bring dog to university

Watch this thread
maddepadde
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi

I'll most likely live on campus my first year, but the off-campus the three others. Is there a way I can bring my dog with me from Norway to any off-campus residence my second year? I am applying to Bath, Durham, Bristol, Southampton, and Queen Mary if that makes any difference.

Also, would it be possible for my dog to live with someone else off campus (I'll take care of him and pay for everything ofc) during my first year? I can leave him home the first year, but I would prefer to bring him.
ubisoft
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
You can do anything off campus.
maddepadde
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by ubisoft)
You can do anything off campus.
It's my understanding that some landlords won't accept pets.
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by maddepadde)
Hi

I'll most likely live on campus my first year, but the off-campus the three others. Is there a way I can bring my dog with me from Norway to any off-campus residence my second year? I am applying to Bath, Durham, Bristol, Southampton, and Queen Mary if that makes any difference.

Also, would it be possible for my dog to live with someone else off campus (I'll take care of him and pay for everything ofc) during my first year? I can leave him home the first year, but I would prefer to bring him.
Hi

I'm a first year International Management student here at the University of Bath. We are not allowed to keep pets on university managed accommodation as shown in our Campus Life guide here. Some private landlords do however allow pets, I would recommend looking in Oldfield Park where there are a large number of houses to choose from at a fair price.

If you have any other questions feel free to quote me,

Hayden
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by University Of Bath)
Hi

I'm a first year International Management student here at the University of Bath. We are not allowed to keep pets on university managed accommodation as shown in our Campus Life guide here. Some private landlords do however allow pets, I would recommend looking in Oldfield Park where there are a large number of houses to choose from at a fair price.

If you have any other questions feel free to quote me,

Hayden
most student houses don't allow pets or won't allow some pets like dogs (because they can trash a place) no matter how good you say they are the point is the land lord can't know. you'll either have to suck it up or phone around asking landlords and house mates if it's ok if it was me I leave it with someone at home while your there and no uni accommodation will allow a dog.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi

you would be hard pressed to find a landlord allowing a student to keep a dog, as jonathanpage said they don't know if the dog is well trained or not. Plus you have to consider things like housemates might not want to live with a dog, you might not have much space for it all- most student houses have small living areas as they have downstairs bedrooms taking up some or all of the living room. You could get round these issues by renting your own place, but that is fairly expensive.
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
you won't be able to have pets as a student, you can get away with hiding something small like a hamster but not a dog

I doubt you'll find anyone off campus to care for it for you

even when you move out of halls, no student landlord will want someone with pets and many private landlords don't (or charge you extra) and a private rental will be more expensive so flatmates may not be happy...

overall... just leave the dog at home
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
It's my understanding that some landlords won't accept pets.
Landlords that accept pets are the exception rather than the rule in the UK, and it's even rarer to find a landlord who will accept a dog in a flat or shared housing.

You might be able to find someone to look after your dog for you in the local area, but it's not something that's usual, and I would expect this to be pretty expensive. This could also lead to problems if they could suddenly no longer care for your dog, or you became uncomfortable with the care they were giving your dog- what would you do in a short notice emergency?

I'm sure you don't want to leave your dog at home, but I don't think this plan is going to work out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (94)
20.17%
The paper was reasonable (178)
38.2%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.54%
It was TERRIBLE (75)
16.09%

Watched Threads