World Cup set to expand to 40 teams

Watch
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The World Cup is on the verge of being expanded to 40 teams from 2026, according to the Guardian.

More here: http://www.theguardian.com/football/...ms-fifa-reform

While this may be good for smaller nations (you imagine it'll really benefit minnows from the likes of OFC, CONCACAF etc.) surely there becomes a point where the tournament is too large and saturated? It may lose interest, given it's supposed to be an elite competition.

There will be mismatches (more than there are now!) but the end game will be the same: eight quarter-finalists, with half from UEFA, a few from CONMEBOL, maybe one from Asia or a curveball from Africa.

So, thoughts?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
So, thoughts?
Means we might actually play games we can win.
localfox1000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
its only 8 more teams. could get used to it.
Mackay
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Means we might actually play games we can win.
As I said, though, the end game will be the same. A few people have been tweeting that it means there should be no excuse for the likes of Scotland not to qualify, but you imagine the UEFA berths will stay the same and the other eight competing nations will be from other federations.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hmmm, I'm not too sure about this. It may mean that some teams who may not have previously played in the tourament, may actually get a chance.
Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sounds fine to me... what's five teams in a group instead of four?

Not a problem. It's a good move, I think.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As I said, though, the end game will be the same. A few people have been tweeting that it means there should be no excuse for the likes of Scotland not to qualify, but you imagine the UEFA berths will stay the same and the other eight competing nations will be from other federations.
Exactly. We're (slightly) more likely to beat Fiji than we are Slovenia.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Exactly. We're (slightly) more likely to beat Fiji than we are Slovenia.
But the end game will be the same, because we won't manage to beat any top 20 nation. So, the whole thing is superfluous, and just lacks the intensity of a World Cup.

What's the point in nations like Djibouti turning up to play? They won't advance, and they'll get battered by any half-decent side, who will eventually just get battered by a Germany, Spain, Brazil or Argentina.
Mackay
Rep:
?
(Original post by localfox1000)
its only 8 more teams. could get used to it.
Two more groups, one more round of matches. World Cups have already expanded through the years. So, where will it end? Eventually you reach domestic cup territory in terms of the number of teams, meaning a month-long tournament is unfeasible.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But the end game will be the same, because we won't manage to beat any top 20 nation. So, the whole thing is superfluous, and just lacks the intensity of a World Cup.

What's the point in nations like Djibouti turning up to play? They won't advance, and they'll get battered by any half-decent side, who will eventually just get battered by a Germany, Spain, Brazil or Argentina.
I don't get why you're trying to suggest that's a bad thing? There are 210+ nations in FiFA, iirc, we're talking about less than a quarter getting through to a big tournament once every four years. Why not let them in?

Is the Olympics 100m final less of an event because random backwater place can enter a guy in the first heat who runs it in 14s?
localfox1000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Two more groups, one more round of matches. World Cups have already expanded through the years. So, where will it end? Eventually you reach domestic cup territory in terms of the number of teams, meaning a month-long tournament is unfeasible.
i know what you mean. 40 is definitely pushing it. it shouldn't get any bigger.

i think the extension just might add to the fun. more games to watch- i won't complain.
Mackay
Rep:
?
I don't get why you're trying to suggest that's a bad thing? There are 210+ nations in FiFA, iirc, we're talking about less than a quarter getting through to a big tournament once every four years. Why not let them in?

Is the Olympics 100m final less of an event because random backwater place can enter a guy in the first heat who runs it in 14s?
Two more groups means four more teams advance from the group stage, meaning an extra round of fixtures. No, the 100m final isn't changed by that, but its allure as an event would be changed if they had to run it, say, twice.
iamthetruth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No this is completely wrong it is supposed to be a world cup you need to earn the right to be there it doesn't need 40 teams
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Get rid of Blatter, Plantini and all those old *******s then I'll be happy. Need new fresh younger blood who aren't corrupt and rotten to the core.
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
32 is fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
moggis
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hmmm. I think both Drewski and McKay made valid points.( In fact it's the first time I've ever agreed with either of them about anything,ha)

I don't see anything wrong with it myself.

It's funny cos when I were a nipper I sometimes fantasised about what I would want in an ideal future and as football was my whole world ( sigh) my fantasies involved football a lot.

And one of my fantasies was having exactly 40 teams in the World Cup Finals! *( I kid you not!)

The disadvantages include even more tedious International breaks and meaningless qualifying games for many countries including England of course.(Note,there were no stupid international breaks at the time I fantasised about this)

But from a purely selfish point of view it will make betting on tournament top scorer easier to trade and it should make World Cup fantasy football more interesting.

And the extra groups will also make things more interesting generally of course.

So yep.Why not? It's only a game....

* Other fantasies fwiw included a player being sold for £10million,Spurs winning the European Cup,Spurs having a 60,000 capacity brand new stadium,Leeds United being relegated,being able to watch more than one live game on a weekend on TV and Mancheter United winning 'the first division' again.
The Shed End
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
More football so idgaf

Won't be introduced for 11 years anyway.
TornadoGR4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by moggis)
* Other fantasies fwiw included a player being sold for £10million,Spurs winning the European Cup,Spurs having a 60,000 capacity brand new stadium,Leeds United being relegated,being able to watch more than one live game on a weekend on TV and Mancheter United winning 'the first division' again.
Mackay
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Shed End)
More football so idgaf

Won't be introduced for 11 years anyway.
Good point. I'm planning to be dead by then, anyway.
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It'll have no effect on the OFC and no effect on the minnows of AFC. The only major change would be for OFC and AFC to merge or partner. Otherwise AFC minnows will continue to play just 2 competitive (in name. mostly) games every few years and the OFC will just be New Zealand beating everyone else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (89)
28.08%
No - I have already returned home (40)
12.62%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (61)
19.24%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
10.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (95)
29.97%

Watched Threads