Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Respiration!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Over the past year I have struggled to understand what the electron transport chain is and how it works! I understood it about a month ago but now Ive complately forgoten it! Could a biology genius please explain it to me in simple terms??

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_remedi)
    Over the past year I have struggled to understand what the electron transport chain is and how it works! I understood it about a month ago but now Ive complately forgoten it! Could a biology genius please explain it to me in simple terms??

Thanks
    I have never heard of it. But I think that you will find the following link very useful.

Electron Transport Animation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_remedi)

Thanks
    I presume you're doing the OCR syllabus since you posted in the other thread.

AFAIK you don't need to know the electron transport chain in any detail at all, just that electrons are lost from the Hydrogens and enter the chain, releasing energy when they drop in energy level. The book is really **** at explaining this whole section, it doesn't place anywhere near the right amount of emphasis on chemiosmosis. The energy released during the ETC is used to move hydrogen ions into large enough concentrations in places such as the intermembrance space, so that a concentration gradient is formed and chemiosmosis can occur.

ReputationRep:
    The actual reason why the proton gradient yields energy is not expected at our level. we should just know:

-reduced NAD and FAD enter inner membranes of mitochondria.
    -Give up their hyrdogen where it is split into its constituent ions so H2 ill split into two protons H+ and two electron 2e-
    -the electrons are passed down a series of electron carriers (called cytochromes) from higher energy levels to lower energy levels.
    - These redox reactions provide enough energy to actively pump out hydrogen ions (H+) in the matrix into the inter-membrane space
    - The proton gradient between the intermembrane space and outside will cause H+ ions to move into the inermembrane space and then matrix by facilitated diffusion through stalked particles in the mitochondrion's membrane. ADP and inorganic phosphate (Pi) will also be carried.
    -As these H+ ions move down they "turn" the ATP synthase molecules so ATPis made: ADP + Pi ----ATP synthase----> ATP
    -The H+ ions recombine with the electrons at the end of the electron transport chain to for H2. This reacts with oxygen to form water - thus oxygen is the final acceptor: 0.5O2 + H2 --->H20
    - this process is called chemiosmosis

To be honest I doubt you'd need anywhere near this much detail. Key words which are usually awarded marks I made bold
    Good luck in the exam, although personally it's unifyinf concepts I'm dreading!

ReputationRep:
    cheers!!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.