The Student Room Group

Lord of the Flies Ralph essay help urgent?!!

I missed two weeks of school, and during that time my class read Lord of the Flies, I went back in to school today and was told I should have been reading it at home and was asked if I had been, to which I responded yes in the heat of the moment. My teacher has now given me an essay to complete over night on Ralph. The question is "what do you think of Ralph and the way he is presented in Lord of the flies". I have a very brief idea of what happens throughout because I've just watched the film in the hope it would do the trick, but I don't know anywhere near enough as I should do in order to write this essay. Can somebody please help me? I don't mind how, a starting point, key quotes?? Anything would be highly appreciated. Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Hi!
Ralph is a symbol of democracy and purity, this is mainly shown through his appearance "fair haired" compared to Jack's fiery red hair and his leadership over the boys through the use of democracy.
Ralph can be viewed as the first the leader on the Island however I would argue that without Piggy his authority wouldn't be as influential on the boys as Piggy is the brains and organisation of the Island, Ralph has the confidence to lead but he needs Piggy.
He is totally against Jack and the "Savages" on the island because he believes that his "daddy" will come to rescue them, so in result of that he tries to keep normality on the island, whereas Jack just wants to hunt, Ralph wants to build the camp.
He has a strong connection with the conch, he sees it as the item that creates the power on the Island, and when it is broken near the end of the novel Ralph doesn't know what to do because it is a symbol of all democracy and capitalism being eradicated from the Island!

I hope that kind of helped?
Reply 2
Why didn't you read it?
I'd go back and apologise and say you lied. Also as it's 17h later, guessing it's too late anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending