How very saddened I am Watch

Chicken Bacon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
It is never justifiable to kill innocent people, but the very people we elected voted in an overwhelming majority to do just that.

Bombing Syria isn't going to just kill IS militants, there will be more civilian casualties than that of IS militants.

Tony Benn gives the most touching speech on bombing in the middle east in 1998 in parliament

Cut off IS's income. There are governments illegally trading with IS
We MUST stop IS, but not by bombing civilians who are fearing for there lives just as we are.
Foot soldiers is a great intervention, and we must infinitely honor our soldiers for their courage and bravery if this is, or will be, the means of intervention.
TheReckless
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it's ****ing heartbreaking, can't believe they're going through with it

since when has fighting fire with fire ended well?

this world makes me so sad.
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm very sad, sickened and disappointed too about the result but not surprised

Posted from TSR Mobile
eoe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well the cycle begins......
It should be natural for the Brits by now........
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And I will assume the end result will be more 'acts of terror' in the West.

The age of the warplane. Feels sort of like a doing something, and yet at the same time, not really doing anything.
unansweredpost1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anybody who thinks that the conflict will be resolved by other means either extremely naïve.

These people - to be blunt - want to murder, maim and rape their way through every country in the world. They are not going to stop or surrender. They have been brainwashed. You cannot negotiate with people who are willing to die for their cause.

Our only choice is to obliterate them now. Take out their strongholds, training camps and command centres.
Yes, there will be many civilian deaths - but let's get the facts straight - ISIL wants to kill all these people anyway. If we don't bomb, they will still be killed by the evil maniacs.

Either way, those poor people may lose their lives. Let's ensure that this infestation of evil doesn't spread, God forbid, to our countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Indeterminate
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's as if the whole planet wants to bomb Syria and wipe out all of those innocent lives that remain :sad:

Yes, Daesh is a barbaric organisation that needs to be stopped, but airstrikes alone will never put things to an end. It's far more likely to fuel their propoganda machine, if anything.

To say that this is heartbreaking is an understatement :cry2:
unansweredpost1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Indeterminate)
It's as if the whole planet wants to bomb Syria and wipe out all of those innocent lives that remain :sad:

Yes, Daesh is a barbaric organisation that needs to be stopped, but airstrikes alone will never put things to an end. It's far more likely to fuel their propoganda machine, if anything.

To say that this is heartbreaking is an understatement :cry2:
So what, allow ISIL to kill those poor innocents anyway? That's all that will happen.
At least let those poor people die (if they do) in an attempt to rid the Earth of that foul evil rather than by the hands of said evil.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LordGaben
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by unansweredpost1)
Anybody who thinks that the conflict will be resolved by other means either extremely naïve.

These people - to be blunt - want to murder, maim and rape their way through every country in the world. They are not going to stop or surrender. They have been brainwashed. You cannot negotiate with people who are willing to die for their cause.

Our only choice is to obliterate them now. Take out their strongholds, training camps and command centres.
Yes, there will be many civilian deaths - but let's get the facts straight - ISIL wants to kill all these people anyway. If we don't bomb, they will still be killed by the evil maniacs.

Either way, those poor people may lose their lives. Let's ensure that this infestation of evil doesn't spread, God forbid, to our countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whilst this is true, it is also naive to consider this possible without credible ground troops willing to focus mainly on ISIL and not Assad. Not to mention the fact that these rebel forces can easily grow from all the support they are getting and become the terrorists of tomorrow.
Betelgeuse-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheReckless)
it's ****ing heartbreaking, can't believe they're going through with it

since when has fighting fire with fire ended well?

this world makes me so sad.
WW1 and WW2 for starters

im against military intervention in Syria ftr
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't worry about it. Your line of thinking has led to a situation where ISIS has managed to murder most of the civilians under its control.

Bizarre world where people think the moral course of action is to sit back and watch butchery, shrug their shoulders and say well at least no one was hurt by me trying to stop them
Chicken Bacon
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're naive to think that airstrikes will obliterate IS.

"these people are gonna get murdered, so let's murder them anyway". What a preposterous thing to say.
unansweredpost1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LordGaben)
Whilst this is true, it is also naive to consider this possible without credible ground troops willing to focus mainly on ISIL and not Assad. Not to mention the fact that these rebel forces can easily grow from all the support they are getting and become the terrorists of tomorrow.
I completely agree. Air strikes are simply a method by which to (hopefully) remotely neutralise targets without loss of life to your own troops, which is why they have considerably more backing from the public than other forms of military intervention. They are largely ineffective in removing the grassroots movement behind this evil in the area purely because the rats hide among civilians.

I fully support a global coalition of ground troops launching a full on assault on these evil scumbags. But this can't just be the West's job, we need to see mass resources and troops coming from America, Europe, Russia, China, and all the Arab countries so world sees this is not "the west vs islam" but "the world vs evil".

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheReckless
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
You honestly think that by bombing Syria, you'll wipe out ISIS? who's being naive now?

And how dare you use the danger these innocent civilians are in as a justification to kill them. What a disgusting perspective to take on. "they're going to be killed by evil maniacs, so we might as well kill them before these maniacs have the chance to".

Smh I'm done
unansweredpost1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chicken Bacon)

"these people are gonna get murdered, so let's murder them anyway". What a preposterous thing to say.
(Original post by TheReckless)
You honestly think that by bombing Syria, you'll wipe out ISIS? who's being naive now?

And how dare you use the danger these innocent civilians are in as a justification to kill them. What a disgusting perspective to take on. "they're going to be killed by evil maniacs, so we might as well kill them before these maniacs have the chance to".

Smh I'm done
Not at all. Never have I said that the airstrikes will obliterate ISIL. They can't. As I said earlier, air strikes are simply a method by which to (hopefully) remotely neutralise targets without loss of life to your own troops, which is why they have considerably more backing from the public than other forms of military intervention. They are largely ineffective in removing the grassroots movement behind this evil in the area purely because the rats hide among civilians.

I fully support a global coalition of ground troops launching a full on assault on these evil scumbags. But this can't just be the West's job, we need to see mass resources and troops coming from America, Europe, Russia, China, and all the Arab countries so world sees this is not "the west vs islam" but "the world vs evil".

ISIL are hurting and killing people in Syria all the time. Do you honestly think you are helping them by sitting back and saying "well it's nothing to do with us"?
While air strikes will of course have many innocent casualties, at least don't let them die through the spread of such evil. Give the poor souls a meaningful death should the unfortunate situation arise, for on the backs of those who died due to intervention will be formed a new democratic nation of people grateful to those people - rather than your approach of humanising the ISIL rats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chicken Bacon)

Air strikes have already led to ISIS being pushed back in quite a few places in Iraq and Syria. When there is a capable force to do the fighting on the ground, air strikes work brilliantly.

The main problem in Syria is the politics around the Assad government - most of ISIS' recent (past 6 months or so) successes have been against the Syrian government, which the west does not support with air strikes for various reasons. So for much of Syria (the non Kurdish areas of Syria), the only ground force fighting ISIS does not benefit much from western air strikes, and ISIS has been able to make gains. The ground force is the problem area, not the air strikes.
LordGaben
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I completely agree. Air strikes are simply a method by which to (hopefully) remotely neutralise targets without loss of life to your own troops, which is why they have considerably more backing from the public than other forms of military intervention. They are largely ineffective in removing the grassroots movement behind this evil in the area purely because the rats hide among civilians.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I question the effectiveness of these airstrikes without co-operation with the syrian government and syrian army in the short-mid term or until this global coalition is achieved. As David Davis mentioned in his speech today, the Russians are receiving far more intel than we are. Due to Russian intervention to help Assad, they must be involved in the transition process of the syrian government when ISIL is hopefully weakened/ dealt with but it must be in the hands of the syrian people to have the final say, not us. We have no right to impose regime change on the middle east as past interventions has shown.
TornadoGR4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Instead of air strikes we should send strongly worded (but politically correct) letters as that will show them & it's safer.
Tempest II
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe we should send a few people from TSR to negotiate with ISIS...
This bloke even invited them for lunch bit they turned it down unless they could behead him.

They were coming for him and his people. Friends were being killed or fleeing for their lives. So Andrew White did what he always does when faced with an enemy. “I invited the leaders of Isis [Islamic State] for dinner. I am a great believer in that. I have asked some of the worst people ever to eat with me.”This extraordinarily self-confident priest is best known as the vicar of Baghdad, leader of a church in the chaos outside the protected Green Zone. He made his offer last year as the terrorist forces threatened to take the city. Did he get a reply? “Isis said, ‘You can invite us to dinner, but we’ll chop your head off.’ So I didn’t invite them again!” And he roars with laughter, despite believing that Islamic State has put a huge price on his head, apparently willing to pay $157m (£100m) to anyone who can kill this harmless-looking eccentric. Canon White was a doctor before he became a priest and could be one still, in his colourful bow-tie and double-breasted blazer with a pocket square spilling silk. But appearances are deceptive. For the last two decades, he has worked as a mediator in some of the deadliest disputes on Earth, in Israel and Palestine, Iraq and Nigeria. He has sat down to eat with terrorists, extremists, warlords and the sons of Saddam Hussein, with presidents and prime ministers. White has been shot at and kidnapped, and was once held captive in a room littered with other people’s severed fingers and toes, until he talked his way out of it. He is an Anglican priest but was raised a Pentecostal and has that church’s gift of the gab, even though multiple sclerosis (MS) makes him drawl like a posh barfly. “When I went on Radio 4 talking about Baghdad there were complaints because they thought I was drunk. I wasn’t!”
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-a6716616.html
a noble chance
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
People who oppose these air strikes do not seem to have any awareness of how effective they actually are in suppressing and pushing back the enemy. Not a single MP in yesterday's debate believed that airstrikes alone will solve the problem, but, as Benn said, they will help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (431)
58.64%
Yes- I don't like it (40)
5.44%
No- I want it (214)
29.12%
No- I don't want it (50)
6.8%

Watched Threads

Latest