The Student Room Group

Where to go now for insurance?

My insurance has dropped dramatically in the past two years, a few months ago I turned 21 and now my insurance has gone up ):

I've spoken to the company I've been with for the past two years about my renewal quote which is just over £1000, nothing has changed with regards to my personal details (no claims or anything) it's gone up mainly because the rates of my postcode have gone up.

I'm a bit stuck now, I only paid £560 last year so it's almost doubled. They have said If I can find a cheaper quote they would price match it but on the comparison websites most of them are coming up at £1000+ even with the black boxes too (I'm definitely not going back there though)

What providers can I try that aren't on the comparison websites? Tried direct line, not sure of the others?

Anybody else been in a similar situation that can offer any tips?
Reply 1
I always try comparethemarket, google compare, go compare and moneysupermaket. You will then realise the top 3 insurance quotes will appear near the top of every comparison website. The only ones i know that are not on comparison websites are direct line and Aviva. Im not sure why it has gone up though i sell insurance myself i know insurance premium tax has gone up but not by that much.
Tips
- find out the insurance companies of the other cars in ur household (if there is any) and use multicar discount to get ur premium cheaper.
- add another person whose experienced on ur policy this may also make it cheaper.
Reply 2
Thanks Foys88!

I've actually just tried Aviva now, it's coming up at £927 which I guess is better than a grand but not exactly by much ):
The guy I spoke to said most of the price increase was because of my postcode, I guess lots happened around here lately unfortunately, however I don't think it's exactly fair that I have to pay extra to cover other peoples mistakes ):

I haven't tried google compare yet, will give that try in the morning, also will try add my mum she's had her licence a lot of years now but she has no NCB as she's on a traders policy but I'll see if that can bring some of them down
Reply 3
Original post by NatashaLee
Thanks Foys88!

I've actually just tried Aviva now, it's coming up at £927 which I guess is better than a grand but not exactly by much ):
The guy I spoke to said most of the price increase was because of my postcode, I guess lots happened around here lately unfortunately, however I don't think it's exactly fair that I have to pay extra to cover other peoples mistakes ):

I haven't tried google compare yet, will give that try in the morning, also will try add my mum she's had her licence a lot of years now but she has no NCB as she's on a traders policy but I'll see if that can bring some of them down

NCB is definetely the best thing that will drive the insurance down. I always protect my ncb incase someone hits me.
Reply 4
Original post by Foys88
NCB is definetely the best thing that will drive the insurance down. I always protect my ncb incase someone hits me.

If someone hits you your ncb won't be effected anyway? :smile:
NatashaLee
x

Haven't seen you on here in aaaaaaages haha, remember me :biggrin: That's nuts that it's gone up so much!
Reply 6
Lol yes if its a non fault claim it wouldnt be affected.
Original post by Foys88

You would think wouldn't you. Your next premium will still go up simply because you made a claim. The fact it wasn't your fault doesn't make any difference.
Reply 8
Original post by WoodyMKC
Haven't seen you on here in aaaaaaages haha, remember me :biggrin: That's nuts that it's gone up so much!

Omg, hello! I remember you :smile:
I'm back at uni for final year now and it's just so crazy
How are you?

and I know, I expected it to go up due to the increase in tax but for it to almost double it's a bit annoying ):
Reply 9
Original post by Foys88

Not for me it seems ):
I'll of earned 3 years NCB now and obviously my age has gone up (I know I'm still classed as a young driver)

I've just been speaking to Aviva and even he can't believe it's gone up so much, the annoying thing is we're looking to move soon (well as soon as the house sells) I just wish we had of moved sooner

Currently the cheapest is a black box one at around £750 I'm hoping Endsleigh will price match it though so I can stay with them.
Original post by Foys88

No it isn't...
If your insurer recovers the cost from the TP at fault your ncb isn't effected but your premium will most likely go up.
How are you?

and I know, I expected it to go up due to the increase in tax but for it to almost double it's a bit annoying ):

Last year, always hectic :biggrin: How are you otherwise though?

I'm good thanks :redface: I've gotten into leasing cars now, what with the rise in insurance recently it's looking like I made the right choice tbh :lol: Driving a '15 plate Ford Fiesta Titanium now, beautiful car... I pay just over £200 a month all in - covers pretty much everything apart from fuel. Don't get to keep the car at the end of the lease but then I didn't pay anything upfront for it anyway, so I'm not losing out there and the £200 a month gets me insurance, tax, MOT, breakdown cover, major repairs, top of the range tyres/changes when appropriate... all on a brand new car... can't complain really :smile:

Yeah we noticed the prices dropping right down recently, but they seem to have rocketed all of a sudden this year. My sister is paying £130 a month on insurance on a 15 year old Mini! She's a new driver though.
My insurance has dropped dramatically in the past two years, a few months ago I turned 21 and now my insurance has gone up ):

I've spoken to the company I've been with for the past two years about my renewal quote which is just over £1000, nothing has changed with regards to my personal details (no claims or anything) it's gone up mainly because the rates of my postcode have gone up.

I'm a bit stuck now, I only paid £560 last year so it's almost doubled. They have said If I can find a cheaper quote they would price match it but on the comparison websites most of them are coming up at £1000+ even with the black boxes too (I'm definitely not going back there though)

What providers can I try that aren't on the comparison websites? Tried direct line, not sure of the others?

Anybody else been in a similar situation that can offer any tips?

As well as direct line, Aviva and chuurchill aren't on comparison sites.
Have you got parents on as named drivers? Play around with your named drivers as well. I found that having my dad as a named driver brought the price down, but having my mum on as well made it more expensive. Needless to say I didn't have my mum on there. So its worth trying things.
Try changing details such as where you keep the car at night, such as on the drive, on the road, in the garage etc.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Last year, always hectic :biggrin: How are you otherwise though?

I'm good thanks :redface: I've gotten into leasing cars now, what with the rise in insurance recently it's looking like I made the right choice tbh :lol: Driving a '15 plate Ford Fiesta Titanium now, beautiful car... I pay just over £200 a month all in - covers pretty much everything apart from fuel. Don't get to keep the car at the end of the lease but then I didn't pay anything upfront for it anyway, so I'm not losing out there and the £200 a month gets me insurance, tax, MOT, breakdown cover, major repairs, top of the range tyres/changes when appropriate... all on a brand new car... can't complain really :smile:

Yeah we noticed the prices dropping right down recently, but they seem to have rocketed all of a sudden this year. My sister is paying £130 a month on insurance on a 15 year old Mini! She's a new driver though.

Well take away the stress for uni, I'm good thank you :smile:

That sounds nice! You got any pictures?
I've changed my car too, I've got a Vauxhall adam , I do love it but I wish I got a slightly less popular colour (It's white, massive pain to keep clean too) I'm paying £275 a month but it's on hire purchase. Your sounds like a good deal, I've just paid my tax (although I decided to do it monthly so it's actually not that much) my insurance is due Christmas eve then my service is due in January - I just don't have a good time with cars at this time of the year.

Prices are crazy aren't they, I thought by turning 21 this year though and obviously my extra year's experience and NCB It might of not gone up too much..but hey ho
Original post by Emma:-)
As well as direct line, Aviva and chuurchill aren't on comparison sites.
Have you got parents on as named drivers? Play around with your named drivers as well. I found that having my dad as a named driver brought the price down, but having my mum on as well made it more expensive. Needless to say I didn't have my mum on there. So its worth trying things.
Try changing details such as where you keep the car at night, such as on the drive, on the road, in the garage etc.

Thanks! Haven't tried Churchill yet so will give that a go
I haven't tried adding anyone yet, I need to try add my mum but she can't remember when she got her licence haha so need to find that out first. Unfortunately my step dad has points on his licence so I think I'm best off avoiding putting him on aha, going to do some more quotes tomorrow and hope for a miracle haha
How are you?

Going through the main comparison sites are great and occasionally you do get the odd quote that you quite like. However, I would recommend a 'non-mainstream' comparison site; Quotezone. For some reason they're results are significantly cheaper than the others I have found. Obviously that's not guaranteed but do try, at least it's another option :smile:
Well take away the stress for uni, I'm good thank you :smile:

That sounds nice! You got any pictures?
I've changed my car too, I've got a Vauxhall adam , I do love it but I wish I got a slightly less popular colour (It's white, massive pain to keep clean too) I'm paying £275 a month but it's on hire purchase. Your sounds like a good deal, I've just paid my tax (although I decided to do it monthly so it's actually not that much) my insurance is due Christmas eve then my service is due in January - I just don't have a good time with cars at this time of the year.

Prices are crazy aren't they, I thought by turning 21 this year though and obviously my extra year's experience and NCB It might of not gone up too much..but hey ho

Good :redface: You look like you've lost weight in your avatar :smile: Not that you were anywhere near being close to overweight last time we spoke, just something I noticed :redface:

I've not taken any pics of it actually, I guess mostly because I know my sad neighbours will be looking through their net curtains saying "Look at that bellend taking photos oh his car" :lol: I was gonna go for white originally, started seeing loads of them about though so I thought meh, maybe not, I'll go for black... then I saw a red one and instantly thought "Yes, that's the colour I want!" :biggrin: Had to wait 3 extra weeks to get it delivered compared to what I'd have waited for a white, black or silver but it was worth the wait, looks great in red! Never looks dirty either, hardly ever clean the paintwork tbh, just let the rain wash it off and it stays decent looking.
Ohhh cool, I like the Adams :redface: I was originally gonna go for a Corsa actually as I love the new models, but then Corsas have a chavvy reputation and as someone who my neighbours described to my mum as "better than all the other little ****s around here" when I was growing up I guess I have a reputation to protect :u: :rofl:

Yeah it's nuts, when I first started my lease I was thinking "Am I really getting a good deal here?" but the way things are now and the amount it'd cost to buy a car and keep it running, I know I am :smile: Plus where I'm not financially invested in the car I've got my peace of mind, if it gets damaged or scratched then, bigger picture, I don't really care :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks! Haven't tried Churchill yet so will give that a go
I haven't tried adding anyone yet, I need to try add my mum but she can't remember when she got her licence haha so need to find that out first. Unfortunately my step dad has points on his licence so I think I'm best off avoiding putting him on aha, going to do some more quotes tomorrow and hope for a miracle haha

Most companies for named drivers just ask how many year they have had their licence, and the top option on the drop down list is usually "9+ years" so with most companies that's all you need to do. So that should save you the hassle on finding out those details from your mum, and it could potentially save you a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest