erm wasnt OCR P3 last tuesday?

ReputationRep:
    mei ocr p3 was today... i failed

ReputationRep:
    there was a p3 exam today for ocr (mei) syllabus code 2603

ReputationRep:
    what is mei?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the comprehension was NASTY!!! I couldn't get the 4/3 pi a....I keep thinking about it, and dont understand how an a^-2 gets to an a? (Since a is a constant)

ReputationRep:
    it was horrible all over!

...everyone else found it okay apparently.. me i failed i failed soo badly

sigh chances are they wont even put the grade boundaries down...

...i was planiing to do math at kings, but i;m seriously considering to withdraw from the offer...

ReputationRep:
    I found the exam quite difficult, especially the comprehension. Two questions;

(1) was the shape of the curve D an ellipse?

(2) what was the angle in the vectors question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetymango)
    I thought the comprehension was NASTY!!! I couldn't get the 4/3 pi a....I keep thinking about it, and dont understand how an a^-2 gets to an a? (Since a is a constant)
    a is a constant so a^-2 can also be a constant? therefore one letter can stand for all?
    i dunno its a stupid guess...

ReputationRep:
    yea - i honestly thought both section A and B were relatively easy. Quite a few people had problems with that volume of egg question but i have no idea why, it was a p1 standard question! I just hope my working was legible because they hardly provided any space (None for that little next section that was show that the volume of the egg is larger than the volume of the original sphere - terrible - i had to write my answer at the bottom in the blank space).

Also anyone else notice the typo in the booklet for comprehension - where it said that the curve crosses the y-axis at (1,0) and (-1,0).....they really should be more careful!

ReputationRep:
    i can't believe how horrible that exam was and the comprehension was just as bad! I think i got 115.(something) for the angle... i can't remember... i know it was the inverse cos of -0.4 so what ever that is (burning my calculator now!)

ReputationRep:
    oh btw the answer to that volume question

you needed to integrate 1-x^2a^-2 between a and -a (the limits). thus that's why when you sub in a, you have pi/3 * a^3a^-2 -> pi*a/3
    and the rest is similar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)

Also anyone else notice the typo in the booklet for comprehension - where it said that the curve crosses the y-axis at (1,0) and (-1,0).....they really should be more careful!
    why what does that mean?

ReputationRep:
    arccos of -.4??? i didnt get that - i got it was arccos of -4/root(5*32) - eek and i thought i was right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chucky123)
    why what does that mean?
    it crosses the y-axis at (0,1) and (0,-1) duh!

ReputationRep:
    i no this sounds so selfish... but i;m glad u guys found it hard too...

all i heard wen i came out from the exam hall was how it was alrite?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    arccos of -.4??? i didnt get that - i got it was arccos of -4/root(5*32) - eek and i thought i was right!
    im pretty sure im right cuz i shecked and double checked... i got cos(theta)=-4/(root5*root20) what did everyone else get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    it crosses the y-axis at (0,1) and (0,-1) duh!
    yea obviously but how does that affect the question....

ReputationRep:
    no it was still a mistake.

and i didnt get it to be root 20 - because i got vector CB to be (-4,4,0) and that has a magntiude of root 32

you may well be right and i jsut amde a miscalculation when finding vector CB - oh well, one or two marks lost, cant complain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    no it was still a mistake.

and i didnt get it to be root 20 - because i got vector CB to be (-4,4,0) and that has a magntiude of root 32
    i got CB to be something different... oh well iv probably failed!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.