Is SOAS worth itWatch
More about SOAS University of London
I am applying for politics and international relations and I was wondering if the course in politics and IR was good at SOAS. If someone could tell me a bit more about it, it would be great.
Politics & IR is one of more popular and best known programmes we have! in a recent survey, nearly 100% of our students are satisfied with the overall quality of teaching, 98% of our students agreed that lecturers are good at explaining things and 95% of our students think it is intellectually stimulating. So what does this mean? This means you'll be getting the 4th best education for Politics and IR in the UK and the 35th best education for Politics and IR in the world! But... we don't like to brag ;-) We just like to dance about it Lol.
With a degree in Politics and IR, you'll leave here with the ability to challenge perspectives in a complex world. By virtue of studying at SOAS, you'll learn and understand politics and relations, and cultures of 75% of the world. You'll learn the other 25% of the world by virtue of living in London, arguably the capital of the western world!
What you will be able to do when you leave that no other university can claim... is that you'll be able to pursue a number of distinct specialism! As you continue to progress at SOAS, you'll be given a taste of all sorts and different kinds of politics, governance, sociology, economics modules and as grow and figure out what you would like to specialise in, or which region you would like to focus on, you'll be able to focus and shape your degree towards it! You'll leave here knowing the relationship, law, and the role of politics not just in the UK but from a different region. That's knowledge of two different regions for the price of one!
Be prepared to indulge yourself into many different topics covering everything from gender, political violence, security, transitional justice, multiculturalism, human rights, comparative political economy, global power relations, migration and many more. This is achieved through a variety of ways including the study of world history and through the study of the roles of culture, identity and ideas in world politics. Students finish the degree equipped with the conceptual tools and theoretical frameworks to understand contemporary world events.
The great thing about SOAS is that you can learn as much outside the classroom as you can in it. There's a variety of different societies you can join and the lecturers are always bringing in guest speakers to speak to the university.
Phew... that was a mouthful! There's so much information I could say but we could be here all day!
Do you have any specific questions for me?
Is there a specific region you would like to specialise in?
If you need anything, never hesitate to contact me!
Hey there! I'm a first year IR student and I'd love to tell you about my experience and why I chose SOAS over other universities.
The beauty of learning about International Relations at a uni like soas is that it truly does open your eyes and provide you with a global perspective of politics and international relations, rather than focusing on your typical eurocentric view of politics and how the world works. SOAS is really an open minded place, which works to challenge your views and makes you honestly question a lot of things. I've just finished my first term and honestly, I can tell you, I enjoy my course so much. The lecturers are wonderful, they're funny, clever, and so supportive - the tutor's are amazingly helpful and so friendly. At SOAS you'll encounter people from across the world and genuinely I can't complain about my course. For the first term we focus on theories of IR, and then in our second term we look at concepts and cases, both which combine to give you a great overall understanding of politics and IR. Furthermore, you can choose to do a course in global history which means that when you assess or look at IR matters, you're given a global viewpoint!
I hope this helps! If you want to know anymore, feel free to message me!
I am a French student from Sciences Po, considering studying at SOAS in order to get an in-depth expertise on Asia and eventually doing a PHD in order to work in an NGO, an OI, or in education. Do you think that SOAS would be suited for that ? How good is research there ? I read a lot of different opinions on SOAS and do not really know what to think about it.