The Student Room Group

The Waitrose Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Does anyone know if by becoming a team leader at Waitrose you will get pay more ?
Changing the subject, does it really matter if you fail the online training? I've only failed the trading standards one, which is annoying, but do they really mind? I'm on my probation period still, but do they just refresh and you have another go?
Starting night shift at waitrose, under the impression that will get uniform once started and given sizes etc. But what would I wear to the shifts before it arrives?
Original post by beesleyjoe
Starting night shift at waitrose, under the impression that will get uniform once started and given sizes etc. But what would I wear to the shifts before it arrives?

Good luck on the night shift! It depends if your store is open 24/7, my store closes at night so we all just wear comfy clothing. However if your open all the time, I wore a white shirt and black trousers on my first shift (during the day). You can always call your branch and speak to a manager. That would be the best option.
Original post by JCierpik
Changing the subject, does it really matter if you fail the online training? I've only failed the trading standards one, which is annoying, but do they really mind? I'm on my probation period still, but do they just refresh and you have another go?

Your managers can see that you fail online training, but at the end of the day, everybody learns differently and as long as you learn and pass it is fine. I think you can re-enroll your training anyways! Good luck
Original post by crypticlocker
What are Waitrose like with university students? I have a uni friend who works at his store during uni holidays (i.e. summer and christmas), is this a common arrangement as I'm starting soon with Waitrose but am returning to uni next month.

I made it apparent to them during my application that I was a uni student who would be going back and they still hired me - that must be a good sign?

Speaking from experience, my Waitrose branch are brilliant with Uni Students. I had lots of friends that came to work during summer break. Left for uni and will be back to work at Christmas!
I applied for night shifts at Waitrose/John Lewis but was offered day shifts instead. I realise my big mistake was to take that offer because it was available but now I really want to do nights instead. Is there anything I can do to make that happen?
Reply 967
Original post by IgnoranceSucks
I applied for night shifts at Waitrose/John Lewis but was offered day shifts instead. I realise my big mistake was to take that offer because it was available but now I really want to do nights instead. Is there anything I can do to make that happen?

Stick out day shits until one of the managers can switch you. Make it clear you want to do night shifts and offer to cover people when they are off. There is quite a high turn over so it shouldn't be too long.
Original post by WaitroseGod
Continuation from the last thread...I'm a very knowledgeable manager at Waitrose so i'll be able to answer pretty much every question you throw at me.

Here's the previous thread for reference.

I've just started a new job at Waitrose (my first day was Friday 2nd November) and need a day off to attend a university 'taster course' on Saturday 10th November. Do you have any suggestions about how I can get off my Saturday shift (13.30 - 21.30)?
Original post by george.p16
I've just started a new job at Waitrose (my first day was Friday 2nd November) and need a day off to attend a university 'taster course' on Saturday 10th November. Do you have any suggestions about how I can get off my Saturday shift (13.30 - 21.30)?

Hi

If you still need help, all you need to do is call up the store and ask to talk to your manager if their in and tell them your situation. If your manager isn't in you can ask to talk to another manager. I've only been working for Waitrose since July, but i've found they're very supportive of future development and acknowledge your personal life. For some context/possible result: I asked for a day off for an English Lit trip (to see Othello) the day before as it hadn't been authorised on the system and my manager said he'd try and find cover, 7 minutes later he called back saying he'd found cover, who was covering me and to enjoy my trip and he'd see me soon.

Good luck!
I've got my first shift at Waitrose in a couple days but I haven't been given much info about what's happening. All I've been given is my start date and I've seen my shift time from logging into my account. I'm guessing I just go in wearing a white shirt, black trousers, go to the welcome desk and tell them its my first day?
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey all, i am just about to start the situational judgmental test online and i know its fairly basic but does anyone have any tips or know what answers they prefer over the others? like not bothering the manager etc...???
Reply 972
Original post by AlphaHc
Hey all, i am just about to start the situational judgmental test online and i know its fairly basic but does anyone have any tips or know what answers they prefer over the others? like not bothering the manager etc...???

Hey,

Wondering how you got on with this? Do you still need advice?
Original post by 8472
Hey,

Wondering how you got on with this? Do you still need advice?

Hi,

Long story short I received the “We are sorry to disappoint you, but competition has been strong and we have received other applications which more closely match the requirements of the role” email.

It’s beyond me how some of the employees in stores like Tesco , Waitrose , M&S and Sainsbury’s pass these tests.

However I have managed to get an interview for another role customer assistant/delivery driver.

I’m comfortable doing interviews but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply 974
Original post by AlphaHc
Hi,

Long story short I received the “We are sorry to disappoint you, but competition has been strong and we have received other applications which more closely match the requirements of the role” email.

It’s beyond me how some of the employees in stores like Tesco , Waitrose , M&S and Sainsbury’s pass these tests.

However I have managed to get an interview for another role customer assistant/delivery driver.

I’m comfortable doing interviews but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don't worry the situational tests are a load of tosh to be honest. I recently left the partnership after being a partner, shift lead and manager yet before I got my job I failed the test 3 times. It's basically just to make sure you're a sane human and avoids people applying to loads of jobs in order to get one. The way I always looked at was, read about what the partnership means online and what would you as a customer in store expect. Then go with the ideal answer for the business/customer rather than perhaps yourself or team.

In terms of interviews. Varies greatly by the manager that does them. I kept it quite human and wanted to get to know someone for who they were so they'd fit in with the team rather than what's often suggested with ideal candidates. My advice would be have a gleam through the JLP website in particular the core principles. click me for link .. they are what is banged into everyone and when audited partners are asked about. Be aware of the history of the company and talk about it. Will demonstrate that you're wanting this job, interested in the company and have awareness of the brand. Also worth noting about the the rebrand that happened. Charlie Mayfield the CEO announcing he was stepping down in 2020 the business will be changing and modernising quite a bit.

another useful link
https://www.jlpjobs.com/about/partnership-spirit-and-behaviours/
Original post by 8472
Don't worry the situational tests are a load of tosh to be honest. I recently left the partnership after being a partner, shift lead and manager yet before I got my job I failed the test 3 times. It's basically just to make sure you're a sane human and avoids people applying to loads of jobs in order to get one. The way I always looked at was, read about what the partnership means online and what would you as a customer in store expect. Then go with the ideal answer for the business/customer rather than perhaps yourself or team.

In terms of interviews. Varies greatly by the manager that does them. I kept it quite human and wanted to get to know someone for who they were so they'd fit in with the team rather than what's often suggested with ideal candidates. My advice would be have a gleam through the JLP website in particular the core principles. click me for link .. they are what is banged into everyone and when audited partners are asked about. Be aware of the history of the company and talk about it. Will demonstrate that you're wanting this job, interested in the company and have awareness of the brand. Also worth noting about the the rebrand that happened. Charlie Mayfield the CEO announcing he was stepping down in 2020 the business will be changing and modernising quite a bit.

Thanks for all the info I’ll be sure to read up before the interview and take your Info into consideration if I ever do another test.

Just out of curiosity if say I went into the interview and didn’t fit the role I was being interviewed for is there any possibility they could offer me another position ?

Thanks again.
Reply 976
Original post by AlphaHc
Thanks for all the info I’ll be sure to read up before the interview and take your Info into consideration if I ever do another test.

Just out of curiosity if say I went into the interview and didn’t fit the role I was being interviewed for is there any possibility they could offer me another position ?

Thanks again.

Yet again depends on the store and manager. There's a high turn over of employees with it being retail but with it being waitrose it's one of the better ones to work so there's quite a few applications for each job, more so than other places as it's preferable. When I finally got in I joined with 2 others. In total 28 people had applied and passed the situ test for our 3 roles. I'd go on side of not put into another job if you fail but could be called back if the person they pick fails to show up or is terrible.
Original post by eml1997
I've got my first shift at Waitrose in a couple days but I haven't been given much info about what's happening. All I've been given is my start date and I've seen my shift time from logging into my account. I'm guessing I just go in wearing a white shirt, black trousers, go to the welcome desk and tell them its my first day?

Before I did my first shift I called the branch and asked to speak to the duty manager as I had very little information given to me. I gave my uniform sizes then and discussed my first day.

From what I've heard from other partners, they just showed up in smart business wear on the first day and reported to the welcome desk where the duty manager dealt with them.

I hope you have a great first day, and enjoy your time as a partner.
Original post by 8472
Yet again depends on the store and manager. There's a high turn over of employees with it being retail but with it being waitrose it's one of the better ones to work so there's quite a few applications for each job, more so than other places as it's preferable. When I finally got in I joined with 2 others. In total 28 people had applied and passed the situ test for our 3 roles. I'd go on side of not put into another job if you fail but could be called back if the person they pick fails to show up or is terrible.

Hey I’m probably over complicating it but I just wanted clarify something, with regards to the rights to work/eligibility to work in the UK documents , do I just need to bring my passport??

I was born in the UK and I’m currently not studying if that helps. The checklist they’ve provided is a little confusing.

Thanks
Reply 979
Original post by AlphaHc
Hey I’m probably over complicating it but I just wanted clarify something, with regards to the rights to work/eligibility to work in the UK documents , do I just need to bring my passport??

I was born in the UK and I’m currently not studying if that helps. The checklist they’ve provided is a little confusing.

Thanks

British passport should be sufficient. You may need to provide your national insurance number and/or the official document it came with (card or paper)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending