daisymae21
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I understand that Psychology is more science based than Sociology but I am really confused which one to take. I take double science and am predicted B in all sciences. I wanna go into Criminilogy or policing so which one should I take?
Is Psychology really difficult to get a good grade in?
emiloujess
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by daisymae21)
I understand that Psychology is more science based than Sociology but I am really confused which one to take. I take double science and am predicted B in all sciences. I wanna go into Criminilogy or policing so which one should I take?
Either one is difficult to get a good grade in (trust me, I do both). If you're more into Science, do Psych. If you're better at Eng Lit, do Sociology (general idea). Both are hard to get good grades in, and there's a hell of a lot to remember either way. Try and do the one you enjoy most though

As for Criminology... largely depends on what units you do. In Sociology there's a Crime & Deviance unit, and in Psych there's a Forensic Psychology unit. In general Sociology would be the better option though
DeadEnd_96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For Psychology...

AS: Quite easy, but quite tedious.

A2: Lots of content to remember such as studies so it is quite difficult, but very interesting.
HemmingsHood
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Psychology is a lot more interesting x
daisymae21
Rep:
?
(Original post by HemmingsHood)
Psychology is a lot more interesting x

What's interesting about it?
daisymae21
Rep:
?
(Original post by DeadEnd_96)
For Psychology...

AS: Quite easy, but quite tedious.

A2: Lots of content to remember such as studies so it is quite difficult, but very interesting.
What's interesting about it? And why is it tedious?
elzprosser
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm in the process of applying to criminology now and I'm doing psychology as an a level- if you're good at the sciences that's probably the one I would recommend and there's a lot that you can link to criminology such as cognitive interviews. I regret not taking sociology as well at AS though

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheScienceBoy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Psychology looks better on application forms, while Sociology might be more related to your career choice.
DeadEnd_96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What's interesting about it? And why is it tedious?
At AS there is a topic called research methods which is very tedious to learn because you just learn about the principles of carrying out experiments and the disadvantages and advantages of carrying out different types of sampling, ethical issues for participants, validity, reliability, Experimental design, analysing data blah, blah, blah. There are some interesting topics in AS, but not a lot. Trust me. most people I know that studied AS Psychology found it to be quite monotonous at times.

However, A2 delves deeper into real life situations which makes it very fascinating. You learn topics in a more depth such as Schizophrenia, Aggression, Addiction, Sleep, Intelligence, Depression and so much more. Also the things you learn at A2 can be quite relatable to people's lives making more interesting. There is no doubt that there is a **** load of content to learn, but if you are naturally interested in the subject then you should be fine. Good luck
daisymae21
Rep:
?
(Original post by elzprosser)
I'm in the process of applying to criminology now and I'm doing psychology as an a level- if you're good at the sciences that's probably the one I would recommend and there's a lot that you can link to criminology such as cognitive interviews. I regret not taking sociology as well at AS though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do you regret it?
daisymae21
Rep:
?
(Original post by emiloujess)
Either one is difficult to get a good grade in (trust me, I do both). If you're more into Science, do Psych. If you're better at Eng Lit, do Sociology (general idea). Both are hard to get good grades in, and there's a hell of a lot to remember either way. Try and do the one you enjoy most though

As for Criminology... largely depends on what units you do. In Sociology there's a Crime & Deviance unit, and in Psych there's a Forensic Psychology unit. In general Sociology would be the better option though
Thank you, you were really helpful!
daisymae21
Rep:
?
Ok, thank you
(Original post by TheScienceBoy)
Psychology looks better on application forms, while Sociology might be more related to your career choice.
daisymae21
Rep:
?
(Original post by DeadEnd_96)
At AS there is a topic called research methods which is very tedious to learn because you just learn about the principles of carrying out experiments and the disadvantages and advantages of carrying out different types of sampling, ethical issues for participants, validity, reliability, Experimental design, analysing data blah, blah, blah. There are some interesting topics in AS, but not a lot. Trust me. most people I know that studied AS Psychology found it to be quite monotonous at times.

However, A2 delves deeper into real life situations which makes it very fascinating. You learn topics in a more depth such as Schizophrenia, Aggression, Addiction, Sleep, Intelligence, Depression and so much more. Also the things you learn at A2 can be quite relatable to people's lives making more interesting. There is no doubt that there is a **** load of content to learn, but if you are naturally interested in the subject then you should be fine. Good luck
Thank you, I definitely need it!
nicatre
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Look at what you'd end up learning and pick based on what you think you'd find most interesting. That's all
harmony_x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd opt for psychology. Its very interesting at AS and A2.
spiritless98
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got full marks for both AS psychology and sociology
AS for both is really easy
However I dropped sociology at AS
Both were very interesting - sociology is the easier one
But psychology at A2 is so much harder than AS its a joke
If you need advice just drop me a PM

Posted from TSR Mobile
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They both have a lot of memorising involved. You'll do more stats and bio stuff in psychology. You will want some of that stats background once you reach degree level for criminology type subjects but sociology is probably the more relevant subject overall. I took both and preferred sociology to be honest but I had a much better teacher!
elzprosser
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why do you regret it?
I would have really enjoyed the crime and deviance topic as well as most of the course, i ended up dropping biology which I took instead within a couple of months anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?