Turn on thread page Beta

Girlfriends and and going away to university watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok I know it's still quite a time away, but I'm getting pretty worried about leaving my gf when I go to uni. Anyone else in the same position? Has anyone else been through this before? Are there any words of wisdom anyone can give about this? She's going to Cardiff and (if I get my grades!) i'll be going to Cambridge, so thats quite a distance and I think the travel links aren't great either. Not good. So yeah, I dunno what to do.

ReputationRep:
    If you really really love her then you will find a way to make it work. I mean what if 3 years in a life time. I am lucky me and my boyfriend are going to the same uni. Talk to her about you worries I am sure you can make it work.

ReputationRep:
    Almost exactly the same distance as me and my bf. We are still together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoffender)
    Ok I know it's still quite a time away, but I'm getting pretty worried about leaving my gf when I go to uni. Anyone else in the same position? Has anyone else been through this before? Are there any words of wisdom anyone can give about this? She's going to Cardiff and (if I get my grades!) i'll be going to Cambridge, so thats quite a distance and I think the travel links aren't great either. Not good. So yeah, I dunno what to do.
    My g/f is at uni and I have to travel to see her and she travels to see me. It will be fine, just do a rotation every week or so, you know like she sees you on week 1 you see her on week 2 etc, relax it not as bad as you think...

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I started going out 2 weeks before he started at Warwick Uni, and that was 3 years ago (he was 19, I was 15).. it has worked fine. If you are determined, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    my bfs going to lancaster, i'm going to dundee- don't know whether it will work but we'll give it a try

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation, and will be leaving my boyfriend of two and a half years back home in Hertfordshire when I go off to Bristol (grades-permitting also!) in September. I got a lot of words of wisdom that really helped when I posted a similar thread a while back. Check it out at http://www.uk-learning.net/t40339.html. There's also some really inspiring stories at http://www.uk-learning.net/t45147.html.

If she's worth fighting for, don't give up without a struggle. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    What about if he's in Brighton and you're going to Durham....how the hell are you supposed to make that work?

ReputationRep:
    If you want it to work, I'm sure it will mate. Nothing to worry about.
    Oh yeah, off topic, but well done on getting into Cambridge. What course are you planning on?

ReputationRep:
    well, me and my girlfriend split up a few weeks ago - i think her excuse was something about the exam revision :confused: , and mine was just not giving her time (ironic, i know!). But recently we have been sorta flirting with each other again, and I cant help but touch her in a friendly gesture way. I am gonna contain myself not to go back out with her - coz unis coming.

Basically my advice for u is to just stay together, then see how it goes. Dont bother just predicting what will happen, just go with the flow (e.g. if u dont wanna call her everyday from cambridge, dont bother)

ReputationRep:
    Pffft, my girlfriend is a transatlantic flight of 7.5 hrs, internal flight of 1.5 hrs, and drive of 3 hrs away (Illinois, USA). Needless to say, she's a long way off. Hopefully she'll be coming over for a couple weeks end of August.

ReputationRep:
    IMO, it's going to be difficult. I'm not saying it can't, or won't work, but it is a lot harder than you might think. My boyfriend and i broke up a couple of weeks ago because the whole distance thing became too much of an issue - i'm at UEA, he's at Exeter, 8 hour door to door journey. You need to be aware that you have to make time to talk to each other, properly, because otherwise you'll find yourself growing apart.

It's not all that bad though - she'll have reading week, so she can come and visit, and if you do it every second weekend you see each other then, and it'll only cost you once a month if you alternate weekends.

Good luck

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.