The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow 2016 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Glasgow Uni
Hi there!
I think during your first two years you can expect to have around 12 contact hours per week altogether, also depending on your subjects. The second/third option takes up just as many hours as your other subject(s). I did beginners Spanish on my second year as my third subject and for that class I had 3 contact hours per week (I think at more advanced level you also need to do a "culture"-class in addition to the actual language classes). There are some guidelines about self-study, but it is really up to you how much you decide to spend on that. And of course, doing languages it is quite different compared to some other subjects as well! Hope this helps.

Essi
Undergraduate Rep
School of Social and Political Sciences

Thanks for your reply! I It's helpful, thanks
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Hi!
I just firmed my unconditional offer on Monday and was wondering if I'll receive a letter of confirmation from the university (already received a letter from UCAS).
Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by isitisisitis
Thanks for your reply! I It's helpful, thanks

I do Spanish Non Beginners, German Beginners and French Beginners, with French as my third subject.

During your induction you'll be advised that three languages, two being beginners courses, is a lot of work, PLEASE LISTEN TO THAT, because it is :P

Beginners language courses are really intense because you're being taught all you need to know to be able to go straight into level 2. Be prepared to spend much of your time studying to keep on top of everything. I try to study an hour every day for each language, so that'd be 3hrs a day studying on top of being in classes.

My week is usually as follows:

Monday - French Video Class 10am, Spanish Language Reinforcement 11am, German Lecture 1pm, Spanish Culture 3pm

Tuesday - French Written Class 10am, Core Culture 1pm

Wednesday - French Written 10am (fortnightly), Spanish Language Skills 11am, German Seminar 12pm

Thursday - Spanish Culture Seminar (not every week, only when a topic has been concluded)

Friday - French Oral Class 10am, Spanish Language Skills 11am, German Tutorial 12pm.

You'll be recommended to work a maximum of 12hrs per week if you have a part time job so you can concentrate on studies, but if you can't work only 12 then don't worry because I work 15-25hrs per week haha. Although it can seem like you don't have time for anything else you just have to be sure to organise your time well. Set time aside for studying and social student-y stuff and you'll be much less stressed!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 63
Unconditional offer for MSc Data Science.. Is there anyone else with the same course?
Reply 64
Unconditional Offer for MA Sonic Arts, anyone else?
Original post by andersonr06
I do Spanish Non Beginners, German Beginners and French Beginners, with French as my third subject.

During your induction you'll be advised that three languages, two being beginners courses, is a lot of work, PLEASE LISTEN TO THAT, because it is :P

Beginners language courses are really intense because you're being taught all you need to know to be able to go straight into level 2. Be prepared to spend much of your time studying to keep on top of everything. I try to study an hour every day for each language, so that'd be 3hrs a day studying on top of being in classes.

My week is usually as follows:

Monday - French Video Class 10am, Spanish Language Reinforcement 11am, German Lecture 1pm, Spanish Culture 3pm

Tuesday - French Written Class 10am, Core Culture 1pm

Wednesday - French Written 10am (fortnightly), Spanish Language Skills 11am, German Seminar 12pm

Thursday - Spanish Culture Seminar (not every week, only when a topic has been concluded)

Friday - French Oral Class 10am, Spanish Language Skills 11am, German Tutorial 12pm.

You'll be recommended to work a maximum of 12hrs per week if you have a part time job so you can concentrate on studies, but if you can't work only 12 then don't worry because I work 15-25hrs per week haha. Although it can seem like you don't have time for anything else you just have to be sure to organise your time well. Set time aside for studying and social student-y stuff and you'll be much less stressed!

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks very much for your recommendations! I'll be doing non-beginners French and Spanish, and perhaps History too (although I may go for go another language). What texts did you enjoy in German?

Are you in your second year currently?

Isis :smile:
Original post by isitisisitis
Thanks very much for your recommendations! I'll be doing non-beginners French and Spanish, and perhaps History too (although I may go for go another language). What texts did you enjoy in German?

Are you in your second year currently?

Isis :smile:

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get a notification that you replied to my post!

In beginners German we didn't study any texts since it's only the language you study in a beginners course. I'm finishing my first year, so I'll be starting second year in September.

Spanish and German are my honours subjects so I'll be doing Spanish Language 2, Spanish Culture 2, German Language 2, German Culture 2 and also German Culture 1, since you need that to progress to honours and I didn't do Culture 1 this year as it was only a beginners course.

The Culture aspect of the language course is where you study novels, poetry, film and theatre, so no doubt I'll have lots of fun with my double German culture next year haha!
Is anyone else going to study Infection Biology (MSc)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Hi can someone confirm something for me please?

I have AAAAB in S5 and have applied for law and French. My conditional is for BB at Advanced higher. Will my offer still be valid if I obtained AC instead?

Urgent please reply quick! Thank you.
Original post by Gjshaw22
Hi can someone confirm something for me please?

I have AAAAB in S5 and have applied for law and French. My conditional is for BB at Advanced higher. Will my offer still be valid if I obtained AC instead?

Urgent please reply quick! Thank you.

Hi,
There probably isn't a straightforward answer for that. I recommend emailing the School of Law [email protected] or [email protected] and they might be able to help you or point you to the right direction.

Essi
Undergraduate Rep
School of Social and Political Sciences
Good Morning,

I have an unconditional offer for postgraduate study(MSc) on September and I have been accepted a scholarship. In order to receive it, I need to have a certifying letter from the University that I actually have received an offer.

I have searched the university's website but I couldn't find anything. Do you know who should I contact to?

It kind of a serious matter because if I dont have this letter, I will lose my scholaship. Any help will be appreciated!
Reply 71
Original post by Evgenia_N
Good Morning,

I have an unconditional offer for postgraduate study(MSc) on September and I have been accepted a scholarship. In order to receive it, I need to have a certifying letter from the University that I actually have received an offer.

I have searched the university's website but I couldn't find anything. Do you know who should I contact to?

It kind of a serious matter because if I dont have this letter, I will lose my scholaship. Any help will be appreciated!

Hi Evgenia. Please contact the admission office by e-mail to issue you a confirmation. Whats the name of the scholarship you got? please reply.
Hi there, posting on behalf of my daughter.

She has a conditional for the Technological Education course at Glasgow Uni and I have a question regarding her conditions. She has to get an A and a B in 2 specific subjects (out of 4 highers) she 'should' get these grades but I'm thinking ahead of the game should she not achieve them. If for example she manages 3 A's and a B, the B being for the subject she needs an A in, can the Uni look at her results overall and still offer her a place or will she be rejected automatically? My nephew is studying elsewhere in Glasgow and said that the Uni's are not allowed to do this but as the minimum for the course is 1 A and 3 B's then she could apply through clearing for the same course? Not sure if that's the correct way to go about it or perhaps she could contact the Uni direct when her results come in instead? First child going to Uni so any and all help is greatly appreciated, sorry if it sounds confusing, any other info needed please let me know, thanks!
Reply 73
Hello everyone!

We have set this thread up for anyone who has applied to the University of Glasgow 2016. We know you will have lots of questions and we are here to help and make sure you get all the information you need to make the right decision-because it's such an important one.

We look forward to hearing from you.

The Offical Rep team at Glasgow

Hi!

I have affirmed my studies in the University of Glasgow in the field of Environmental Sciences and Sustainability for 2016 entry.
I will be studying in the Dumfries campus. As i will be moving to Scotland with my lifepartner i'm not going to need a student accomodation. My question is that would it be to complicated for me to live in Glasgow (or nearby) and still study in Dumfries. I was trying to search for time schedules for the first semester but as i understood they haven't released course timetables yet?
Reply 74
Original post by karttori
Hi!

I have affirmed my studies in the University of Glasgow in the field of Environmental Sciences and Sustainability for 2016 entry.
I will be studying in the Dumfries campus. As i will be moving to Scotland with my lifepartner i'm not going to need a student accomodation. My question is that would it be to complicated for me to live in Glasgow (or nearby) and still study in Dumfries. I was trying to search for time schedules for the first semester but as i understood they haven't released course timetables yet?

Well in terms of commuting, if you're driving it's about 1.5hrs one way, and there's a high possibility that'll be in peak time. If you're getting the train, the fees add up quickly and it can take over 2hrs one way to get there.
Reply 75
What subjects does she need the A and B in please?
Thank you!
Reply 76
Hi Everyone,

Congratulations on your place/results! I'm the new dance coach of the the University of Glasgow's competitive Pom team. I am looking for dancers with experience in ballet/jazz/pom/contemporary to try out and also those who have never tried this style of dance before. We will be competing in a few competitions this year. There was no Pom team last year, but previously UofG has been very successful in this division. Would love it if you can attend. Please keep an eye on the university cheerleading page for details of taster sessions. Thanks. Jaimie X
Hello everyone!

We have set this thread up for anyone who has applied to the University of Glasgow 2016. We know you will have lots of questions and we are here to help and make sure you get all the information you need to make the right decision-because it's such an important one.

We look forward to hearing from you.

The Offical Rep team at Glasgow

Hi there... Somebody has to help me... I've received my unconditional offer from University of Glasgow on 23rd August and I've received an email from the university about my admission also but I haven't receive my CAS letter yet.. I really need the CAS letter as soon as possible so that I can do my visa and go to Glasgow on time before orientation starts.. Can someone tell me how long will it take to issue my CAS letter and send it to me by email? And would you mind help me tell them to make it quick? I'm sorry if I sound very rude but I really really really need the CAS letter asap... Sorry! And thank you!
Original post by francisca_1109
Hi there... Somebody has to help me... I've received my unconditional offer from University of Glasgow on 23rd August and I've received an email from the university about my admission also but I haven't receive my CAS letter yet.. I really need the CAS letter as soon as possible so that I can do my visa and go to Glasgow on time before orientation starts.. Can someone tell me how long will it take to issue my CAS letter and send it to me by email? And would you mind help me tell them to make it quick? I'm sorry if I sound very rude but I really really really need the CAS letter asap... Sorry! And thank you!

Hi, that sounds a little nail biting! I had a similar situation when I was about start uni in France and waiting for funding letter... I'm not sure whether I'm the most suited person to help but I'd be happy to help you draft a letter/ make notes for a phone call. By CAS do you mean UCAS?
Hi there,
this may seem like a stupid question but I'm doing a Psychology (MA) course and I understand you choose two other arts subjects alongside psychology to do. so what are the options??

thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending