?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
B897 - Right to End Life Bill 2015, The Hon. Nigel Farage MEP

Right to End Life Bill 2015

A
BILL
TO

Legislate on people wishing to end their own lives

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Interpretation

(1) Terminal illness shall refer to a disease that cannot be treated no cured and is expected to result in a person's death within the next 5 years.
(2) Healthcare professional shall refer to a person registered on the General Medical Council register.
(3) Life sentence shall refer to a person who has been sentenced to a sentence in prison that when added onto the person's age will be above the life expectancy for that person.

2 Death

(1) The following people shall have the right to decide to end their life;
a. People with a terminal illness
b. Any person sentenced to life sentence
c. A person who has committed rape
d. A person who has committed murder
(2) The process of ending life will be committed by;
a. orally ingesting an antiemetic drug
b. orally ingesting an overdose of powdered penotbarbinal dissolved in a drink an hour later
c. breathing in helium
(3) All people must be of a mental capacity judged fit to make a decision to end their life by a medical professional.

3 Assisting Death

(1) All death will be administered inside a hospital with medical professionals present.
(2) People choosing to die must play an active part in administering the drug;
a. active part is interpreted to mean swallowing the drink without assistance.
b. injections of any kind are prohibited.

4 Qualification

(1) The person must be over the age of 18
(2) The person must be a British citizen

4 Extent,commencement and short title

(1) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.
(2) This Act comes into force on the day on which this Act is passed.
(4) This Act may be cited as the Life Act 2015

1. This act allows people who have life sentences or have committed some crimes to optionally end their life.
2. This bill legalises euthanasia for British citizens in the UK.
3. The bill is restricted to British citizens to prevent the phenomenon of suicide tourism that exists in Switzerland.

Notes and Costing
1. This act allows people who have life sentences or have committed some crimes to optionally end their life.
2. This bill legalises euthanasia for British citizens in the UK.
3. The bill is restricted to British citizens to prevent the phenomenon of suicide tourism that exists in Switzerland.

1. The of this bill will be negligible; Dignitas in Switzerland charges £3200 for a person to send their life.
username1899909
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay , purely because of how the bill is written
hollyt93
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree with those who are suffering from incurable illnesses being able to choose to end their lives in a dignified manner, but allowing criminals to end their lives seems absurd! Why should someone who has murdered an innocent person be allowed to say their goodbyes and end their lives with dignity? They should have to suffer in prison for the rest of their lives.

But yes I do agree with euthanasia for terminally ill people.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Whilst I support Euthanasia I cannot support this bill as it allows British Citizens to end their life even though they are physically healthy (i.e the Criminals).

Again, is this bill by the honourable member Nigel Farage MEP, or meant to be submitted on the behalf of his party?
Unown Uzer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
Whilst I support Euthanasia I cannot support this bill as it allows British Citizens to end their life even though they are physically healthy (i.e the Criminals).

Again, is this bill by the honourable member Nigel Farage MEP, or meant to be submitted on the behalf of his party?
I believe that those who wish to commit suicide should be allowed to, and euthanasia allows people to take their lives without affecting the general public. This is better than suicide methods like jumping in front of trains, as that causes massive delays, wastes people's time, reduces productivity, and costs train companies money. People who wish to commit suicide by euthanasia would need to consult a psychiatrist first, and if their mental suffering does not end, they should have the right to end their suffering by ending their lives, with the consent of two psychiatrists. This would only apply to British law-abiding citizens, as criminals should have rights like the right to suicide taken away from them when they are imprisoned.
SakuraCayla
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Abstain, we have a debate on this ongoing, and I feel it is counter-productive to put legislation to the House on the subject currently under debate.

I also have some disagreements with the bill overall, but would abstain because of the reason I mentioned above.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Unown Uzer)
I believe that those who wish to commit suicide should be allowed to, and euthanasia allows people to take their lives without affecting the general public. This is better than suicide methods like jumping in front of trains, as that causes massive delays, wastes people's time, reduces productivity, and costs train companies money. People who wish to commit suicide by euthanasia would need to consult a psychiatrist first, and if their mental suffering does not end, they should have the right to end their suffering by ending their lives, with the consent of two psychiatrists. This would only apply to British law-abiding citizens, as criminals should have rights like the right to suicide taken away from them when they are imprisoned.
So you're now endorsing suicide?

You also do realise this bill allows Criminals to end their life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unown Uzer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
So you're now endorsing suicide?

You also do realise this bill allows Criminals to end their life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I may have slight disagreements with this bill, but I support most of it. I may request a few changes for a second reading.
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's an abstain from me. While I agree wholeheartedly with euthanasia, I definitely don't agree with allowing criminals to end their lives, and I'm also concerned about the lack of provision to prevent people being forced into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
PetrosAC This was submitted under the UKIP banner after no one raised objection in the private forum since it was first posted three weeks ago.

This bill was written to legalise euthanasia, and introduce the optional death penalty where people on life sentences for crimes can choose if the death penalty is suitable; it removes the moral argument of the death sentence because the state will not be killing people, and only guilty people would choose to die. If Britain has not made attempted suicide illegal I think there should be allowances to allow healthy individuals of sound mental capacity to end their lives when in extreme situations.
United1892
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
While I support Euthanasia, this ignores the paperwork needed to validate consent. I also don't see why rapists are eligible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As you will have gathered from my contribution to the debate on euthanasia, a Nay from me.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
*Jeers from somewhere on the Tory benches.*

Nay. A very disappointing bill.
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, it will make some room in prison and we'll save money as a result.
demx9
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
UKIP supporting euthanasia ? Or a sneaky way to introduce voluntary capital punishment haha

I don't support allowing criminals commit suicide
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't see the point in 4(2), but otherwise I see no reason to reject this.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Unown Uzer)
Would it be OK if they take a pill themselves?
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
This bill was written to legalise euthanasia, and introduce the optional death penalty where people on life sentences for crimes can choose if the death penalty is suitable; it removes the moral argument of the death sentence because the state will not be killing people, and only guilty people would choose to die. If Britain has not made attempted suicide illegal I think there should be allowances to allow healthy individuals of sound mental capacity to end their lives when in extreme situations.
Whilst I'd agree with your bill, the bolded part is simply not true. People commit suicide for all sorts of reasons. Feeling that their reputation would be damaged for life can be one.
Imperion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is quite dodgy, would rather abstain.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads