The Student Room Group

What is better 3 AS levels or 4?

I'm currently doing biology, maths and chemistry at AS. However, I was thinking of doing further maths as an AS too. I already know half the course so I think it would be okay. What do you think? 4 AS levels or 3 ?
Original post by RandomStudent420
I'm currently doing biology, maths and chemistry at AS. However, I was thinking of doing further maths as an AS too. I already know half the course so I think it would be okay. What do you think? 4 AS levels or 3 ?

I dropped my fourth AS (English Lit) today, but don't let that put you off doing another one!

You by no means need a fourth one to get into most unis, and the 3 you're doing already are quite tough ones! That said, if you feel you're up to the challenge then go for it!
Reply 2

The vast majority of people do 4 AS levels and finish 3 as A-levels.

It's the best way, because if you decide that Biology or Chemistry isn't for you after the first year, then you've got more options :h: I know people that wanted to do nothing other than biology, but ended up dropping that over their 'reserve subject'.
Original post by Alexion
The vast majority of people do 4 AS levels and finish 3 as A-levels.

It's the best way, because if you decide that Biology or Chemistry isn't for you after the first year, then you've got more options :h: I know people that wanted to do nothing other than biology, but ended up dropping that over their 'reserve subject'.

Im redoing the year :P
Reply 4
Im redoing the year :P

Ah, I see. In which case, if you're sure that you just want to do those, there isn't a lot of point piling on any additional pressure...
Original post by Alexion
Ah, I see. In which case, if you're sure that you just want to do those, there isn't a lot of point piling on any additional pressure...

Aaaah okay, i guess ill stick with 3 :smile:
Reply 6
Aaaah okay, i guess ill stick with 3 :smile:

Depends whether you think you can take it :h:

On the one hand, a FM AS level would look very good on an application, but on the other, AAA looks much better than ABBB (for example)...
Original post by Alexion
Depends whether you think you can take it :h:

On the one hand, a FM AS level would look very good on an application, but on the other, AAA looks much better than ABBB (for example)...

mhm maybe ill just stick with three seems reasonable

Quick Reply

Latest