A2 BiologyEcology module query Watch

parawitch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, my school is holding a residential field trip for 5 school days to teach us the ecology module of OCR biology in a practical way and they will not be covering the module in normal lessons. However, the trip is £200 and I feel as if I would get behind on my other subjects if I was to go (and be very cold and wet). I am also somebody who learns more efficiently by taking notes and understanding concepts from the textbook so am not sure if the practical element of teaching would benefit me much.
Was anybody able to learn the ecology module independently/ without practical work and get a good grade? Also, were the concepts discussed in the module hard to grasp?
Thank you for all of your help.
mizzyportia
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi I went to a 5 school day residential trip to Wales for my ecology module, learning the ecology module wasn't the main focus for us but we actually carried out all 3 practicals whilst we where there, the quantitative, qualitative and evaluative tasks, for me it was £330 I wasn't looking forward to it at all and it was ridiculously expensive but in the end it was really enjoyable and its a great feeling not to worry about OCR Biology practicals.
It wasn't too bad to catch in my subjects, I do Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A2. is your trip to just learn the ecology module or carry out the practical?
parawitch
Rep:
?
(Original post by mizzyportia)
Hi I went to a 5 school day residential trip to Wales for my ecology module, learning the ecology module wasn't the main focus for us but we actually carried out all 3 practicals whilst we where there, the quantitative, qualitative and evaluative tasks, for me it was £330 I wasn't looking forward to it at all and it was ridiculously expensive but in the end it was really enjoyable and its a great feeling not to worry about OCR Biology practicals.
It wasn't too bad to catch in my subjects, I do Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A2. is your trip to just learn the ecology module or carry out the practical?
Hi, thanks for your help. The trip has just been arranged for us to learn the module. Did you find the module itself difficult to learn from the book or is it essential to carry out practicals to get an overall A grade? Thanks
Excuse Me!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by parawitch)
Hi, my school is holding a residential field trip for 5 school days to teach us the ecology module of OCR biology in a practical way and they will not be covering the module in normal lessons. However, the trip is £200 and I feel as if I would get behind on my other subjects if I was to go (and be very cold and wet). I am also somebody who learns more efficiently by taking notes and understanding concepts from the textbook so am not sure if the practical element of teaching would benefit me much.
Was anybody able to learn the ecology module independently/ without practical work and get a good grade? Also, were the concepts discussed in the module hard to grasp?
Thank you for all of your help.
Your investigation will be pretty much impossible to do without it.

You need to learn all the techniques so you can talk about them in the coursework also, you need to know the different techniques for the exam.

You'll need a day for the preliminary investigation and a day for the real investigation with al the equipments you need which would be very difficult to coordinate at college.

I missed Maths and English lessons but caught up quickly enough. Just speak to your teacher; they'll be understanding.
bluemadhatter
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We had to do this a couple weeks ago but for coursework (20%) and not for a module and we missed like 4 days? The main motive for counting plants in the cold and rain was getting our A/A* at the end of it even thoough the coursework is pain now You are also lucky that is residential, we had to take the coach every morning and we'd get home at like 6ish >.>
parawitch
Rep:
?
(Original post by Excuse Me!)
Your investigation will be pretty much impossible to do without it.

You need to learn all the techniques so you can talk about them in the coursework also, you need to know the different techniques for the exam.

You'll need a day for the preliminary investigation and a day for the real investigation with al the equipments you need which would be very difficult to coordinate at college.

I missed Maths and English lessons but caught up quickly enough. Just speak to your teacher; they'll be understanding.
Hi sorry I think I may have made myself unclear. Our trip isn't for coursework or anything. It has been arranged just for us to learn the ecosystems module of OCR from the book for the normal exam. Do you reckon that this is possible with self study / maybe a tutor instead of going on the residential? Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish