The Student Room Group

Can someone look at my Imaginative Essay?

(Essay in attachment)
I'm writing an imaginative piece for English this year and It would be great if someone could take a look at it. I understand it wont be perfect as this version is prior to my first draft which I will be handing in soon so any adjustments/improvements that you think could be made would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by Lewis.G
(Essay in attachment)
I'm writing an imaginative piece for English this year and It would be great if someone could take a look at it. I understand it wont be perfect as this version is prior to my first draft which I will be handing in soon so any adjustments/improvements that you think could be made would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It's an interesting story line and shows good imagination! I was interested to see what happened! :smile::biggrin:
I think you could maybe put some more detail into the setting and the creature as I couldn't really imagine what it would look like. I understand that it's meant to be mysterious but some bits were a bit too vague for me, personally. When you say 'Thesound of the items inside the packet hitting against each other sounded likemetal. He calmly picked up 4 of these items and moved them over towards theobject now sitting on his lap. He had loaded one of these many times before sothis wasn’t too much trouble' I knew what they were, buy you could add more description like how the object (bullets I presume) were cold or that it felt heavy, something descriptive.

There was a few errors I picked up on, such as:

'Insidethe house say another man'

'Thehouse the two men were in was as neglected looking as any other he had comeacross nearby'- I feel like there should be a comma in this somewhere as I misread it and couldn't understand it at first.

'happenedby no...BOOM'- I didn't know if you did this to cut of his train of thought or just accidentally spelled it wrong, as it's spelled now

Overall, it's a good draft! It's fun when you get to do an imaginative piece, I wish we did that in a-level haha
Reply 2
Original post by Louanneee
It's an interesting story line and shows good imagination! I was interested to see what happened! :smile::biggrin:
I think you could maybe put some more detail into the setting and the creature as I couldn't really imagine what it would look like. I understand that it's meant to be mysterious but some bits were a bit too vague for me, personally. When you say 'Thesound of the items inside the packet hitting against each other sounded likemetal. He calmly picked up 4 of these items and moved them over towards theobject now sitting on his lap. He had loaded one of these many times before sothis wasn’t too much trouble' I knew what they were, buy you could add more description like how the object (bullets I presume) were cold or that it felt heavy, something descriptive.

There was a few errors I picked up on, such as:

'Insidethe house say another man'

'Thehouse the two men were in was as neglected looking as any other he had comeacross nearby'- I feel like there should be a comma in this somewhere as I misread it and couldn't understand it at first.

'happenedby no...BOOM'- I didn't know if you did this to cut of his train of thought or just accidentally spelled it wrong, as it's spelled now

Overall, it's a good draft! It's fun when you get to do an imaginative piece, I wish we did that in a-level haha

A lot of it was due to the fact that I added in the second man after I had finished it so some sentences don't make a lot of sense. Thanks for the tips on being more descriptive and yes I cut the 'now' short to end his train of thought but I understand that it isn't obvious that it's done for that reason :smile:
Well done! I really like your lovely story. I wish I could write like this.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending