Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mammalian Physiology And Behaviour watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    I always forget about UMS marks too! I been getting 50 - 55 type marks for Microbiology and Biotechnology, and that may well be a B or an A even this year! Hopefully the paper for MB isn't too hard, but I don't want it to be too easy as UMS will be less generous!

Does anyone have the UMS raw conversion for OCR Foundation Bio January 2003, just out of interest as I remember I found it really easy and only got a C. Strange...
    Foundation Jan 2003 48/60 = A
    Not moved up or down.

ReputationRep:
    Really, well that is suprising! I must have just been ****! lol!

ReputationRep:
    well it is a tough topic. Probably the hardest to learn, but maybe not the hardest in an exam paper.

People argue Microbiology is tougher, but if u do a direct comparison, there's actually more contents, processes and facts in the Mammalian Phys. book. It's either more content with a hard paper, or less with a very hard paper .......or sometimes OCR mess up in a good way and give u an easy paper (rare though)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'll agree with you on that one. I think that there is so much to remember on MP. But the good thing about it is that you aren't required to apply much of what you know, just regurgitate it which suits me just fine. But then central concepts and unifying concepts, you need to be able to apply what you have learnt, and , well that's a bit more tricky. I've just been scraping A's on these two papers, (according to my teacher's ,marking) but the other one seems to be going fine. Now let's just hope that I haven't jinxed myself and fail miserably in the real thing

ReputationRep:
    Unifying Concepts, what are u revising/preparing for specifically?

ReputationRep:
    Damn, just trying some unifying concepts past papers this morning. I think I need to do some hardcore revision for this one.

How exactly does UMS work? When I've had papers back after they've been marked the x/90 is always the same as the x/90 on my results slip, which then worked out as a % gives me my grade (usual 60, 70, 80% grade boundaries). If the results are adjusted, when do they do this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingpong)
    Damn, just trying some unifying concepts past papers this morning. I think I need to do some hardcore revision for this one.

How exactly does UMS work? When I've had papers back after they've been marked the x/90 is always the same as the x/90 on my results slip, which then worked out as a % gives me my grade (usual 60, 70, 80% grade boundaries). If the results are adjusted, when do they do this?
    I think the unifying concepts papers are marked out of sixty, and whatever you get you double. So if you got 47/60 it would be 94/120 UMS which is an A most papers. However I have seen some instances where the UMS mark for an A is 88/120, 96/120 or 89/120. So that means that the minimum raw mark that you can get for an A would be 44/60 (73%) so that's not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adrian)
    I think the unifying concepts papers are marked out of sixty, and whatever you get you double. So if you got 47/60 it would be 94/120 UMS which is an A most papers. However I have seen some instances where the UMS mark for an A is 88/120, 96/120 or 89/120. So that means that the minimum raw mark that you can get for an A would be 44/60 (73%) so that's not too bad.
    no silly, the unifying concepts mark is 60 combined with the practical and coursework which also adds up to 60 giving 120 marks.

ReputationRep:
    Check out question 3 on the specimin.

Is it just me or that a ***** of a question?

ReputationRep:
    Check out question 3 on the specimin.

Is it just me or that a ***** of a question?
    aint tried the spec yet, saving it for the day before the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)
    aint tried the spec yet, saving it for the day before the exam.
    It's a bit of a bugger, same as the specimin UC.

I wish MP was before UC. :<

ReputationRep:

same ere, UC shouldnt actually be crammed in with all this mess

ReputationRep:

same ere, UC shouldnt really be crammed in with all this mess, but if u think about the positive side, it means u can revise more for MP which is worth more marks

ReputationRep:
    I did the MP paper last year and found it ok. Unifying concepts was ok last year too.

ReputationRep:
    OMG!!! MP Jan 2004 is IMPOSSIBLE!!!! IT IS AS OF YET, THE HARDEST PAPER I'VE DONE!!!! I RAN OUT OF TIME TOO :confused:

THE PAPER IS COMPROMISED OF ALOT OF LONGER ANSWERS, READING MATERIAL, AND ANALYSING, WHICH REALLY KILLS ALOT OF TIME!!! THE A GRADE IS 68/90 WHICH IS PRETTY MUCH 80% I JUST DONT BELIEVE THAT!!!!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.