The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Our local mp, and cabinet member, came into our school on Friday to answer politics student's questions, I raised the exact same point, frustrates me so much. I live in London but my school isn't in London so my train tickets are super expensive every day, and I can't use oyster, due to my schools station not being in a zone.
It also bugs me how in every other sense, we are classed and treated as a child, except when it comes to fares or tickets and taking our money, then it seems to be that you are an adult at 16. Yet I don't remember being allowed to vote or buy alcohol.
Reply 2
Original post by 10jero
Our local mp, and cabinet member, came into our school on Friday to answer politics student's questions, I raised the exact same point, frustrates me so much. I live in London but my school isn't in London so my train tickets are super expensive every day, and I can't use oyster, due to my schools station not being in a zone.
It also bugs me how in every other sense, we are classed and treated as a child, except when it comes to fares or tickets and taking our money, then it seems to be that you are an adult at 16. Yet I don't remember being allowed to vote or buy alcohol.

100% agree, when my local Mp visits my school in January i shall raise this issue
I've always wondered this too. Frustrating :unimpressed:
Extremely fair point. It's probably tied in with the old idea of 16 being the point of leaving education. Since that's no longer true it seems clear these practices should be amended.
Original post by 10jero

16-25 railcard?

Some places (hotels and flights) actually charges those over 12 adult prices which I find bizarre.
Reply 6
There are so many student discounts around that it's actually quite uncommon for a 16/17 year old to pay the full adult price on anything. Have you tried getting a 16-25 railcard?
Original post by Arbolus
There are so many student discounts around that it's actually quite uncommon for a 16/17 year old to pay the full adult price on anything. Have you tried getting a 16-25 railcard?

They only work off peak or make peak tickets more expensive. So pretty useless for using commuter trains.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Yep got a 16-25 railcard which is great except you can't use it before 10.00am, which is when I obviously travel to school.
Original post by 10jero
Yep got a 16-25 railcard which is great except you can't use it before 10.00am, which is when I obviously travel to school.

You can if your fare is at least £12. However, it may be cheaper to get a weekly ticket.
Why do 12+ have to buy adult tickets on plane tickets too!
In answer to the original point, it is called market pricing. Conservative governments privatised bus services outside London and franchised the trains.
Original post by Unkempt_One
Extremely fair point. It's probably tied in with the old idea of 16 being the point of leaving education. Since that's no longer true it seems clear these practices should be amended.

Wait you cant leave school at 16 anymore? When did this happen, is it only a England/Wales thing?
Original post by CAElite
Wait you cant leave school at 16 anymore? When did this happen, is it only a England/Wales thing?

Well, you sort of can but not without being in further education or having an apprenticeship. The guidance.
Reply 14
Original post by barnetlad
In answer to the original point, it is called market pricing. Conservative governments privatised bus services outside London and franchised the trains.

Then the government should raise the minimum wage for 16 & 17 year olds to that of 18-24 year olds
Reply 15
Original post by saxsan4
Why should 16 and 17 year olds pay for an adult train ticket and other things when we have a lower minimum wage than 18-24 year olds???

I DONT KNOW BUT IT’S SO DUMB.
16 and 17 year olds have to pay for an adult ticket but still sometimes have to be accompanied by an adult?!?? Either treat us like adults or kids there’s no in between, it’s ridiculous.

Latest