The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Computer Science with Mathematics - advice needed

In applying for a joint honours, both schools must approve the application. For the school of mathematics, do they take into account the fact that the applicant is doing joint honours? I was checking this link:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect/university/university_of_st_andrews

From this it seems the standard of successful applicants doing single honours mathematics is really high, added with the fact that I didn't do further mathematics, have not done STEP and my personal statement is stronger on comp sci than maths, I'm worried that my application will get rejected as result. St Andrews is literally the only university I want to get into.

Grades: GCE: A* Maths A* Chemistry A Physics GCSE: 4A* 4A 2B (A* Maths)

Firstly, If my application is approved by the school of comp sci but not the school of mathematics, would I be completely rejected or would I be able to get a place for just comp sci? Secondly, if not, then would I be able to apply for both 'Computer Science' and 'Computer Science with Mathematics' at St Andrews now to avoid this? Or is that not allowed or would actually hinder my chances?

I would appreciate any help, thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Pemble
In applying for a joint honours, both schools must approve the application. For the school of mathematics, do they take into account the fact that the applicant is doing joint honours? I was checking this link:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect/university/university_of_st_andrews

From this it seems the standard of successful applicants doing single honours mathematics is really high, added with the fact that I didn't do further mathematics, have not done STEP and my personal statement is stronger on comp sci than maths, I'm worried that my application will get rejected as result. St Andrews is literally the only university I want to get into.

Grades: GCE: A* Maths A* Chemistry A Physics GCSE: 4A* 4A 2B (A* Maths)

Firstly, If my application is approved by the school of comp sci but not the school of mathematics, would I be completely rejected or would I be able to get a place for just comp sci? Secondly, if not, then would I be able to apply for both 'Computer Science' and 'Computer Science with Mathematics' at St Andrews now to avoid this? Or is that not allowed or would actually hinder my chances?

I would appreciate any help, thanks.

In your first two years you normally do modules in your chosen subject plus modules in two other subjects. If you apply for Comp Sci perhaps you could pick up maths on entry as one of your other modules. http://www.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospective-ug/cs-programme-structure
I would imagine - as I know happens in other subjects - you could switch to joint honours later, provided you have taken all the compulsory modules for both. It's a very flexible system. But you might want to check that with the admissions office.
My son applied to two different courses at Durham and got offers for both. I have a feeling from past years that some people who applied for two related courses at St Andrews were told they would only be considered for one and the university decided which. But again, that's something the admissions office can advise on.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by oldlady
In your first two years you normally do modules in your chosen subject plus modules in two other subjects. If you apply for Comp Sci perhaps you could pick up maths on entry as one of your other modules. http://www.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospective-ug/cs-programme-structure
I would imagine - as I know happens in other subjects - you could switch to joint honours later, provided you have taken all the compulsory modules for both. It's a very flexible system. But you might want to check that with the admissions office.
My son applied to two different courses at Durham and got offers for both. I have a feeling from past years that some people who applied for two related courses at St Andrews were told they would only be considered for one and the university decided which. But again, that's something the admissions office can advise on.

Thanks for the reply.
Hi,

You should not apply to both CS and CS/Maths as our University's policy is to only make one offer per applicant. So in other words you will be wasting a slot if you apply for two courses. My advice is to apply for the course for which you can write the strongest personal statement, and the one which is in line with your other university choices (i.e., if you were applying to four other straight CS courses then it would be best to apply for straight CS at St Andrews since you would be able to write a strong personal statement for all five choices).

I hope that this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending