Turn on thread page Beta

Best College in Cambridge? watch

Announcements

In reply to the "Rich kids" jibe. I've been accepted to Trinity and I am far from rich. I go to a poor state school. I also know others from the Sutton Trust Summer school who have been accepted and who are also not expecting "mummy and daddy" to pay for tuition fees.

(Original post by Unregistered)
    In reply to the "Rich kids" jibe. I've been accepted to Trinity and I am far from rich. I go to a poor state school. I also know others from the Sutton Trust Summer school who have been accepted and who are also not expecting "mummy and daddy" to pay for tuition fees.
    I started at Trinity this time last year. I'll be starting my second year next year. What subject have you been accepted for?

I started at Trinity this time last year. I'll be starting my second year next year. What subject have you been accepted for?
    Maths, but I'm very unsure (i.e. doubtful) that I made my offer.

Right. We have quite a few MathMo's here, so you won't be lonely. Post back here if you do make your grades and I should pick up your post.

BTW, you picked the best college.

ReputationRep:
    BTW, you picked the best college.
    Are you two/three unregistered people or one unregistered person talking to yourself?

Ps, as you can see in my table on page 1, Pembroke college was the best academically in 2002.

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Are you two/three unregistered people or one unregistered person talking to yourself?

Ps, as you can see in my table on page 1, Pembroke college was the best academically in 2002.
    Yes, but historically Trinity has been about the best.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but historically Trinity has been about the best.
    Well History is not important in this case is it? unless you are studying it.

Does it actually matter which college you go to? Just getting into an institution like Cambridge is a fantastic acheivement.

Well History is not important in this case is it? unless you are studying it.

Does it actually matter which college you go to? Just getting into an institution like Cambridge is a fantastic acheivement.
    Well the reasons Cambridge and Oxford are so highly regarded is their excellent history of academic excellence.

The second comment is very true.

ReputationRep:
    Question - Are Cambridge students, like Oxford ones, unable to have cars and part-time jobs?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    Question - Are Cambridge students, like Oxford ones, unable to have cars and part-time jobs?

Thanks
    Yup! But it's pretty self-explanatory why they aren't allowed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Yup! But it's pretty self-explanatory why they aren't allowed.
    Indeed! You can walk or cycle to every lecture, and if you're short on cash...They give you some!!!

ReputationRep:
    if anybody gets the chance, watch countdown on channel 4. There is this student from trinity college, and then honestly tell me whether you could spend a few weeks with him. He is the geekiest person I have ever seen in my life, and that is saying something. Oh, and he does maths.

Ad

Edit (Mod Expression) - We can't make blanket statements about every Trinity maths student - when I went up to Durham there were several people that personified the typical image that people have of one of the better institutions in the country, but not everyone there is like that

(Original post by byb3)
    if anybody gets the chance, watch countdown on channel 4. There is this student from trinity college, and then honestly tell me whether you could spend a few weeks with him. He is the geekiest person I have ever seen in my life, and that is saying something. Oh, and he does maths.

Ad
    Which year is he in? Do you know what his name is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)

Ad
    That's not a very nice thing to say.

ReputationRep:
    excuse me..but that was my brother on countdown...i suggest u think whether or not u might be hurting someonmes feelings before posting....

CR

P.S:i was just joking but yes i did see countdown and i did not think that guy was too geeky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)

Ad
    I know lots of people who others may perceive as geeks. Just because they are clever does not mean that they are an inferior person in any way.

ReputationRep:
    the bloke on countdown did seem to love himself though.He also seemed the type to sit in his room studying all day (i know thats a bit of a generalisation)

(Original post by emom100)
    the bloke on countdown did seem to love himself though.He also seemed the type to sit in his room studying all day (i know thats a bit of a generalisation)
    It's not a generalisation, but more of an unfair judgement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Edit (Mod Expression) - We can't make blanket statements about every Trinity maths student - when I went up to Durham there were several people that personified the typical image that people have of one of the better institutions in the country, but not everyone there is like that
    That kid was a geek, no matter what you say. As you say yourself not everyone there is like that. I never made such a comment. I just said he was from Trinity college.

Which year is he in? Do you know what his name is?
    Have no idea....it'll be on tomorrow if you want to really know. (I think)

(Original post by Adhsur)
    That's not a very nice thing to say.
    The world is not a nice place.

(Original post by CR3)
    excuse me..but that was my brother on countdown...i suggest u think whether or not u might be hurting someonmes feelings before posting....

CR

P.S:i was just joking but yes i did see countdown and i did not think that guy was too geeky
    Yeah good one...Like you say, he wasn't 'too' geeky.

I know lots of people who others may perceive as geeks. Just because they are clever does not mean that they are an inferior person in any way.
    Surely being cleverer would make them superior? Anyway, being superior in one field always means you are inferior in another.

(Original post by emom100)
    Thankyou.

It's not a generalisation, but more of an unfair judgement.
    He's still a geek.

Ad

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.