studying a MEng Computer Science course at UCL.

You say that you're thinking of taking a gap year and then applying to Oxford. I personally would say that you shouldn't get too hung up on trying to get an Oxbridge degree, because honestly, even during and after your course, it will not matter at all. Most employers in CS will check that you have a degree of some kind and then make sure you do well in a technical interview. They realise that actual understanding (as well as good communications skills) are far more important than where you spent your last three/four years.

I am extremely happy with my course, and I get a lot of industry contact. Wherever you end up, make sure that you sign up for some hackathons (they're free and great fun!), where you'll get the chance to meet lots of interesting people from across the country and build great stuff. You may also bring yourself to the attention of the sponsors, potentially, although hackathons aren't really networking events.

The point I'm trying to make is, computing employers don't target solely Oxbridge, and you should never feel like that Oxbridge is where you go if you are the best. Glasgow has a thriving games industry. York's CS department actually has an IBM office in their building. And here in London, we rub shoulders with loads of startups and big companies - last term alone, I went to talks run by Google, Blackrock and Bloomberg, as well as visiting the offices of Facebook and King (the people behind Candy Crush). As long as you keep on making new things, as long as you study hard and learn the materials well, you'll have an education which is just as good as any other place, in my opinion. So, think hard on whether you would want to take a whole year off for a chance to study at Oxbridge.

That said, what other places did you apply to? I wish you the best of luck with your future :smile:
Original post by sarcasmrules
Hi, you posted a message onto my profile but I can't seem to reply to you, so I'll just put mine here instead.

Sorry to hear you didn't get an offer from Cambridge! I wasn't actually given a reason why I was rejected, but I personally am not too bothered about it. For the record, I got 3 A*s at A-level and I'm now studying a MEng Computer Science course at UCL.

You say that you're thinking of taking a gap year and then applying to Oxford. I personally would say that you shouldn't get too hung up on trying to get an Oxbridge degree, because honestly, even during and after your course, it will not matter at all. Most employers in CS will check that you have a degree of some kind and then make sure you do well in a technical interview. They realise that actual understanding (as well as good communications skills) are far more important than where you spent your last three/four years.

I am extremely happy with my course, and I get a lot of industry contact. Wherever you end up, make sure that you sign up for some hackathons (they're free and great fun!), where you'll get the chance to meet lots of interesting people from across the country and build great stuff. You may also bring yourself to the attention of the sponsors, potentially, although hackathons aren't really networking events.

The point I'm trying to make is, computing employers don't target solely Oxbridge, and you should never feel like that Oxbridge is where you go if you are the best. Glasgow has a thriving games industry. York's CS department actually has an IBM office in their building. And here in London, we rub shoulders with loads of startups and big companies - last term alone, I went to talks run by Google, Blackrock and Bloomberg, as well as visiting the offices of Facebook and King (the people behind Candy Crush). As long as you keep on making new things, as long as you study hard and learn the materials well, you'll have an education which is just as good as any other place, in my opinion. So, think hard on whether you would want to take a whole year off for a chance to study at Oxbridge.

That said, what other places did you apply to? I wish you the best of luck with your future :smile:

First of all, I must stress just how much I genuinely appreciate the lengthy response, it was so helpful! The reason why I am considering reapplying is because, for the past three years, i've pretty much aligned my life according to what would maximise my chances of getting into Oxbridge. Almost every major decision i've made, i've had Oxbridge in mind - from working extra hard for my GCSE's, to joining various clubs, spending hours applying for difference work experiences, taking an extra AS-level, doing an EPQ on quantum cryptography, etc... Pretty much all of it was with Oxbridge in mind, and I really wouldn't want all of that work to seemingly go to waste. This is a particularly prominent factor because the other universities I applied for, Bristol, Warwick, Manchester & Durham I have got offers for, but so have others with so much less than me, and who aren't nearly as passionate as I am about their chosen subject. It really has been my dream to go and, unfortunately, I thought I would get it, but even more so did my parents. I have a vague idea of what i'd to on the gap year: Work until Christmas whilst preparing for the admissions tests & interview, whilst learning French and practicing guitar (essentially Oxbridge took over these commitments, annoyingly), advance further with DofE, take up a new, different sport and do a French-exchange sort of thing. Then, I would spend time working at a software-related company, and then go on holiday/partake in Camp America. I would also take an additional A-level in additional further maths. My birthday also works in favour - late July.
This probably sounds good on paper, and i'd be happy to get most of it done, but am I blind to the negatives of a gap year? Could you enlighten me, thank you ever so much!! :smile:
First of all, I must stress just how much I genuinely appreciate the lengthy response, it was so helpful! The reason why I am considering reapplying is because, for the past three years, i've pretty much aligned my life according to what would maximise my chances of getting into Oxbridge. Almost every major decision i've made, i've had Oxbridge in mind - from working extra hard for my GCSE's, to joining various clubs, spending hours applying for difference work experiences, taking an extra AS-level, doing an EPQ on quantum cryptography, etc... Pretty much all of it was with Oxbridge in mind, and I really wouldn't want all of that work to seemingly go to waste. This is a particularly prominent factor because the other universities I applied for, Bristol, Warwick, Manchester & Durham I have got offers for, but so have others with so much less than me, and who aren't nearly as passionate as I am about their chosen subject. It really has been my dream to go and, unfortunately, I thought I would get it, but even more so did my parents. I have a vague idea of what i'd to on the gap year: Work until Christmas whilst preparing for the admissions tests & interview, whilst learning French and practicing guitar (essentially Oxbridge took over these commitments, annoyingly), advance further with DofE, take up a new, different sport and do a French-exchange sort of thing. Then, I would spend time working at a software-related company, and then go on holiday/partake in Camp America. I would also take an additional A-level in additional further maths. My birthday also works in favour - late July.
This probably sounds good on paper, and i'd be happy to get most of it done, but am I blind to the negatives of a gap year? Could you enlighten me, thank you ever so much!! :smile:

I really hope the best for you and I assure you I'm not trying to shoot down your dreams or anything. But you say that you don't want to go to the other universities because they are not as good as you? I'd like to ask, what are you basing this on? Because if you're referring to entry requirements, then you should know that UCAS offers mean very little. I mean, at my university, offers range from A*A*A to BBC, and honestly, no one is going to care what other people get. The thing that sticks out is that you feel like you want to be there because you love the subject, and you'll find that a lot of people wherever you go chose the course because they are passionate about it (applies to computer science especially). With university, you're going to get out of it what you put in, and that extends to all parts of university life, including the social side of things.

You also implied that your parents were expectant on you getting into Cambridge; I'd just like to take this moment to say that this is not about what they want, it is about you and what you want to do with your life. Don't let anyone - be it family, friends, or random strangers on the internet - tell you how you should proceed with your life :tongue:

What I will say with the gap year though, is that a lot of those things you seem to want to do are very conditional. Do you know that you'll definitely get a job, get a French exchange set up, et cetera? The thing with a gap year is, you will have to wing it at some point, and you have to be prepared to do that. It's definitely not going to be a year that follows a plan perfectly! (I know a few people who did a gap year, some worked, some did nothing, and a couple did an internship). So, you gotta think about if it's right for you! :smile:

So what are the exact reasons for wanting a specifically Oxbridge degree? What is it you want to achieve? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending