The Student Room Group

Will my possible qualification hold me back?

I recently gave up on college due to family problems.

I was thinking of going back to college to gain the necessary qualifications to perhaps do Biochemistry or something like Molecular Biology at a University in Scotland. The let down is that I basically did not study a science subject at secondary school, so I do not currently posses any Standard grades (Level 4-5's) or Highers (I left school before I was 16.)

Assuming I went to college for a few years, and could get onto something like a HNC in Applied Sciences, would this enable me to go to University, or would it lock me out of possibly doing something like Biochemistry, or Molecular Biology at university

(I'm not interested in Physics at all, and I know that Applied Sciences does not cover Physics)

If this qualification would indeed hold me back, does anyone have a solution to this problem? Preferably one that doesn't involve a time machine.

I was actually on a HNC for a completely different subject, sadly I know that the particular subject doesn't carry over to Applied Sciences but I just want to put that out there that I know I could get to the HNC level again on a different field (I had no trouble coping with the work, I had to immediately leave the course however, and move to a different part of the country)

it's just that I don't want to waste my time for a possible number of years.

Thanks for reading.
So I'm still at school but I think there are some '2+2' courses where you do 2 years at college and then you get into 2 years at uni and get a degree. I'm not sure on the details but this is something you could look into.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending