The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A2 F214/F215 exams June 2016

Scroll to see replies

What was the bacteria taking up genes answer?
Original post by RedDevil1997

i think i said it provides variation,so if it picks up an andvantageous allele, it can survive a change in environment.

Not 100%, but I think antibiotic resistance, and ability to take up new substrates. Ie, a different sugar for glycolysis. There are many other answer too
Original post by Avanpal
For the apoptosis question, I believe A to B was the formation of eyelids/ eyelids opening/ tissue holding eye lids being destroyed. From B to C, I was definitely the webbing between fingers and toes being destroyed. The cockroach was Negative (Photo)taxis. The question of bacteria taking up plasmids, was something along the lines of possibly antibiotic resistance and or taking up new substrates for respiration Do people agree with this? I found this paper annoying to answer, but quite fair. Grade boundaries will go up, maybe 63 A. Or am i being optimistic aha.

I got everyanswer you just mentioned. Hope it's 63. Lol. But I think it will be here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know where I can find an unofficial markscheme for this?
Original post by Allergy
Wasn't the question on mice, 'black mice are rare, a person want's to get a population of black mice only but only has two grey mice to start with'. Doesn't even make sense why would anyone want grey mice and plus grey was dominant to black.

grey mice are better at camouflaging
Original post by Arima
omg i got chi squared value wrong wtf that was the easiest mark on the paper LOL

but cheers for the mark scheme! ^_^

I got it right in the exam haha I just couldn't remember exact figure that's why I wrote ish next to it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lishakb97
grey mice are better at camouflaging

Didn't they want a population of only grey nice?
Original post by Anita234
These are all i can remember, sorry if some are wrong :

1) Carrying Capacity
2) Biotic factor : food availability ( the prey)
Aboitic : water availabilty
2) DNA, polypeptide, tertiary structure
3) Regarding the coppicing question :
I wrote for aesthetics : they can be made into furniture (idk)
it promotes biodiversity as it produces new habitats (ethical?)
4) Question regarding apoptosis
In A you can see the formation of Head and Thorax
In A-B you can see the formation of arms and legs
In B-C you can see the formation of fingers, toes, and ears.

5) Homeobox genes are found in animals , plants and fungi.
6) The mice question i dont remember much
7) The galapocas island question
the probability is 25 % as it asked for recessive sea salt water spray
It increases over time due to natural selection , where the plants with those alleles are basiacally more likely to survive than those that abosrb the misty water , therefore they more likely to pass genes to offspring , soon there is will be a genetic drift in where the recessive alleles will be more common in population.
Human activity on galapocos :
i wrote about pollution ( oil spill ) deforestation (loss of habitat and over fishing and hunting ( endangering the species )
Finding about the abundance of the species: use belt transects and quadrents, count how many and where they are founds for the two zones.
Goldern rice question : so weird since the answer was sort of in question itself ?
The maize plant probably produced the most b-caraotene since it has a different shaped enzyme which is more complementarty to shape of subtrate, different sequence of amino acids so different protein formed etc.

shows phototropism when shoot grows towards sunlight .
Gene sequencing : Step 3 should be between 1 and 2 and Transferase enzyme should be restrictive enzyme ?

Last question was aabout somatic and germ line gene therapy : I said somatic changes cell of individual but germ line changes sex cells so offspring also dont get disease.

The term used to describe what happens on the food chain : feeding ?
Hawk , since it was further up food chain and therefore had least energy since most were lost through respiration and waste.
Chimpanzee question , i thought it was natural selection since the question stated they were lighter therefore could get to the higher branches ?
why they were stronger muscles compared to humans ? becuase they use it more regularly and pretty much hang their weight on it , but humans don't ( i basically said, they exercise, but humans don't lol )

CNS vs Peripheral
Cns consists of brain and spinal cord - coordinates message
Peripheral involves all the neurones connecting brain and spinal cord to all parts of body.- transport message to all parts of body.

I put taxis down for the debetable question, but since we have a issue over the answer ignore it.

these all i can remeber please tell what you agree with and what are wrong .

Much appreciated

you know for the cns vs pns one; I thought the question asked to tell about effects on external environment. So I wrote things like PNS detects change in temp and hypothalamus in brain causes shivering/sweating, and how cns causes contraction of voluntary muscles in response to danger etc. I didn't think it was to compare them?
Didn't they want a population of only grey nice?

yeah
can someone tell me what the cns vs pns q was asking us to do? Thought it was to tell of their effect to environmental changes?!
Original post by mil88
Most of Jan 13 was filling in spaces and ticking boxes!!

No it will be lower because there were a lot of questions regarding application whereas Jan 13 was knowledge based so if you knew your content you were good
Original post by medprospects
No it will be lower because there were a lot of questions regarding application whereas Jan 13 was knowledge based so if you knew your content you were good

Yeah that's what I'm saying, it can't possibly be the same as Jan 13!
Original post by Hollyht
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466701171.732892.jpg here's some questions I missed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466703461.548204.jpg more questions think that's all now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nerdygeek101
you know for the cns vs pns one; I thought the question asked to tell about effects on external environment. So I wrote things like PNS detects change in temp and hypothalamus in brain causes shivering/sweating, and how cns causes contraction of voluntary muscles in response to danger etc. I didn't think it was to compare them?

that question was a pretty vague one... though it did say "you don't need to quote specific regions (+maybe their functions) in the brain, just the roles of PNS/CNS in responding to the environment

I don't think you'd get any marks - it's not really answering the question.

The marking points will probably be:

PNS involves all the neurones going into and coming out of the spinal cord and the brain ;

it carries impulses to the CNS via sensory neurones / detects stimuli ;

carries impulses from the CNS to effectors ;

CNS is made up of the brain and the spinal cord ;

CNS involved in processing information ;

PNS involved in escape reflex arcs, but CNS not ;
Ey, grade boundaries prediction?
Original post by kingaaran
I don't think you'd get any marks - it's not really answering the question.

The marking points will probably be:

PNS involves all the neurones going into and coming out of the spinal cord and the brain ;

it carries impulses to the CNS via sensory neurones / detects stimuli ;

carries impulses from the CNS to effectors ;

CNS is made up of the brain and the spinal cord ;

CNS involved in processing information ;

PNS involved in escape reflex arcs, but CNS not ;

those aren't roles in responding to environment?
their components of CNS. the q asked for the roles
Original post by sakuraton
Ey, grade boundaries prediction?

86 - full UMS

76 - A*

66 - A

56 - B

46 - C

36 - D

Posted from TSR Mobile
those aren't roles in responding to environment?
their components of CNS. the q asked for the roles

I think it is: 'processing information', 'detecting stimuli', 'effectors', 'reflexes'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest