Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have english at king's college as my firm and I need ABB in my A levels. I was recently browsing the kcl website and noticed that for comparative literature, the standard offer is BBC.. I've got an insurance (BBB Queen Mary) but I was wondering - if I don't meet ABB, is there any chance that I could get onto comparative literature before my insurance - there are places for the course in ucas extra if that's any indication..
    ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    There is always a chance - especially if you contact kings on results day and pursuade them that you REALLY want to study there etc etc etc. Looking at the grades I'd say it's a pretty good chance - I would imagine that Kings fills almost all of the places on the comparative lit course from english applicants who missed their offers
    Thankyou ! That's reassuring Though plan a is of course to get ABB in the first place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternalsunshine)
    Thankyou ! That's reassuring Though plan a is of course to get ABB in the first place!
    Don't you have to have a foreign language A level to get on the comparative lit course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Don't you have to have a foreign language A level to get on the comparative lit course?

Well, it says this "English at A level and language according to chosen option." - so it's possible that's not necessary - also, for the IB requirement it doesn't specify that you need HL language which makes me think that I could possibly get away with it.. . There are a lot of english options though which makes me think it's possible to do this in english :

New York & Los Angeles in Text, Image and Film
    Visual Culture: An Introduction
    19th Century American Literature: 1800-1850
    19th Century American Literature: 1850-1900
    20th Century Postwar American Fiction
    American Fiction 1900-1945: Realisms and Modernisms
    Gender and Identity: American Women's Autobiography
    Shadows of enlightenment
    Troubling desires

And lots more..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternalsunshine)
    Well, it says this "English at A level and language according to chosen option." - so it's possible that's not necessary - also, for the IB requirement it doesn't specify that you need HL language which makes me think that I could possibly get away with it.. . There are a lot of english options though which makes me think it's possible to do this in english :

New York & Los Angeles in Text, Image and Film
    Visual Culture: An Introduction
    19th Century American Literature: 1800-1850
    19th Century American Literature: 1850-1900
    20th Century Postwar American Fiction
    American Fiction 1900-1945: Realisms and Modernisms
    Gender and Identity: American Women's Autobiography
    Shadows of enlightenment
    Troubling desires

And lots more..
    That sounds really interesting No Chaucer!

ReputationRep:
    Chaucer was the bane of my life! I studied the Miller's Tale at A Level. God help those who have to translate medivel english

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    Chaucer was the bane of my life! I studied the Miller's Tale at A Level. God help those who have to translate medivel english
    That's the one main part of an English degree that I'm dreading. Which is why I hoping to go somewhere with no Chaucer and lots of options so I can pick the fun stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    That's the one main part of an English degree that I'm dreading. Which is why I hoping to go somewhere with no Chaucer and lots of options so I can pick the fun stuff

Once i understood Chaucer, i really enjoyed it. Its quite funny and rude in parts. I only did the prologues though. I always enjoyed english.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.