If I don't meet my firm offer

Watch
This discussion is closed.
eternalsunshine
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I have english at king's college as my firm and I need ABB in my A levels. I was recently browsing the kcl website and noticed that for comparative literature, the standard offer is BBC.. I've got an insurance (BBB Queen Mary) but I was wondering - if I don't meet ABB, is there any chance that I could get onto comparative literature before my insurance - there are places for the course in ucas extra if that's any indication..
?
eternalsunshine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
There is always a chance - especially if you contact kings on results day and pursuade them that you REALLY want to study there etc etc etc. Looking at the grades I'd say it's a pretty good chance - I would imagine that Kings fills almost all of the places on the comparative lit course from english applicants who missed their offers
Thankyou ! That's reassuring Though plan a is of course to get ABB in the first place!
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by eternalsunshine)
Thankyou ! That's reassuring Though plan a is of course to get ABB in the first place!
Don't you have to have a foreign language A level to get on the comparative lit course?
eternalsunshine
Rep:
?
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Don't you have to have a foreign language A level to get on the comparative lit course?

Well, it says this "English at A level and language according to chosen option." - so it's possible that's not necessary - also, for the IB requirement it doesn't specify that you need HL language which makes me think that I could possibly get away with it.. . There are a lot of english options though which makes me think it's possible to do this in english :

New York & Los Angeles in Text, Image and Film
Visual Culture: An Introduction
19th Century American Literature: 1800-1850
19th Century American Literature: 1850-1900
20th Century Postwar American Fiction
American Fiction 1900-1945: Realisms and Modernisms
Gender and Identity: American Women's Autobiography
Shadows of enlightenment
Troubling desires

And lots more..
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by eternalsunshine)
Well, it says this "English at A level and language according to chosen option." - so it's possible that's not necessary - also, for the IB requirement it doesn't specify that you need HL language which makes me think that I could possibly get away with it.. . There are a lot of english options though which makes me think it's possible to do this in english :

New York & Los Angeles in Text, Image and Film
Visual Culture: An Introduction
19th Century American Literature: 1800-1850
19th Century American Literature: 1850-1900
20th Century Postwar American Fiction
American Fiction 1900-1945: Realisms and Modernisms
Gender and Identity: American Women's Autobiography
Shadows of enlightenment
Troubling desires

And lots more..
That sounds really interesting No Chaucer!
~ o ~
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Chaucer was the bane of my life! I studied the Miller's Tale at A Level. God help those who have to translate medivel english
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
Chaucer was the bane of my life! I studied the Miller's Tale at A Level. God help those who have to translate medivel english
That's the one main part of an English degree that I'm dreading. Which is why I hoping to go somewhere with no Chaucer and lots of options so I can pick the fun stuff
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
That's the one main part of an English degree that I'm dreading. Which is why I hoping to go somewhere with no Chaucer and lots of options so I can pick the fun stuff

Once i understood Chaucer, i really enjoyed it. Its quite funny and rude in parts. I only did the prologues though. I always enjoyed english.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (117)
55.19%
Yes, but I want to swap them (16)
7.55%
No, but I know who I want to choose (19)
8.96%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (50)
23.58%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (10)
4.72%

Watched Threads