How do you draw the structure of Al3O6?

Watch
cyril1448
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys, just preparing my interview at Cambridge and suddenly this question comes into my eye. Any ideas?

Any help truly appreciated.
Cheers
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cyril1448)
Hi guys, just preparing my interview at Cambridge and suddenly this question comes into my eye. Any ideas?

Any help truly appreciated.
Cheers
I don't believe that this compound exists!
sabi599
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's Al2O3. Haven't heard of what you said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
JennieRDS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I saw this question too while preparing for my Oxford interview on Monday. I don't think they would expect you to actually come up with an answer.
I looked at the valencies and then covered an A4 page with scribbled possible structures but couldn't find anything that worked. Eventually I decided to look at the spectroscopic notation and the possibility of half-filled orbitals. Then I thought about dative bonding and drew some lovely Lewis dot diagrams but to no avail. I also considered shapes of polyatomic ions (although I wouldn't know how to do this since it is not a single atom of Al or O). I think if you do that much they should be satisfied. Anything else you thought of?
They really just want you to demonstrate how you might go about answering the question and most of the time I don't think they care about the actual answer.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JennieRDS)
I saw this question too while preparing for my Oxford interview on Monday. I don't think they would expect you to actually come up with an answer.
I looked at the valencies and then covered an A4 page with scribbled possible structures but couldn't find anything that worked. Eventually I decided to look at the spectroscopic notation and the possibility of half-filled orbitals. Then I thought about dative bonding and drew some lovely Lewis dot diagrams but to no avail. I also considered shapes of polyatomic ions (although I wouldn't know how to do this since it is not a single atom of Al or O). I think if you do that much they should be satisfied. Anything else you thought of?
They really just want you to demonstrate how you might go about answering the question and most of the time I don't think they care about the actual answer.
You could just about argue a mixed ionic structure containing a ratio of three aluminium ions to four oxide ions and one peroxide ion. ...

EDIT

With a little research the molecule does exist and has a hexagonal arrangement of alternating aluminium and oxygen atoms (like benzene) with three more oxygen atoms attached to the aluminium atoms on the outside of the hexagon. It's one of a whole series of aluminium-oxygen cluster compounds.

Ref: http://www.researchgate.net/publicat...Al3O8_Clusters
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (52)
40%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
17.69%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
4.62%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (11)
8.46%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (13)
10%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (12)
9.23%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
10%

Watched Threads