loveleest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have an interview with KFC soon, and I wanted to know how it is like to work there and how to be successful during the KFC. It is a part time job so I will only be working for a couple of hours a day- Has anybody worked there/know anyone who worked there?
DH1'
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by loveleest)
I have an interview with KFC soon, and I wanted to know how it is like to work there and how to be successful during the KFC. It is a part time job so I will only be working for a couple of hours a day- Has anybody worked there/know anyone who worked there?
I work their for extra income on part-time hours. You'll recieve adequate training, and you'll either be put in the kitchen as a cook, in the middle of house where there's 4 stations(Chute, Burger, Fries and Sides), or at the front of house where you'd be on tills, one of the packers or on the drive-through, order taking/presenting(depending on whether your store has a DT ofcourse).

You can probably ask them where you'd most feel comfortable, i work in the middle of house therefore don't usually have contact with customers. Originally i was just training on the fries station, where i had to load and bag the fries, as well as load and carry the popcorn chicken to the chute and hash brown to the burger station when needed. If you work in the MOH, you are expected to know all the stations(just as you're more desirable in terms of flexibility when they sort the rota and when they send staff on breaks), right now i can do all expect Burgers, but i'll probably get trained to do that in due course.

I can also do presenting, which is basically just having to get the drinks, ice creams e.t.c. ready until the food meals are done for the customer, and then calling out their order, or confirming their order if on DT. No experience of packing or working on the till yet so can't give you any insight on that.

To be successfull, you just have to really do things fast, and like any job, do what they say even if you don't particularly like it(e.g. i hate when i get sent to the lobby and have to give it a quick clean to make sure customers are always eating in a clean space(this involves constantly taking the bins out and replacing as they get full quickly, cleaning the tables and sweeping the floors).

When i say fast, you really need to be on the pulse, e.g. the packers can't be waiting for you to load the fries and you need to make sure there is a constant flow, especially in the busy periods, so the packers aren't asking for them. With the chute and burgers, i think it's a case of practice makes perfect, you just have to remember what goes in each bucket, and how to make burgers and all the different wraps. You also need to stock up the chute, e.g. with 1 pieces of chicken, 2 hot wings, and all sizes of popcorn when you aren't packing the chicken order in the boxes and buckets. Basically always be doing something, managers will hate it if you're standing around doing nothing, if no customers at the front, then you can be cleaning trays or stocking up on items you're running low on e.g. regular drink cups or ketchup sachets. You also need to be conscious of how long certain items have been in the trays and when they need to be "wasted"(disposed of).

The sides station is the easiest, you just have to keep making gravy, corn and regular/large beans which is fairly simple. Just need to be mindful of when they are running out at the front, and make sure you prepare enough so it doesn't completely finish by the time you are making the next batch of sides. Very simple to do them, you'd pick it up in a couple days.

The worst part is closing down the shop, so if you are doing a closing shift, it takes ages to clean my store after the shop closes. There's so many trays, and depending on the shift runner you have, you need to make sure all the trays are spotless and then you have to sweep and mop the whole shop floor which takes a while. Usually 5-6 people who are on closes each day, and it takes around 2-3 hours to complete after the shop has closed.

You get paid weekly which is great and also free staff meals!

The staff are really friendly, and i've not really had to deal with rude customers yet, so that's a relief. If you've got any other specific questions, or would like clarification on something i've said, feel free to let me know and i'll do my best to help!
loveleest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by DH1')
I work their for extra income on part-time hours. You'll recieve adequate training, and you'll either be put in the kitchen as a cook, in the middle of house where there's 4 stations(Chute, Burger, Fries and Sides), or at the front of house where you'd be on tills, one of the packers or on the drive-through, order taking/presenting(depending on whether your store has a DT ofcourse).

You can probably ask them where you'd most feel comfortable, i work in the middle of house therefore don't usually have contact with customers. Originally i was just training on the fries station, where i had to load and bag the fries, as well as load and carry the popcorn chicken to the chute and hash brown to the burger station when needed. If you work in the MOH, you are expected to know all the stations(just as you're more desirable in terms of flexibility when they sort the rota and when they send staff on breaks), right now i can do all expect Burgers, but i'll probably get trained to do that in due course.

I can also do presenting, which is basically just having to get the drinks, ice creams e.t.c. ready until the food meals are done for the customer, and then calling out their order, or confirming their order if on DT. No experience of packing or working on the till yet so can't give you any insight on that.

To be successfull, you just have to really do things fast, and like any job, do what they say even if you don't particularly like it(e.g. i hate when i get sent to the lobby and have to give it a quick clean to make sure customers are always eating in a clean space(this involves constantly taking the bins out and replacing as they get full quickly, cleaning the tables and sweeping the floors).

When i say fast, you really need to be on the pulse, e.g. the packers can't be waiting for you to load the fries and you need to make sure there is a constant flow, especially in the busy periods, so the packers aren't asking for them. With the chute and burgers, i think it's a case of practice makes perfect, you just have to remember what goes in each bucket, and how to make burgers and all the different wraps. You also need to stock up the chute, e.g. with 1 pieces of chicken, 2 hot wings, and all sizes of popcorn when you aren't packing the chicken order in the boxes and buckets. Basically always be doing something, managers will hate it if you're standing around doing nothing, if no customers at the front, then you can be cleaning trays or stocking up on items you're running low on e.g. regular drink cups or ketchup sachets. You also need to be conscious of how long certain items have been in the trays and when they need to be "wasted"(disposed of).

The sides station is the easiest, you just have to keep making gravy, corn and regular/large beans which is fairly simple. Just need to be mindful of when they are running out at the front, and make sure you prepare enough so it doesn't completely finish by the time you are making the next batch of sides. Very simple to do them, you'd pick it up in a couple days.

The worst part is closing down the shop, so if you are doing a closing shift, it takes ages to clean my store after the shop closes. There's so many trays, and depending on the shift runner you have, you need to make sure all the trays are spotless and then you have to sweep and mop the whole shop floor which takes a while. Usually 5-6 people who are on closes each day, and it takes around 2-3 hours to complete after the shop has closed.

You get paid weekly which is great and also free staff meals!

The staff are really friendly, and i've not really had to deal with rude customers yet, so that's a relief. If you've got any other specific questions, or would like clarification on something i've said, feel free to let me know and i'll do my best to help!
So helpful, thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.53%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (12)
14.12%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
18.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.59%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
18.82%

Watched Threads