The Student Room Group

White Skin and British Indian Culture

All I know about skin whitening in India is that Bollywood prefers white skin actors and actresses over brown skin actresses.

British Indian celebrities have brown skin (Slumdog Millionaire) but then artists like The Wanted are all white skinned (but also half-white).

I don't personally care whether someone has white skin or brown skin.

Any help? Preferably just North Indians and South Indians repliers please.
It's not just Indians. I lived with some Chinese students and they had bottles of "skin whitening cream" in the bathroom.
Reply 2
Are British Indians better or worse than Indian Indians?
Original post by concubines
Are British Indians better or worse than Indian Indians?

British Indians are better off, although nowadays, the skin bleaching isn't as much as it was a few years ago in India imo (with Bollywood stars I mean)
Media. Propaganda. Society. Think about it every where you go you see white people. Adverts, posters, leaflets most dolls, video games. Where brainwashed to believe that fair skin is better. Look at the "Race Doll experiment" on YouTube. It's really sad. Personally I love brown skin.

Plus, I just searched for Bollywood actors and looked at their pictures when they where young. Their skin looks the same colour to me :/.
(edited 8 years ago)
Perhaps something to do with lighter skin people being the ones inside living the high life while darker skinned people work in the sun like how it was in the Tudor days (? - long time since I did British history).

India is still a pretty backward country so I wouldn't be surprised if they are stupid enough to perceive skin colour like that
Reply 6
As said before it's not just India. I was in Jamaica a year ago and the amount of skin whitening creams was quite depressing. I know it is a pretty big thing now with Jamaican women.

People need to realise that the amount of melanin in your skin doesn't determine your beauty or self worth.

Sorry, I'm not Indian, but I thought I'd say this to just emphasise it is a worldwide problem and ideology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending