Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Doing more than 4 AS levels.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ..and messing up?
    Will universities take pity on you if you bit of more than you could chew?
    I did 6, and it looks like I'll get an A or 2 max, and the rest will be Bs, with maybe a C or two thrown in.

ReputationRep:
    You don't even need to declare your AS grades on your UCAS form- I don't know much about the process as it's confusing, but some schools refuse to "cash in" AS grades, which means that they don't become a certificated AS level. Talk to your school about not cashing in your grades, they'll know more about the process than I do! Therefore, you won't have official AS levels and don't need to mention it on your UCAS form. That'll give you time to retake stuff/sort yourself out so you can get the grades you want- If you have predicted grades that meets the Uni's typical offer, a nice reference and a good PS, then your AS grades won't matter, I think.

ReputationRep:
    If he doesn't put his AS-level grades done, how would the university judge him to give him a conditional or unconditional offer?

ReputationRep:
    Well here in Scotland most people do 5 Highers and they are harder than AS levels, yet we are expected to get AAAAA/B for Oxbridge etc., I don't see why people down south should treated any differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    If he doesn't put his AS-level grades done, how would the university judge him to give him a conditional or unconditional offer?
    Predicted grades from his school/college

ReputationRep:
    Alrite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicalsausage)
    Well here in Scotland most people do 5 Highers and they are harder than AS levels, yet we are expected to get AAAAA/B for Oxbridge etc., I don't see why people down south should treated any differently.
    Because we also do A-Levels which are harder than "highers".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Because we also do A-Levels which are harder than "highers".
    But then we do Advanced Highers that are harder than A-Levels .

I thought they were equivalent? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Just to be difficult?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I thought they were equivalent? :confused:
    Well they are equivalent in their tier level, if you catch my drift, but for many subjects the Advanced Highers are harder. This is especially true for Arts subjects.

I am not just pulling this out of nowhere by the way, I was at an Oxbridge conference thing earlier this week where Cambridge gave out a sheet of information for Scottish applicants that included a bit saying that they recognised that it is harder to receive the top grades in Advanced Highers than in A-Levels and that thus they sometimes would make Scottish candidates easier offers. And from personal experience, English universities sometimes make Scottish candidates unconditional offers where A-Level people have had hard offers - for example I know a girl who got an unconditional for Medicine at newcastle and another who got one for York.

Well they are equivalent in their tier level, if you catch my drift, but for many subjects the Advanced Highers are harder. This is especially true for Arts subjects.

I am not just pulling this out of nowhere by the way, I was at an Oxbridge conference thing earlier this week where Cambridge gave out a sheet of information for Scottish applicants that included a bit saying that they recognised that it is harder to receive the top grades in Advanced Highers than in A-Levels and that thus they sometimes would make Scottish candidates easier offers. And from personal experience, English universities sometimes make Scottish candidates unconditional offers where A-Level people have had hard offers - for example I know a girl who got an unconditional for Medicine at newcastle and another who got one for York.
    Ahhh, any thought on the implications for thse of us doing A-Levels and going to a Scottish university? I know that the most students in the 1st year will have Highers but if I opt for 2nd year entry, will I be disadvantaged by the fact that A-Levels are "easier" than AH's? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, any thought on the implications for thse of us doing A-Levels and going to a Scottish university? I know that the most students in the 1st year will have Highers but if I opt for 2nd year entry, will I be disadvantaged by the fact that A-Levels are "easier" than AH's? :confused:
    Nah of course not, there really is very little in it. Advanced Highers can afford to be a bit harder as most Scottish students go to Uni on the basis of their highers, so that even if they don't do well in their final year of school they can still go to an excellent university. I also suspect it is only in the Arts that there is any significant difference in difficulty due to the joys of the externally assessed dissertation that Advanced Highers entail. Anyway, a lot of the Scottish students at university here will have only highers, so you will in fact be overqualified. Advanced Highers and A Levels are to all extents and purposes equivalent - I am sorry if I got you worried!

Nah of course not, there really is very little in it. Advanced Highers can afford to be a bit harder as most Scottish students go to Uni on the basis of their highers, so that even if they don't do well in their final year of school they can still go to an excellent university. I also suspect it is only in the Arts that there is any significant difference in difficulty due to the joys of the externally assessed dissertation that Advanced Highers entail. Anyway, a lot of the Scottish students at university here will have only highers, so you will in fact be overqualified. Advanced Highers and A Levels are to all extents and purposes equivalent - I am sorry if I got you worried!

Nahh I'm just hoping that I'm not going to be out of my depth at Edinburgh. Still, I should get back to maths revision or I may not get there at all .

ReputationRep:
    Not many people do 5 AHs though do they? :|

ReputationRep:
    Nahh I'm just hoping that I'm not going to be out of my depth at Edinburgh. Still, I should get back to maths revision or I may not get there at all .
    You definitely won't be any more out of your depth here than you would be at any other Uni in Britain! Well done on choosing Edinburgh though, best city in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Not many people do 5 AHs though do they? :|
    Well that is true - I know of only one person who did. The generally accepted number is 3, with some doing 4 - much the same as A Levels. But this is because AHs require more individual work than A Levels for various reasons and so to take five (unless perhaps it included double maths and three less work intensive subjects) would be pretty crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Well that is true - I know of only one person who did. The generally accepted number is 3, with some doing 4 - much the same as A Levels. But this is because AHs require more individual work than A Levels for various reasons and so to take five (unless perhaps it included double maths and three less work intensive subjects) would be pretty crazy.
    There's a further maths advanced higher? Wow, I wonder what's in there. Probably first year undergraduate stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    There's a further maths advanced higher? Wow, I wonder what's in there. Probably first year undergraduate stuff.
    Well it is Applied Maths and apparently is quite easy. Definitely not first year level, apart from by Scottish Uni standards. As I said, the big difference is only really in the Arts.

ReputationRep:
    Well it is Applied Maths and apparently is quite easy. Definitely not first year level, apart from by Scottish Uni standards. As I said, the big difference is only really in the Arts.
    Oh I see.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.