The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 1
heya i'm looking to go to aston next year for audiology! it looks a wikid course!
do you find that the work load is taxing or are you able to have a good social life too? is it in balance or does it sway to one or the other?
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
The work load is pretty good actually, you have plenty of time for social stuff! Generally its about one assignment per month, which are usually no more than 1000 words. In term 1 you go to placement once a week but in term 2 and 3 there are no placements, so at the moment we have mondays and fridays off which is a great opportunity to catch up with work etc! (or just sleep :wink: )
Generally its a really good course though, well taught and the practical side is great fun! good luck with exams :smile:
Reply 3
Sophie,

Acouple of questions:-
What modules do you study?
Do patients with neurological conditions require assessment/treatment
from an audiologist?

Thanks,

Lottie.
Reply 4
Heya, the modules we've studied this year are:

Auditory assessment - learning the techniques on how to do the different types of tests.
Auditory sciences - biology and physics
Rehabilitation - how to get people to cope with having a hearing loss etc
Core professional studies - basically its a very easy version of law, involving NHS ethics etc.
Skills lab - where you get to perform loads of tests on your coursemates, great fun!
instrumentation/calibration - learning how hearing aids work
Pathology and diagnosis - ear diseases, genes and other medical things
Clinical practice - issues in audiology, how to be a good audiologist etc
child development - speech and language in kids, embryology.

When you say patients with neurological conditions do you mean psychological problems or actual neurological problems to do with their hearing, we've been doing about that today ya see so a bit confusing! But we will basically deal with anyone with a hearing problem, whether they have psychological problems or not, if that answers your Q at all?!
Reply 5
Lotts
Sophie,

Acouple of questions:-
What modules do you study?
Do patients with neurological conditions require assessment/treatment
from an audiologist?

Thanks,

Lottie.

Neurological conditions --> To do with the CNS & PNS.

Audiologists do test them with ABR but the doctors go into detail about it in the results etc. You learn it in your 2nd year at UCL... probs same at aston too.
Reply 6
Hi! Ihave been deciding to go to either aston or bristol for my firm and i don't know which!
Is Aston any good in their teaching?
What grades did you get in with and what were you offered?
Thanks!
Reply 7
Hey, I've found the teaching to generally be really good, the lecturers are always keen to help and it's good that its such a small course as you build up a good rapport with lecturers. Last year Aston were pretty lenient on their grades, mainly due to not many people applying for uni im guessing. I got in with B,C,D so its definatly possible to get in even if you don't get the required grades (usually!) Good Luck!

p.s. Aston all the way! (had to plug it a little!)

Latest